Photo
- - - - -

Finding a good psychiatrist

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Taran

• 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hi all! I've been lurking on the forum for about a year now and have in the past tried many suppliments. My latest quest is for provigil. I was wondering if any one knows how to find a 'liberal' or forward thinking doctor that wouldn't give me a hard time about a provigil prescription. I'm in the Raleigh area if any one knows specifics. I've seen a couple threads about listing doctors, but no one mentioned if they were likely to prescribe.

Thanks!!

Edited by Taran, 22 July 2008 - 10:31 PM.

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:13 AM

I'm assuming you just need a prescription, why not just see a general practitioner? A psych. will be very costly.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Taran

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

I'm assuming you just need a prescription, why not just see a general practitioner? A psych. will be very costly.

I didnt know I could do that, I thought a psychiatrist had to prescribe. A general practitioner is the same person you would see if you had the flu or something?

#4 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

A Dr. is a Dr. You would want to see a psych. if you have some serious mental issues. Above an ear, nose and throat guy that is.

#5 Taran

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

Well then to change my question, does any one know a list or any specific doctors in the Raleigh area that are likely to prescribe provigil?

Or, how about a "script" of sorts that I can remember that will make it more likely?

#6 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:53 PM

Any doctor who has a title of M.D. (medical doctor) or D.O. (doctor of osteopathy) can prescribe any medication. In some states, an N.D. (naturopathic doctor) can prescribe medications as well but not many.

I would say the majority of children and adults alike get scheduled substances (narcotic pain medicine, amphetamines, ritalin, etc..) from family doctors or general practitioners.

Psychiatrists are more notorious for prescribing benzodiazepines, SSRI's, and MAOI's. Basically, medicine for mood disorders like depression, anxiety, psychosis, etc...

On a side note, many general practitioners will not prescribe ritalin or adderall type medications without an actual diagnosis from a clinical psychologist. This, of course, is to limit liability if the FDA or DEA ever tried to say the doctor was prescribing too much scheduled substances. This actually happens quite frequently believe it or not.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Taran

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

Yes, I've actually experienced this.  The psychiatrist who I went to see previously was trying like hell to get me on Wellbutrin, not at all what I was interested in. I went to see this guy semi-regularly a couple years ago and he gave me generic ritalin, but he eventually stopped and referred me to a doctor who was supposed to continue the prescribing, but wouldn't because I didn't have officially diagnosed ADD.

That still leaves the question: whats the best way/person to get a Provigil prescription from?

Edited by Taran, 24 July 2008 - 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users