* * * * * 1 votes

tip to everybody for helping the institute succeed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:50 AM

If you click on forums and then scroll to the bottom you can see a thing that says "newest member" or something like that, and then it gives the name.

I think this is a good idea, pm them and greet those new members as often as you have time for and remember to. Maybe a lot of you already do this. Getting them to come here is one thing, but getting them to come back is key.

Alot of new members probably just forget, being that theres so much out there always flying at them in cyberspace, but to engage them in a convo is to give them something extra to remember and to return for to continue.

Edited by brokenportal, 28 July 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

I just did it. I sent skein, our most recent member, a pm.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 28 July 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

Does anybody else already do this?

#4 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

bump

#5 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

no but it's a great idea to attract new members. I never thought of that thanks broken portal!

Edited by dfowler, 06 December 2008 - 09:35 AM.

#6 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

I and others chat with new members and welcome them all the time. This is invaluable for keeping members around. More members of course means more ideas and discussion and progress. Our lives depend on this kind of stuff. So please do engage all the new members you can in convo and get them to stick around. Many of them are hard core life extension pioneer minded people. We certainly want them to stick around. We think that SENS and MFURI MPrize and CEL and CAR and the sunday evening update and fah and stuff like that are good ideas now. They are just a few of the many to come. For example, do we think that Aubrey is the only person in the world with thoughts able to cut through to the heart of aging like this? There must be hundreds or thousands more. We need their ideas, and if they come here but leave because they see nothing but off topic and supplements talk, and nobody is engaging them in convo about the cause then they will leave and that would be tragic.

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

I especially monitor when people make an introductory post and welcome them, comment on their journey, and engage their ideas.

#8 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

So far I know that you, me, and dnamechanic do a lot of this. I think there are others and I encourage more. I pm about 3 new members a day, but we few can only keep up discussions with so many people. This is an excellent opportunity for people looking for easy ways to help to make difference. I think, though I could be wrong, that this is very crucial to helping make new members feel like this is a place with something going on that they want to stick around. Show them around, tell them about the highlights of the site, find out about them, make them feel welcome, etc...

#9 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

*Bump*

even if there is no need but it is true that when you first come here, you need good reasons to come back.
Conversations here are very technical so it's quite hard, especially when it is not your language.
So thank you broken for the several PM informing about meetings and events,... i confirme it helps a LOT !!!

#10 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

I especially monitor when people make an introductory post and welcome them, comment on their journey, and engage their ideas.

I'm with you on this Mind, I do the same when I see someone who introduces themselves. I wasn't aware that you could scan for new members. I'll try to to help roll out the welcome mat when I can.

#11 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

Conversations here are very technical so it's quite hard, especially when it is not your language.

Isn't there an old saying that goes something like, (people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care)? :|?

#12 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

Alright, great job everybody who works on this. These simple things help create a "tipping point" that causes a theme or a meme or a cause or whatever it is, to go viral. Ive been reading the book called "the tipping point" it confirms and strengthens a lot of ideas like this that alot of us already have and talk about. Every little thing adds up. One point they make is that some people think there is some kind of 20 80 rule in marketing. Im not sure how true it is, but Ive been thinking in context of it and it seems to be true. If we pm all the new members more often then Ill bet we can get around 20% of them to become regular members. That would be a huge percent and add towards the tip.

#13 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

Point well taken BP.

I do occasionally greet newcomers, but I'll try to be more consistent about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users