Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Your Job and Technology Advancement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

Have you taken into consideration how technology advancements and the changes they're going to bring to society may affect your current or future profession?

Many people don't think much ahead, and sometimes a technology (or societal) advancement/breakthrough makes them suddenly useless, having to learn entirely new skills. Most people here probably know about this proccess' existence, called creative destruction.

Have you thought about it much? How do you think that the technology advancements that you believe are going to happen in the future are going to affect your professional life? And have you prepared/changed your professional path in order to not get "caught unprepared" by these technological/societal changes that you believe will happen?

#2 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Clever people will always adapt... but yes, I have thought about it. I'm in IT business, and even though the exact job I currently do might not exist in the future, I think I'll be fine. Computers aren't going anywhere for a while.

#3 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

That's why I'm doing a double major in electrical engineering and computer science. So that not only will I be able to keep up with the changes, but I would also help bring forth those changes! ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 n25philly

• 88 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

I work in IT, so I'm sure that as things advance I'll have some use.

#5 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

You will outmode your parents.

I'm probably working on stuff that will kill my father's job. Just a consequence of a fast automating society. My father will probably retire before it hits his industry. But imagine a son working on stuff that outmodes his father? I don't think everyone will be jolly about that future.

But aren't children made to outdo parents?

Edited by JackChristopher, 29 October 2009 - 02:35 PM.

#6 CerebralCortex

• 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

Yes I have thought about where my profession is going. I'm currently working as software developer for embedded/firmware technology and it seems to be a job of the future. However I'd prefer to be working now in one of the three fields of genetics, nanotech or robotics. I would especially like to work in genomics via bioinformatics from my understanding genetics is all about information. Unfortunately that may mean going back to college.

#7 harris13.3

• 87 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

Well if Kurzweil is correct and computers replace humans in science-related professions by 2050 then I guess I'll be out of a job too.

The ironic thing is that my job would have probably helped to make this happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users