Photo
- - - - -

Theanine replacement

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

My stomach can't handle theanine. It's sad because theanine is wonderful to get a restful sleep. I wake up much more refreshed in the morning. I don't need something to help me sleep. I sleep usely quite well (that is, stay unconscious all night long) but I know that the little hamster keep running even if all blinds are close.

I guess I need something that has an effect on alpha waves like theanine do but it seems to be unique to theanine.

#2 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

Cyproheptadine (Periactin) is an antihistamine which, unlike the U.S. OTC central antihistamines which are all serotonergic, is an antagonist at the 5ht2a/c receptors. Functionally, this increases dopaminergic transmission (as theanine does), alongside the sedative antihistamine properties. It has been found in studies to markedly improve sleep quality (again, unlike diphenhydramine et al, which mess it up), with an increased presence of delta waves thought to indicate deeper sleep.

It's prescription in the United States, OTC in Canada, and the Canadian mail-order pharmacies will ship it to the U.S. w/o prescription, though that is of course your risk. Personally I find it works quite well -- my sleep is more refreshing than it has been in ages -- and don't consider purchasing it a very serious risk.

Edited by graatch, 17 August 2008 - 09:39 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jackinbox

• Topic Starter
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Cyproheptadine (Periactin) is an antihistamine which, unlike the U.S. OTC central antihistamines which are all serotonergic, is an antagonist at the 5ht2a/c receptors. Functionally, this increases dopaminergic transmission (as theanine does), alongside the sedative antihistamine properties. It has been found in studies to markedly improve sleep quality (again, unlike diphenhydramine et al, which mess it up), with an increased presence of delta waves thought to indicate deeper sleep.

It's prescription in the United States, OTC in Canada, and the Canadian mail-order pharmacies will ship it to the U.S. w/o prescription, though that is of course your risk. Personally I find it works quite well -- my sleep is more refreshing than it has been in ages -- and don't consider purchasing it a very serious risk.

Thanks for those infos. I live in Canada and will try to find it. I never heard of it. I guess I will have to look in the allergy medecines section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users