Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Polydatin - Better than Resveratrol?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 ken_akiba

• 199 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

Basically a prodrug form of resveratrol. You can buy it here if want 'real' thing though very very expensive.
http://biolinks.co.jp/Polyphenols.php

Not to 'water the fire' though :-) just like resveratrol, Polydatin is making no headline in Japan. Btw, I think 100mg of this thing is a serious overdose considering its bioavailability. Just my opinion.

Edited by ken_akiba, 21 May 2010 - 05:24 PM.

• like x 1

#62 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Some Japanese researchers have reported on [polydatin] metabolites, and it results in high blood levels of resveratrol, higher than one gets by taking resveratrol. It seems to bypass intestinal glucoronidation and first pass liver metabolism, giving quite a spike.

I just looked it up, and a polydatin molecule seems like a resveratrol molecule plus some attachment.

Whatever that is attached to resveratrol may be protecting it from glucoronidation.

Pretty interesting.

Pricing?

$125 / 100 gr http://www.kingherbs.com/prod03.htm

Have you tried it? I'm considering it but it currently says "on backorder". Any other sources?
  • like x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

Any more news on Polydatin so far?
Anyone still taking it with good effects?
I found a supplier who sells 100g for 39usd which seems prety fair.
I will order a batch and find a lab to run an analysis on that, unless you guys tell me that Polydatin is not envogue anymore :)

#64 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

I would be suspicious at that price; polydatin is derived from the same plant, and much the same process, as resveratrol, but with a much lower yield. Not that the quality of the goods is necessarily bad, but it could be from a remaindered lot of 10 or 20 kilos, that a factory made on spec, or has left after filling a larger order. Thus it could be old stock,though not necessarily. Further, resveratrol is partly metabolized in the body to polydatin, which again breaks down into resveratrol. Whether this is helpful or not is moot. We do know combining polydatin with resveratrol results in higher transient blood levels of resveratrol according to measurements performed by one of our members. It might be possible to get the same effect simply by taking a higher dose of resveratrol. Having collected many anectdotal accounts of different variations of dose and combinations of various other ingredients with resveratrol, I've comcluded there is a good deal of individual variability in different individualls' response. This may be due to genetically determined metabolic differences, different efficiencies for the enzymes that metabolize resveratrol and related phytochemicals. I found no advantage to using polydatin, whereas another individual considers it essential. For me there is a sweet spot using luteolin and resveratrol in a 2:1 ratio, another cannot tolerate luteolin. Not many here seem to be that enthusiastic for polydatin, perhaps because the effects overlap resveratrol so much. I think you have to experiment to find what works for you, hopefully with some monitoring tools such as a aglucose meter, scale, something to measure your exercise performance and efficiency. Without some kind of measurment for monitoring, it's easy for wishful thinking and placebo effect to overwhelm reason.

(FWIW. to make resveratrol, the cut roots of Polygonum cuspidatum are fermented before extraction, and this converts polydatin present into resveratrol, thus nearly doubling the yield when the alcohol extraction is performed.)
  • like x 1

#65 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hi Maxwatt,

Thank you for your quick reply!

The price is honestly too good to be true, especially because they have very low shipping rates. I made good experiance with some medical mushroom extracts I orderd with them before, though I just orderd samples. (They provide free samples)
They also carry Resveratrol (99% trans-resv) for 39usd/100Gramm.
I was going to add Polydatin to my current Resveratrol/Pterostilbene stack.
I will see if I can get a cheap glucosemeter to do some testing.

Best regards

#66 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hi Maxwatt,

I have been looking further into the luteolin, which sounds very interesting.
I orderd a sample quantity to try it out in combination with polydatin, resveratrol and pterostilbene.
You write some can not handle it. Do you mean because it may have ""psychoactive" properties in some?
You say you use a 2:1 ratio luteolin : resveratrol - are you 500mg resveratrol?
What do you think is the minimal effective dose for the luteolin, to enhance resveratrol efficiency?

Thanks for letting me know!

Cephalon

#67 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

One person reported luteolin aggravated asthma, or caused similar breathing problems. It is not as well studied as res, so be cautious, tirade dose from low to higher. I use about 500 mg luteolin to 250 resveratrol currently. I do not know minimum effective dose. Most formulations that combine them use 25 to 50 mg luteolin, which I think is too low for optimum effect. But YMMV.

Edited by maxwatt, 12 November 2011 - 06:05 AM.

#68 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for your help maxwatt!

To be sure, I'll start with 50mg Luteolin, bumping the dose up in 100mg steps to 250mg.
Than I will see it it's a good dose to stay at. I do not have asthma.

So I'll have approx: 500mg Trans-Res, 250mg Polydatin, 250mg Luteoline, 50mg Pterostilbene =1050mg
Probably two times a day, more likely though once in the morning.

#69 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:04 AM

One person reported luteolin aggravated asthma, or caused similar breathing problems. It is not as well studied as res, so be cautious, tirade dose from low to higher. I use about 500 mg luteolin to 250 resveratrol currently. I do not know minimum effective dose. Most formulations that combine them use 25 to 50 mg luteolin, which I think is too low for optimum effect. But YMMV.

I'm pretty helpless at buying anything that isn't found at iHerb or Revgenetics -- any tips for buying good luteolin at bargain prices?

#70 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

Hi Hmm,

I found mine at ebay, because my chineese supplier didn't have any and I couldn't find anyone else who shipps to Germany for reasonal prices.

Maxwatt,

I just received my Luteolin order.
Is Luteolin supposed to be a yellow, fluffy, odor less material which has the consitency and appearance of pollen? (Flower pollen)

Thanks!

Edited by Cephalon, 21 November 2011 - 08:34 AM.

#71 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:08 AM

Hi Hmm,

I found mine at ebay, because my chineese supplier didn't have any and I couldn't find anyone else who shipps to Germany for reasonal prices.

Maxwatt,

I just received my Luteolin order.
Is Luteolin supposed to be a yellow, fluffy, odor less material which has the consitency and appearance of pollen? (Flower pollen)

Thanks!

Yes. Not much taste, and does not dissolve in water

#72 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

I think the addition of small doses of Polydatin added to My Resveratrol helped my wife and I lose weight. Maybe PD is a Modulator?
Takes off pounds but does this effect continue?
I do not know the answer.
This is all Anecdotal evidence of course.
I added 25 mg of PD to our regiment for a second trial.
Purchased 200 grams PD from Max Watt years ago and he ran out.
A couple months ago I purchased 200 grams 99% PD from Shanghai.

I am doing 3.25 Mile runs and my wife is doing 4.1 mile runs every other day.

Test at your own risk.
We are human lab rats.

I would be suspicious at that price; polydatin is derived from the same plant, and much the same process, as resveratrol, but with a much lower yield. Not that the quality of the goods is necessarily bad, but it could be from a remaindered lot of 10 or 20 kilos, that a factory made on spec, or has left after filling a larger order. Thus it could be old stock,though not necessarily. Further, resveratrol is partly metabolized in the body to polydatin, which again breaks down into resveratrol. Whether this is helpful or not is moot. We do know combining polydatin with resveratrol results in higher transient blood levels of resveratrol according to measurements performed by one of our members. It might be possible to get the same effect simply by taking a higher dose of resveratrol. Having collected many anectdotal accounts of different variations of dose and combinations of various other ingredients with resveratrol, I've comcluded there is a good deal of individual variability in different individualls' response. This may be due to genetically determined metabolic differences, different efficiencies for the enzymes that metabolize resveratrol and related phytochemicals. I found no advantage to using polydatin, whereas another individual considers it essential. For me there is a sweet spot using luteolin and resveratrol in a 2:1 ratio, another cannot tolerate luteolin. Not many here seem to be that enthusiastic for polydatin, perhaps because the effects overlap resveratrol so much. I think you have to experiment to find what works for you, hopefully with some monitoring tools such as a aglucose meter, scale, something to measure your exercise performance and efficiency. Without some kind of measurment for monitoring, it's easy for wishful thinking and placebo effect to overwhelm reason.

(FWIW. to make resveratrol, the cut roots of Polygonum cuspidatum are fermented before extraction, and this converts polydatin present into resveratrol, thus nearly doubling the yield when the alcohol extraction is performed.)

#73 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

Have you tried it? I'm considering it but it currently says "on backorder". Any other sources?

hxxp://www.ebiochem.com/

search "polydatin" runs around $150 for 100 grams 99% from Shanghai China including postage
  • like x 1

#74 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Any verified acceptable source for this yet?

#75 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:33 AM

What is your special offer code?

#76 jakebvt

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

25 g for $200 lol

http://www.sigmaaldr...ng=en&region=US

#77 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

If Polydatin is something popular here, let me know...

I will sponser a "coupon" for you all.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#78 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

I was just looking for polydatin ... and my search turned up this old thread, as well as a source:

http://www.revgeneti...-precursor.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users