• Create Account
L onge C ity       Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Where to Invest?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:25 AM

I was happy with the ooutcome of investing in Sirtris. I made about 50% profit - I know others made more, but I was happy with the outcome (who wouldn't be?). But now I have a few thousand sitting in a stock brokerage company wondering what to do with it next.

I just finished reading The Singularity is Near, and it has had a huge impact on me, so I want to invest in line with that general philosophy. It seems like artificial intelligence research companies, online world development companies, nanotechnology companies and Biotech companies are what I want to invest in - but of course I can't just invest in any. Some will be successful, and some won't. My real problem though, is I don't even know how to start looking.

So, I'm interested in hearing any opinions, from anyone about any decent forward looking companies who might be worth looking into.

Of course no one is asking for actual financial advice here - so don't worry about all of the usual disclaimers etc. If you know a public company doing interesting work, name it. If you are invested in a company, name it. If you want to invest in a company name it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

Just a couple companies that you'd might want to invest in (NASDAQ):

Google
Nvidia
AMD
Intel
Yahoo
Microsoft
Dell
Sony

Intel I would say would be a good start since it's the world leading processor developer.

#3 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:54 PM

Picking the leader of a sector is a pretty good idea. In a downturn they end up gobbling up the smaller guys and exit stronger than when the downturn begun. GOOG immediately comes to my mind as well as DNA. The problem with DNA is they may be bought out very soon, see headlines. Another one to look at is DOW; however, I understand some would not see it as the same type of company as DNA and GOOG.

Are you looking to invest in riskier investments that may pay off larger, such as Sirtris was?

Edited by cnorwood, 18 August 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#4 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

Just a couple companies that you'd might want to invest in (NASDAQ):

Google
Nvidia
AMD
Intel
Yahoo
Microsoft
Dell
Sony

Intel I would say would be a good start since it's the world leading processor developer.

Ah if warren buffet saw this :)

Now that it's wrong, it's just a style of investing completely different from buffet's; he almost never invests in technology related stocks (they're too
volatile, as it was proven in the 1990s bubble), and he has made consistent profits in the last decades.

But the companies listed above are all great. Many of them are near their 52 week low, which makes them a bargain in theory, since they're very stable companies and highly unlikely to go out of business. Although i'd wait some more time until the near future world recession (which i believe is going to happen) makes the stocks go down more.

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Some key places to invest:

1.) Mprize
2.) Mprize
3.) Mprize
4.) Imminst
5.) MFURI

#6 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

I was happy with the ooutcome of investing in Sirtris. I made about 50% profit - I know others made more, but I was happy with the outcome (who wouldn't be?). But now I have a few thousand sitting in a stock brokerage company wondering what to do with it next.

I just finished reading The Singularity is Near, and it has had a huge impact on me, so I want to invest in line with that general philosophy. It seems like artificial intelligence research companies, online world development companies, nanotechnology companies and Biotech companies are what I want to invest in - but of course I can't just invest in any. Some will be successful, and some won't. My real problem though, is I don't even know how to start looking.

So, I'm interested in hearing any opinions, from anyone about any decent forward looking companies who might be worth looking into.

Of course no one is asking for actual financial advice here - so don't worry about all of the usual disclaimers etc. If you know a public company doing interesting work, name it. If you are invested in a company, name it. If you want to invest in a company name it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Would you mind telling me the details of your investment in Sirtris? Like when and how much and when did you sell....and how come you don't continue to invest with them.

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,113 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

Sirtris was bought out by Glaxo at something like $27 per share. I think most Imminsters bought Sirtris during the IPO when it was around $10, so it turned out to be a very good investment.

As far as investing goes - here is another discussion about medical technology.

#8 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

Sirtris was bought out by Glaxo at something like $27 per share. I think most Imminsters bought Sirtris during the IPO when it was around $10, so it turned out to be a very good investment.

As far as investing goes - here is another discussion about medical technology.

But I see it was $9.50 in may 2008 unless that's a typo. It's now at 22.50 and I believe I read Glaxo bought it at 22.50 in April 2008.
I'm trying to understand why not hang onto it for the long haul being that we know how successful res has been.

#9 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Some key places to invest:

1.) Mprize
2.) Mprize
3.) Mprize
4.) Imminst
5.) MFURI

Idealism aside, these aren't going to bring any profits to the investor, and that's what the topic is about.

#10 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

In Pharmaceutical industry: Pfizer, Sanofi ...

In armes Industry ;)

#11 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:54 AM

Well investments will have to wait now ;)

Best to stay liquid and wait until we reach bottom. And it will take some time before that.

There are many chances to make heavy bucks with this crisis, many companies are undervalued, but the market is no place for begginers or adventurers right now.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:29 AM

Best to stay liquid and wait until we reach bottom. And it will take some time before that.

How will you know when we've reached bottom? What if friday was the bottom? Or next friday? The usual scenario is that you miss the bottom, then wait, hoping it will come back. But it doesn't, and the market keeps going up. You get more and more mad at yourself, but feel like it's too high to get back in. Finally you can't stand it any more, and you start moving in cautiously. The market moves higher, and you kick yourself for being too cautious. You get all the way in. Then the market crashes. Repeat.

#13 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:01 AM

How will you know when we've reached bottom? What if friday was the bottom? Or next friday? The usual scenario is that you miss the bottom, then wait, hoping it will come back. But it doesn't, and the market keeps going up. You get more and more mad at yourself, but feel like it's too high to get back in. Finally you can't stand it any more, and you start moving in cautiously. The market moves higher, and you kick yourself for being too cautious. You get all the way in. Then the market crashes. Repeat.

I'm not worried that i will miss a few points. I don't need to get in right at the bottom, but near it. Getting in the market now is only advisable if you're aiming for the longer term (3+ years). That's what i'm aiming for, i don't mind missing the very bottom, as long as i don't get in while we are still in a free fall and we don't know when the bottom will come, as is the case now.

Your example of the market move holds true in normal situations but this is no normal situation! Look at the crisis that is ahead of us. It's huge. One of the biggest of the century. U$700 billion is nothing, it's just a psychological fix for the market, but it will probably not give assurance to anyone (in fact it hadn't; even after the bailout plan was approved, the market still kept going down the next day, as if the plan didn't exist).

#14 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

I'm not worried that i will miss a few points. I don't need to get in right at the bottom, but near it. Getting in the market now is only advisable if you're aiming for the longer term (3+ years). That's what i'm aiming for, i don't mind missing the very bottom, as long as i don't get in while we are still in a free fall and we don't know when the bottom will come, as is the case now.

Your example of the market move holds true in normal situations but this is no normal situation! Look at the crisis that is ahead of us. It's huge. One of the biggest of the century. U$700 billion is nothing, it's just a psychological fix for the market, but it will probably not give assurance to anyone (in fact it hadn't; even after the bailout plan was approved, the market still kept going down the next day, as if the plan didn't exist).

Well niner, i'm not someone who appreciates mayhem, but i did warn you guys before the stock market opened today didn't i?

http://money.cnn.com...sion=2008100610

I say again, this shit is Ugly.

Edited by sam988, 06 October 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,113 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

Unfortunately the "bailout" is only going to prolong the recession (as I said before it was passed). It is as worthless as the "stimulus" checks back in June. The American economy (and a smaller portion of the world economy) is still fundamentally over-valued. A good marker of the long term bottom will be housing prices (although it is not everything). Most people see house prices going down for another 6 months. I might try to play a couple of the bounces, but that is about it during the next few months.

In the extremely long term (more than year or two) we still have productivity gains to factor in with accelerating technological progress. Nano, bio, cogno, quantum, all could fuel another growth trend, but there will be the drag of long term debt holding the U.S. back - it will be a much smaller but still important piece of the increasingly connected world economy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users