Photo
- - - - -

investigating the copper-chelation/collagen/tendons issue

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Stokestack

• 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

So I was looking into the claims of collagen damage due to copper chelation, mainly because I experienced some odd Achilles pain and now have a raging case of plantar fasciitis after it had been dormant for a couple of years, without any explanatory increase or change in type of physical activity. This is after taking 500 mg Biotivia daily for two months. I noticed the Achilles problem before reading any marketing FUD about the copper/collagen issue. I do notice that a vendor of lower-dose resveratrol supplements has peppered the Web with the same propaganda on this issue, but I wanted to see whether there was any basis for it.

The scary part is the near absence of any studies on this exact problem, at least as far as I can find in a reasonable time. Apparently resveratrol is acknowledged to be a copper chelator, and there are lots of references to copper's role in collagen maintenance; for example, a study about how copper reduction can reduce the amount of collagen present in the case of diabetics with heart damage.

I find this relationship and my recent symptoms troubling enough to stop taking resveratrol altogether.

#2 DaffyDuck

• 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:21 AM

I've not seen anything to support the idea that resveratrol alone is a copper chelator. Do you have any sources? I have seen here a study that suggests that resveratrol is a calcium channel blocker and calcium channel blockers have been linked to increases in tendonitis.

See this post:
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=257549

Edited by DaffyDuck, 20 August 2008 - 01:23 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:33 AM

In the thread Daffy linked to, we found a grand total of two studies on resveratrol and copper balance, both by the same group. It lowered copper in diabetic rats and raised it in normal rats. Some of the reports on this site showed the ability to turn the symptoms on and/or off way too quickly for it to be from copper depletion.

#4 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Marfans is considered a problem of copper. This may be one way to search perhaps.

http://www.ctds.info...n_syndrome.html

Menkes disease is also considered a problem of copper. Both are about problems with connective tissue.

http://www.research....ies/story15.htm

A copper deficiency can also cause problmes with arteries, leading them to burst.

#5 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

What? That would really require a huge defiency for a long time? sounds improbable...

#6 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

What? That would really require a huge defiency for a long time? sounds improbable...

Define huge.

If high doses of resv is taken it might be possible to chelate something like 5 mg. Copper is a trace mineral. The amount needed is small; therefore a HUGE deficiency isn't that large amount, I think.

How is a huge deficiency improbable? Can you elaborate?

#7 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

but the symptoms of marfans can't be alleviated by copper?

#8 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

IT was only speculation on my part that resveratrol was a copper chelating agent. Aspirin is a copper chelator, and a Cox2 inhibitor. Resveratrol is a mild Cox2 inhibitor. Cox2 inhibition an copper chelation may or may not be linked but I begin to think not. Resveratrol does protect against oxidative damage in the presence of Copper according to some studies.

At this time I can find no studies in pub med linking resveratrol to tendon or cartilage damage. I suspect the issue of resveratrol and tendon damage is an urban legend.

#9 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

IT was only speculation on my part that resveratrol was a copper chelating agent.

...mainly due to the chelation of copper...

http://www.sciencedi...0fe9db59eb0659b

#10 Stokestack

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:18 AM

Lots of articles refer to resveratrol as a copper chelator as if it's a given. Here's one that at least provides a reference:

http://www.jbc.org/c...ll/277/18/16340

It says, "Resveratrol is known to show an antioxidant activity by chelating copper in several biological systems," with a footnote that points to

Zou, J. G., Huang, Y. Z., Chen, Q., Wei, E. H., Hsieh, T. C., and Wu, J. M. (1999) Biochem. Mol. Biol. Int. 47, 1089-1096[Medline]

If it is a Cu chelator and presents a risk of deficiency, is taking supplements enough to prevent that deficiency? It would think that you'd want to take the copper a few hours after resveratrol at least. And its protective effect would depend on how much is absorbed.

Worrisome.

#11 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:57 AM

I don't see why it matters when you take it. The issue is not about absorption so there shouldn't be a problem with taking them together. I think it works because of copper so taking copper with resv would make sense to me. But its your decision.

#12 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:33 AM

I request that people cease and desist with the posting of in vitro studies with free copper. They are only of academic interest because free copper does not exist in vivo. And why are we even talking about resveratrol/copper anymore? The only in vivo study on healthy animals showed that resveratrol increases copper. Furthermore, copper depletion cannot explain the reports of foot pain that sometimes accompanies the tendinitis. Let's put the BS BS to rest.

I think it's premature to dismiss resveratrol tendinitis as an urban legend. We have too many reports and we finally have a good mechanism.

Science. 1999 Apr 30;284(5415):805-8.
Comment in: Science. 1999 Apr 30;284(5415):748-9.
Undetectable intracellular free copper: the requirement of a copper chaperone for superoxide dismutase.
Rae TD, Schmidt PJ, Pufahl RA, Culotta VC, O'Halloran TV.
Department of Chemistry and Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA.

The copper chaperone for the superoxide dismutase (CCS) gene is necessary for expression of an active, copper-bound form of superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in vivo in spite of the high affinity of SOD1 for copper (dissociation constant = 6 fM) and the high intracellular concentrations of both SOD1 (10 microM in yeast) and copper (70 microM in yeast). In vitro studies demonstrated that purified Cu(I)-yCCS protein is sufficient for direct copper activation of apo-ySOD1 but is necessary only when the concentration of free copper ions ([Cu]free) is strictly limited. Moreover, the physiological requirement for yCCS in vivo was readily bypassed by elevated copper concentrations and abrogation of intracellular copper-scavenging systems such as the metallothioneins. This metallochaperone protein activates the target enzyme through direct insertion of the copper cofactor and apparently functions to protect the metal ion from binding to intracellular copper scavengers. These results indicate that intracellular [Cu]free is limited to less than one free copper ion per cell and suggest that a pool of free copper ions is not used in physiological activation of metalloenzymes.

PMID: 10221913

Curr Opin Lipidol. 1994 Feb;5(1):22-8.
Copper: an antioxidant nutrient for cardiovascular health.
Allen KG, Klevay LM.
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA.

Dietary copper often is low in the Western diet; low intakes may affect all stages of atherosclerosis adversely. Impaired oxidative defense in copper deficiency contributes to hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, and impaired prostaglandin metabolism. Free copper ion does not exist in vivo; some in-vitro experiments are conducted with millions-fold excesses.

PMID: 15559027

#13 rhc124

• 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:59 AM

IT was only speculation on my part that resveratrol was a copper chelating agent. Aspirin is a copper chelator, and a Cox2 inhibitor. Resveratrol is a mild Cox2 inhibitor. Cox2 inhibition an copper chelation may or may not be linked but I begin to think not. Resveratrol does protect against oxidative damage in the presence of Copper according to some studies.

At this time I can find no studies in pub med linking resveratrol to tendon or cartilage damage. I suspect the issue of resveratrol and tendon damage is an urban legend.

Maxwatt, I have respected your opinion on many things but I do not agree with your "urban legend" comment. There has been too many people to report this issue. As with most drugs, some will have side effects and some will not,and resveratrol is no different. AS of to date I do not know of any long term human studies on resveratrol. I consider this forum as in the forefront of resveratrol users and thus it is our duty to report any side effects. I myself have spent over $1,000 on the product over the past year in my belief of its benifits. Yet I have experienced some side effects that I can guarantee that I have never experenced before. What we need to do is find out what is going on with this certain subset of users. If you have no problems with the product, then great for you, but some of us really do have side effects. Now we need all of the smart people on the board to tell us what is going on and I think it has to do something with copper. But I am just a simple layman.

#14 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

Maxwatt, I have respected your opinion on many things but I do not agree with your "urban legend" comment. There has been too many people to report this issue. As with most drugs, some will have side effects and some will not,and resveratrol is no different. AS of to date I do not know of any long term human studies on resveratrol. I consider this forum as in the forefront of resveratrol users and thus it is our duty to report any side effects. I myself have spent over $1,000 on the product over the past year in my belief of its benifits. Yet I have experienced some side effects that I can guarantee that I have never experenced before. What we need to do is find out what is going on with this certain subset of users. If you have no problems with the product, then great for you, but some of us really do have side effects. Now we need all of the smart people on the board to tell us what is going on and I think it has to do something with copper. But I am just a simple layman.

As Krillin pointed out, no in vivo studies have demonstrated copper chelation, though copper circulation has been affected. If tendon injuries were a side effect, shey should have shown up in Sirtris' studies. They were not mentioned. Given the number of people reading and posting here who take resveratrol without these problems, vs the number who have reported joint or tendon problems, I find it unproven that resveratrol is a cause.

#15 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:10 AM

[/quote]

As Krillin pointed out, no in vivo studies have demonstrated copper chelation, though copper circulation has been affected. If tendon injuries were a side effect, shey should have shown up in Sirtris' studies. They were not mentioned. Given the number of people reading and posting here who take resveratrol without these problems, vs the number who have reported joint or tendon problems, I find it unproven that resveratrol is a cause.
[/quote]

I don't know that any big toe benefits showed up in the Sirtris studies. You would have thought those would been documented too. I suppose one's subjective feeling that resv is the cause of a problem is just as valid as one's subjective's feelings that resv improves a big toe.

I am just giving you a little friendly teasing. So I hope you take it as such and not as a personal attack. My point is that I don't know that one should dismiss benefits or detriments unless one takes an objective view of both sides of the issue.

I also think things should be fair and balanced, just like fox news :)

#16 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Maybe some additional variables are involved that were not present in the Sirtris studies? I have been taking between 1 and 2.8 grams a day for the past 5 months. But in order to feel any tendinitis, I have to do something to put stress on a tendon. In fact, what I have to do to place enough stress on my tendon to feel tendinitis, is not something that the majority of people "tend" (so to speak) to do. How many people in the Sirtris study were doing anything to put stress on their tendons?

#17 Stokestack

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

"I think it's premature to dismiss resveratrol tendinitis as an urban legend. We have too many reports and we finally have a good mechanism."

Thanks for the info, Krillin. Could you summarize that for some of us who are having trouble deciphering those abstracts? You asked why we were talking about resveratrol/copper, but then posted two studies that focus on copper. Is your point that resveratrol interferes with these "chaperones"?

Also, what kinds of foot pain have people reported? I searched for it, but the search function on this site is next to useless, because it only gives you the thread and not the page on which the term occurs.

#18 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

"I think it's premature to dismiss resveratrol tendinitis as an urban legend. We have too many reports and we finally have a good mechanism."

Thanks for the info, Krillin. Could you summarize that for some of us who are having trouble deciphering those abstracts? You asked why we were talking about resveratrol/copper, but then posted two studies that focus on copper. Is your point that resveratrol interferes with these "chaperones"?

Also, what kinds of foot pain have people reported? I searched for it, but the search function on this site is next to useless, because it only gives you the thread and not the page on which the term occurs.

Foot anecdote Two posts down from that is my proposed mechanism.

I posted those two abstracts to show that in cells there is essentially no free copper, so the experiments in petri dishes where they add resveratrol and free copper are as useless as the ones with more than a few microM of resveratrol. (5 grams of resveratrol gave a Cmax of 2.4 microM in PMID: 17548692.) For resveratrol to dig out bound copper you need an unrealistic amount. This review says you need 200 mM to dig it out of DNA. (That may actually be microM, since they elsewhere mistakenly say "4–8 mM" when discussing reference #40 whose abstract says "4-8 microM". I can't find a single "micro" in the paper. Either way, it's higher than you can get from supplements.)

I use Google advanced search to find things in the forum.

#19 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

What if the mechanism of action for tendinitis is not copper?

What about the fact resveratrol lowers cortisol?

Wouldn't that contribute to increased inflammation?

See below.

---------------------------------------------

Local and systemic glucocorticoid metabolism in inflammatory arthritis.
Hardy R, Rabbitt EH, Filer A, Emery P, Hewison M, Stewart PM, Gittoes NJ, Buckley CD, Raza K, Cooper MS. Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK.

BACKGROUND: Isolated, primary synovial fibroblasts generate active glucocorticoids through expression of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (11beta-HSD1). This enzyme produces cortisol from inactive cortisone (and prednisolone from prednisone). OBJECTIVE: To determine how intact synovial tissue metabolises glucocorticoids and to identify the local and systemic consequences of this activity by examination of glucocorticoid metabolism in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). METHODS: Synovial tissue was taken from patients with RA during joint replacement surgery. Glucocorticoid metabolism in explants was assessed by thin-layer chromatography and specific enzyme inhibitors. RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry were used to determine expression and distribution of 11beta-HSD enzymes. Systemic glucocorticoid metabolism was examined in patients with RA using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. RESULTS: Synovial tissue synthesised cortisol from cortisone, confirming functional 11beta-HSD1 expression. In patients with RA, enzyme activity correlated with donor erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). Synovial tissues could also convert cortisol back to cortisone. Inhibitor studies and immunohistochemistry suggested this was owing to 11beta-HSD2 expression in synovial macrophages, whereas 11beta-HSD1 expression occurred primarily in fibroblasts. Synovial fluids exhibited lower cortisone levels than matched serum samples, indicating net local steroid activation. Urinary analyses indicated high 11beta-HSD1 activity in untreated patients with RA compared with controls and a significant correlation between total body 11beta-HSD1 activity and ESR. CONCLUSIONS: Synovial tissue metabolises glucocorticoids, the predominant effect being glucocorticoid activation, and this increases with inflammation. Endogenous glucocorticoid production in the joint is likely to have an impact on local inflammation and bone integrity.

#20 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:39 AM

What about the fact resveratrol lowers cortisol?

Has anyone actually determined this? These two studies found either normalization or no effect.

Endocrinology. 2006 Apr;147(4):1895-903.
Aryl hydrocarbon receptor activation impairs cortisol response to stress in rainbow trout by disrupting the rate-limiting steps in steroidogenesis.
Aluru N, Vijayan MM.
Department of Biology, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Anthropogenic stressors activating aryl hydrocarbon (Ah) receptor signaling, including polychlorinated biphenyls, impair the adaptive corticosteroid response to stress, but the mechanisms involved are far from clear. Using Ah receptor agonist (beta-naphthoflavone; BNF) and antagonist (resveratrol; RVT), we tested the hypothesis that steroidogenic pathway is a target for endocrine disruption by xenobiotics activating Ah receptor signaling. Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) were fed BNF (10 mg/kg.d), RVT (20 mg/kg.d) or a combination of both for 5 d, and subjected to a handling disturbance. BNF induced cytochrome P4501A1 expression in the interrenal tissue and liver, whereas this response was abolished by RVT, confirming Ah receptor activation. In control fish, handling disturbance transiently elevated plasma cortisol and glucose levels and transcript levels of interrenal steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR), cytochrome P450 cholesterol side chain cleavage (P450scc) and 11beta-hydroxylase over a 24-h period. BNF treatment attenuated this stressor-induced plasma and interrenal responses; these BNF-mediated responses were reverted back to the control levels in the presence of RVT. We further examined whether these in vivo impacts of BNF on steroidogenesis can be mimicked in vitro using interrenal tissue preparations. BNF depressed ACTH-mediated cortisol production, and this decrease corresponded with lower StAR and P450scc, but not 11beta-hydroxylase mRNA abundance. RVT eliminated this BNF-mediated depression of interrenal corticosteroidogenesis in vitro. Altogether, xenobiotics activating Ah receptor signaling are steroidogenic disruptors, and the mode of action includes inhibition of StAR and P450scc, the rate-limiting steps in steroidogenesis.

PMID: 16410306

J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2005 May;12(4):e13-9.
Does reduction of circulating prostaglandin E2 reduce fetal hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity?
Reimsnider SK, Wood CE.
Department of Physiology and Functional Genomics, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610-0274, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Placental production of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) increases in fetal sheep as term approaches. It has been suggested that placental PGE2 may act as a hormone to activate the fetal hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. Alternatively, we have proposed that local generation of prostaglandins in the fetal brain and/or pituitary might play a more prominent role in the stimulation of fetal adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) secretion. We performed the present experiments to test the hypothesis that the elevated concentrations of PGE2 in fetal plasma do not tonically stimulate fetal ACTH secretion. METHODS: We studied chronically catheterized late-gestation fetal sheep. Selective inhibitors of prostaglandin synthase-1 and -2 (PGHS-1 and PGHS-2) were injected intravenously. Fetal blood pressure and heart rate were monitored continuously, and circulating concentrations of PGE2, ACTH, and cortisol were measured by specific immunoassay. RESULTS: Injection of vehicle did not have an effect on circulating levels of PGE2 or ACTH, but it did have a mild stimulatory effect on cortisol. The selective PGHS-2 inhibitor, Nimesulide (Cayman Chemical, Ann Arbor, MI), significantly decreased plasma PGE2 concentrations. The selective PGHS-1 inhibitor, Resveratrol (Cayman Chemical), produced smaller decreases in plasma PGE2 concentrations and significantly increased mean arterial blood pressure. Neither inhibitor significantly altered plasma ACTH or cortisol concentrations. CONCLUSION: These results demonstrate that reduction of circulating PGE2 concentrations in response to intravenous injection of PGHS-1 and PGHS-2 inhibitors does not reduce fetal HPA axis activity. We conclude that PGE2 in late-gestation ovine fetal plasma does not tonically stimulate fetal ACTH secretion.

PMID: 15866108

#21 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:10 AM

The following is in vitro experiment ... (unfortunately) ...

Curcumin inhibits bTREK-1 K+ channels and stimulates cortisol secretion from adrenocortical cells

Similar to curcumin, resveratrol is a dietary polyphenol with medicinal properties [18,19]. Resveratrol was compared to curcumin with respect to its ability to stimulate cortisol secretion. Rather than stimulating cortisol secretion, resveratrol inhibited the quantity of cortisol secreted at times ranging from 6 to 48 h by 46% to 77% while diminishing cell viability. In the experiment illustrated in Fig. 3C, at the 24 h time point, curcumin (50 μM) increased the quantity of cortisol synthesized 10-fold over the time-matched control, while resveratrol inhibited cortisol production by 67%.

Another ...

Phytoestrogen Resveratrol Suppresses Steroidogenesis by Rat Adrenocortical Cells by Inhibiting Cytochrome P450 c21-Hydroxylase
V. Supornsilchaia, K. Svechnikova, D. Seidlova-Wuttkeb, W. Wuttkeb, O. Södera

aPediatric Endocrinology Unit, Q 2:08, Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden;
bAbteilung für Klinische und Experimentelle Endokrinologie, Universitäts-Frauenklinik, Georg-August-Universität, Göttingen, Germany

Horm Res 2005;64:280-286 (DOI: 10.1159/000089487)

Background and Aim: The phytoestrogen resveratrol is found in grapes, mulberries and peanuts, all of which are consumed regularly by humans. Resveratrol is also used in chemotherapy against cancer and aging and as a cardioprotectant. The aim of the present study was to characterize the effects of resveratrol on rat adrenal steroidogenesis and to study the underlying mechanism. Methods: Adrenocortical cells were isolated from the adrenal glands of normal male rats (in vitro) and from male rats administered resveratrol in their diet for 12 weeks (ex vivo). Cells from resveratrol-treated and non-treated rats were tested ex vivo for responsiveness to ACTH and cells from normal rats were tested in vitro for responsiveness to ACTH in the presence and absence of resveratrol. Corticosterone and progesterone production were measured by RIA and expression of steroidogenic enzymes analyzed by PAGE/Western blotting. Results: Corticosterone production was inhibited 47% by 50 µM resveratrol in vitro and 20% ex vivo, while progesterone production was elevated to 400% of the control value in in vitro experiments. Resveratrol treatment decreased adrenal cytochrome P450 c21-hydroxylase expression in vivo and cell culture conditions. No changes in cell viability or morphology were caused by exposure to resveratrol in both ex vivo and in vitro experiments. Conclusion: Resveratrol suppresses corticosterone production by primary rat adrenocortical cell cultures in vitro and ex vivo by inhibiting cytochrome P450 c21-hydroxylase.

#22 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:17 AM

There are more studies ... too much work to go through Google search results ...

#23 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

The following is in vitro experiment ... (unfortunately) ...

And uses 50 microM. Utterly worthless.

#24 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:07 AM

Polyphenol oxidase -
A copper-containing enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of
phenol derivatives to quinones.

Taking resv uses up copper. I think if you don't have some problem from taking resv (either long term or in high doses) without supplementing copper then you may have excess copper stored in your body.

http://grande.nal.us...p;therow=787836

#25 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:49 PM

Taking resv uses up copper. I think if you don't have some problem from taking resv (either long term or in high doses) without supplementing copper then you may have excess copper stored in your body.

http://grande.nal.us...p;therow=787836

If you had bothered to read the review I linked to in post #18, you'd have learned that the concentration required for this cannot be achieved with resveratrol supplements. Your reference is #46 in the review.

DNA degradation by resveratrol in the presence of copper (10–100 mM) or alone (200 mM) (in the absence of added copper) has also been shown in a cellular system of peripheral lymphocytes isolated from human blood [45,46].

#26 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Resveratrol seems to affect calcium metabolism. The implications of this are way above my head. Might this have any implications for tendonitis?

Trans- and cis-resveratrol increase cytoplasmic calcium levels in A7r5 vascular smooth muscle cells:

The effects of trans- and cis-resveratrol on cytosolic Ca2+ concentration ([Ca2+]i) were studied using fura-2 in vascular smooth muscle cells (A7r5). Both isomers of resveratrol caused a sustained elevation in [Ca2+]i, cis-resveratrol being significantly more effective than the trans-isomer. The resveratrol-induced increase in [Ca2+]i was significantly potentiated by the previous application of low concentrations of thapsigargin, partially inhibited by nifedipine or Ni2+, and not affected by SKF 96365. In the absence of extracellular Ca2+, both isomers of resveratrol induced a transient, slow increase in [Ca2+]i, which was inhibited by the previous depletion of intracellular stores with thapsigargin and completely blocked by preincubation with TMB-8, an inhibitor of intracellular calcium release. Reintroduction of Ca2+ in the external solution after the resveratrol-induced release of Ca2+ activated the Ca2+ influx through store-operated calcium channels. The resveratrol-induced increase in [Ca2+]i in the absence of extracelullar Ca2+ partially reduced the increase in [Ca2+]i evoked by the subsequent application of thapsigargin. Our results suggest that trans- and cis-resveratrol induce a depletion of Ca2+ from the same intracellular stores released by thapsigargin and subsequent capacitative influx of Ca2+. Additionally, a direct activation of transmembrane Ca2+ influx through another type of channel may be also implicated.

Stephen

Edited by stephen_b, 25 November 2008 - 06:47 PM.

#27 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

I am inclined to think any effects resveratrol has on tendons are mediated by the immune system, inflammation / repair signaling, and have nothing at all to do with copper. Copper chelation feels like an in-vitro red herring, since there is little/no free resveratrol and little/no free copper floating around in humans. This happens when we pubmed jockeys glom onto some obscure idea and extrapolate to the moon with it. :)

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 25 November 2008 - 07:19 PM.

#28 elphaba

• 24 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

I've also had a major problem with plantar fasciitis since taking resveratrol. I started with the 50% and am now taking 1 gram/day of 99% and problem still definitely present. I don't want to quit resveratrol because it has done amazing things for my blood pressure and cholesterol (and even minor benign cysts on my scalp that were marble size are decreasing in size to less than 25% of original size).

I've had chelation therapy before 6 or 7 years ago, can't remember how my copper was affected but I had 26 treatments and never had the plantar fasciitis. I also took a copper/zinc combo supplement recently for about a month hoping to eliminate the plantar fasciitis but no such luck.

Please post if anyone comes up with a solution to this problem. I am obese - 100 lbs overweight and I'm sure that doesn't help the situation but I didn't get the plantar fasciitis until after starting resveratrol and I was 100 lbs overweight the previous 5 years before starting resveratrol.

I'm taking glucosamine and MSM (sulfur) and Vitamin C and lots of other supplements. These seem to help relieve the aches and pains I have in my elbows and in the joints of my fingers and knees, mainly osteoarthritis, I think (prior to resveratrol) but hasn't prevented the plantar fasciitis from flaring up.

#29 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

I'm a new poster, and just found this site yesterday actually. So, just going to say hello. I'm a molecular/cell biologist working on my Ph.D., so let's see if I can help any with trying to understand how resveratrol is functioning with these pains.

I am inclined to think any effects resveratrol has on tendons are mediated by the immune system, inflammation / repair signaling, and have nothing at all to do with copper. Copper chelation feels like an in-vitro red herring, since there is little/no free resveratrol and little/no free copper floating around in humans. This happens when we pubmed jockeys glom onto some obscure idea and extrapolate to the moon with it. :)

That seems likely, for more reasons than one.

Firstly, resveratrol is metabolized into conjugates that have glucuronic acid or sulfate put onto its 3' hydroxyl group (which is located on the aromatic ring that has the two hydroxyls and thus is the site for chelation, see pdf here), making it impossible to chelate copper (PMID: 12523673). Almost no unconjugated resveratrol is ever secreted from the body, so if resveratrol chelated copper, it would be recovered during metabolism of said resveratrol.

Secondly, let's look at this paper
http://www.sciencedi...7885753766ad5df

Here we see the effects of resveratrol on copper is context dependent - that is, it doesn't interact as a chelator when either glutathione or vitamin C are around (and if you are alive, you've got at least glutathione).

Finally, it doesn't matter even if resveratrol acted as a copper chelator unless its Kd was somewhere around the range of copper using proteins and chaperons. For instance, zinc is the second most abundant metal in the body and crucial for proteins as diverse as heme synthesis, to zinc finger transcription factors. Now, citrate, or citric acid, which is part of the TCA cycle and critical for cellular metabolism, is a nice zinc chelator with a Kd of around 1.6X10-5 (or 16 micromolar). However, this does not affect the bioavailability of zinc in the cell as most zinc binding proteins have an even lower Kd. That is, the proteins that need zinc will always get the zinc first.

So, resveratrol could only harm copper metabolism if it could bind copper at a higher affinity than our normal proteins, and keep the copper bound till it was secreted, and this is apparently not the case. Even if it did have a higher Kd, you'd still need a significant ratio of resveratrol verses copper binding proteins to bind up enough of it to transiently pull it out of the body, and I seriously don't see that happening. And again, part of resveratrol being metabolised is the blockage of those hydroxyls needed for chelation, so copper would be released again. Resveratol also has a very short half life in the human body, so it'd be gone long before even its transient effects with metal chelation could cause problems, but not before it activates gene transcription of sirtuin genes from which its benefits are derived.

So then, my guess as to why resveratrol affects tendons might have to do with fluid, or electrolyte levels, and the joint bursa. Since resveratrol can block calcium efflux and influx channels in platelets, it may also in bursa cells and change the fluid levels. But, if that was the case, you'd have accompanied swelling if fluid increased, or joint grinding if it decreased. So, those who have pain, should also look to see if that's happening and that might give us a clue. Afterall, there's a lot of calcium action going on in the joint regions. Moreover, resveratrol could be considered an electrolyte itself, in that it'll change the osmotic conditions of the blood depending on how easily it is taken up into cells. All of this then may be abrogated by drinking a lot more fluid when taking resveratrol if high doses (over 500mg) are used, to try to keep electrolyte levels steady.

Another posibility, is resveratrol might be interacting with the material that makes up the joint and bursa fluids - glucosamino glycans, condroiton sulfates, and the like. I don't see why it would though, or if it'd even get in there. And one last posibility is it could be leading to calcium crystal formation in the joint area which can lead to psuedogrout. But, if that was so, the conditions would be far worst. So, again, it seems like an electrolyte misbalance from what I've read around this site.

@elphaba

Obviously it isn't copper, since increasing copper isn't doing anything. Plantar fasciitis can be caused by things as simple as changing activity levels (walking too much /or/ being idle can both cause it, go figure!), and bearing high amounts of weight over a long period of time - that is a primary cause, so it might have been simply a matter of time.Then again, it starting after taking up resveratrol is interesting. Definitely try taking more fluids and see what happens. There's also always quercetin which is a potent bioflavanoid against inflamation you can take too (also is an anti-viral, anti-cancer, anti-histamine, anti-oxident, and down regulates the innate immune system yet somehow boosts immune system effeciency), instead of things like glucosamine and MSM. There's also evidence that lots of supplements constantly overtime can be harmful, so it may be wise to let your body "detox" by not taking anything for two consequtive days per week (like over the weekend).

Edited by geddarkstorm, 30 November 2008 - 05:33 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

I've also had a major problem with plantar fasciitis since taking resveratrol. I started with the 50% and am now taking 1 gram/day of 99% and problem still definitely present. I don't want to quit resveratrol because it has done amazing things for my blood pressure and cholesterol (and even minor benign cysts on my scalp that were marble size are decreasing in size to less than 25% of original size).

I've had chelation therapy before 6 or 7 years ago, can't remember how my copper was affected but I had 26 treatments and never had the plantar fasciitis. I also took a copper/zinc combo supplement recently for about a month hoping to eliminate the plantar fasciitis but no such luck.

Please post if anyone comes up with a solution to this problem. I am obese - 100 lbs overweight and I'm sure that doesn't help the situation but I didn't get the plantar fasciitis until after starting resveratrol and I was 100 lbs overweight the previous 5 years before starting resveratrol.

I'm taking glucosamine and MSM (sulfur) and Vitamin C and lots of other supplements. These seem to help relieve the aches and pains I have in my elbows and in the joints of my fingers and knees, mainly osteoarthritis, I think (prior to resveratrol) but hasn't prevented the plantar fasciitis from flaring up.

Temporarily stop the resveratrol. The pain relief in arthritic joints lasts long enough after cessation in my experience, that your joint pain should not increase significantly. If the plantar fasciitis doesn't begin to subside, it's not being caused by resveratrol and you can resume taking it. If the faciitis DOES begin to get better, wait a few more days, not more than a week before resuming resveratrol at half your current dose and see if the faciitis comes back.

I've come to believe resveratrol is one of many supplements with an inverted "U"-shaped response curve. More than an optimal amount can eliminate the benefits, and even be detrimental. I also suspect this optimal point varies with one's biochemistry, age, and health, and can change with time. Perhaps an "attack dose" is useful initially, and a maintenance dose should be lower.

geddarkstorm -- A metabolite of quercetin is a Sirt1 inhibitor. Despite it's other benefits, it should perhaps not be used with resveratrol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users