• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Career choice and why.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eugene

• 96 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

I am at a point in my life(college) where all roads are open to me and the topic of choosing a career had taken up a long long debate in my head. I don't want to make a long thread so i will be brief. I am looking for a career relevant to a transhumanism. My interests range from philosophy/psychology to bio/neuroengineering and just like most transhumanists/people into stopping aging i am well above avg intelligence as well as education/philosophical understanding of the world.

To me there are three main factors in a career:
1. Intellectual satisfaction
2. Financial compensation
3. Free time/less stress etc...

I was contemplating on a phd in neural engineering but i am scared away by the fact that phds are SEVERELY underpaid to a point that almost anybody with some education makes as much as them. Then i thought about becoming a doctor but i do not liek the fact that instead of focusing on research/learning, i will be focusing on clinical work with people(i want to do the brain work not the physical work.) Then after a while of research i stumbled upon IP law(specificly Patent Law in Pharmacuticals) and i thought it to be a great career. High pay, low hours, intresting subject.

I am still undesided so i want to hear opinions of those of like mind so i came on this forum.

Please help me deside by either giving advice or explaining why you chose the career you chose. Thanks!!

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:44 AM

Take this for what it's worth as I'm not above average in intelligence and I'm about as deep as a mud puddle.

I came very close to graduating in an area that I'm decent at but I really had no passion for. I've also spent a good bit of my time in the philosophy areas, and my Literature concentration hovered fairly close to it. I ended up rejecting most of it as pointless and turned to science.

If you've a strong enough work ethic, you can probably find a career in any area you explore. Just love what you do first of all.

#3 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:35 AM

I am assuming you are in the U.S. and looking to enter college, which may or may not be the case.

At first you can be undeclared. Your main decision would be whether to go for bachelor of science or arts or in between. Basically, figuring out what 'core' classes to take is all that is really needed for the first year and a half or two years. It usually has quite an affect on people's choice of career but does not limit them too much on what choices can be made without back tracking.

Also have you seen the occupational handbook?:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:11 AM

Majors you may be interested in that relate to transhumanism:

Computers, Robotics and Technology:

-Electrical and Computer Engineering

-Computer Science

I would also recommend Cognitive Science or Psychology as a minor with Computer Science if you're interested in Artificial Intelligence (a huge aspect of transhumanism).

Nanotechnology:

-Material Science or Materials Engineering

-Solid State Physics

Bio Majors:

-Molecular Biology

-Biochemistry

-Premed

-Neuroscience

-Biomedical Engineering

-Bioengineering

-Biotechnology

Most transhumanist take up biotechnology or molecular biology

Other Good Majors:

-Physics

-Chemistry or Chemical Engineering

-Mathematics

-Applied Science

-Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

I would also advise to take up a minor in either business, economics or finance if you really want to become successful in your field!
:|o

This may also help: http://www.imminst.o...o...c=21700&hl=

#5 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:22 AM

I was contemplating on a phd in neural engineering but i am scared away by the fact that phds are SEVERELY underpaid to a point that almost anybody with some education makes as much as them.

It depends on the type of research a particular graduate student is doing. Some Ph.D. students get paid up to $9,500 a month, others only $1,100.

But first concentrate on getting your bachelor. Don't get too excited and get ahead of yourself. :|o

Then after a while of research i stumbled upon IP law(specificly Patent Law in Pharmacuticals) and i thought it to be a great career. High pay, low hours, intresting subject.

This job won't have much of a career path and it doesn't relate a whole lot to transhumanism. I would advice a major in a science or engineering field. Then again this is entirely up to what you like.

I also advice a Bachelor in Science. A Bachelor in Art has too many humanities requirements and that may be useless for you.

Best of luck to you!

#6 Eugene

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:41 AM

Take this for what it's worth as I'm not above average in intelligence and I'm about as deep as a mud puddle.

I came very close to graduating in an area that I'm decent at but I really had no passion for. I've also spent a good bit of my time in the philosophy areas, and my Literature concentration hovered fairly close to it. I ended up rejecting most of it as pointless and turned to science.

If you've a strong enough work ethic, you can probably find a career in any area you explore. Just love what you do first of all.

Ha! Just as you, i spent 2 years studying philosophy/psychology/anthropology but then bid it all useless and turned to science. Although i think if not those 3 areas of study i would 1. much worse at thinking and 2. would not appreciate why science is so great.

#7 Eugene

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:45 AM

Thanks Kostas, you made a reply i was looking for : ))

#8 Eugene

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:47 AM

I am assuming you are in the U.S. and looking to enter college, which may or may not be the case.

At first you can be undeclared. Your main decision would be whether to go for bachelor of science or arts or in between. Basically, figuring out what 'core' classes to take is all that is really needed for the first year and a half or two years. It usually has quite an affect on people's choice of career but does not limit them too much on what choices can be made without back tracking.

Also have you seen the occupational handbook?:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm

I am my third year in college, although i completely switched my track from psych/philosophy to science as i realized it to be far more useful. Psych/philosophy is fun to mess around with but not very practical in its applications(although VERY useful to know for personal benefit).

#9 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

If I was doing it all over again. BS in Computer Science or Computer Hardware Engineering with heavy emphasis on CS, depending on the school. In some schools, the CS program is inside the college of arts and sciences and that requires you to take courses you might not want to take...fluff. After that, I would decide if I want to go into AI or do something else. If something else, I would try to find my way into Wall Street (financial compensation).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users