- - - - -

GABA allergy and ADD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wiserd

wiserd
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

I've tried various nootropics and discovered that I'm allergic to GABA. There's some evidence that lack of GABA may be involved in ADD.

I was wondering what you guys thought; anyone else out there with ADD? Are you also allergic to GABA? What does it mean that I'm allergic to what is, essentially, a neurotransmitter?!

On a side note, there's some evidence for too much or too little glutamate. I think I function better eating foods from the Solanaceae family (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant). I'm not sure if that's because of their high glutamate content or their traces of nicotine.

Any insights?

#2 bgwithadd

bgwithadd
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

I've got the ADD. You are pretty fucked if you are allergic to GABA, because you can't live without it and it's crucial to your brain function.

I think people oversimplify when they think of ADD as just a lack of certain receptors or an overabundance of others. Unfortunately, those are the only tools we have to directly affect the brain. It's probably a variety of problems that lead to the same result. There are I think 4 parts of the brain that have to do with reward.

If you have this problem with glutamate then fish oil should especially help you. Neuroprotectants are also a good idea.

#3 cesium

cesium
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

You are pretty fucked if you are allergic to GABA, because you can't live without it and it's crucial to your brain function.

lol, I'm guessing he had less than an ideal reaction to a large dose of oral GABA and thus surmised that he must be allergic to it. The people on here with little or no scientific background attempting to self diagnose their maladies sometimes crack me up. ;)

#4 Mixter

Mixter
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

Errr, if you take GABA uncapped and leave it in the mouth for some
seconds, for sure you will get an uncomfortable, prickly sensation, but
that's not allergy but a common local reaction to it.

If you really feel like falling asleep in a few seconds, then a few mg's
GABA along with melatonin kept in the mouth may be useful if you
can stand it (but no clue what repeated use may do to tooth enamel),
other than that, capped is the way to go.

#5 luv2increase

luv2increase
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

A lot of people get an initial onset of an anxiety attack from GABA supplementation and afterwords feeling great.

wiserd, GABA is not a nootropic. Also, how did you determine you were allergic to GABA supplements?

#6 wiserd

wiserd
  • Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

A lot of people get an initial onset of an anxiety attack from GABA supplementation and afterwords feeling great.

wiserd, GABA is not a nootropic. Also, how did you determine you were allergic to GABA supplements?

Luv2increase- It's interesting to hear that the symptoms go away after time, though it's strange that they occur in the first place since GABAergic drugs are supposed to be sedatives.

The idea was to use GABA to increase deep sleep and improve my sleep structure (I was also testing the stuff to give to my girlfriend who has fibromyalgia.)

The people on here with little or no scientific background attempting to self diagnose their maladies sometimes crack me up.

I have an undergrad in biotech, actually, though I work as a web developer. It's not exactly a degree in neuroscience, but I've done a fair bit of reading on that topic in my free time as well. I had severe anxiety and itchy palms from taking GABA, and read that some people are allergic to GABA on various weightlifting forums which had the most info on the topic (since GABAergic drugs are used to increase hGH production.) I only took one or two caps. Since a putative sedative caused a reaction that was very un-sedative like and other GABAergic drugs (like theanine) don't have this effect on me and other people were claiming to have had allergic reactions to GABA it seemed a reasonable explanation for what I experienced.

Of course, I'd certainly welcome a different mechanistic explanation for what happened if you can offer one.

#7 luv2increase

luv2increase
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

If I were you I'd do as I do which is taking Bacopa 50% 200-300mg about 4 hours before bed. This will make the last 4 hours very good and sleep very easy to achieve. Simply awesome. Over time, it will help with your ADD as it has mine. I will repeat this again though; this could be attributed to the 1000s of other supplements I take on a daily basis LOL ;)

#8 mystery

mystery
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

I've got ADD. I've experienced anxiety from GABA supplementing and phenibut, but I don't get any benefit after the anxiety subsides. A different GABA supplement called picamilon which is niacin bound to GABA makes me drowsy in small doses. You might try that.

When I have about 1 alcoholic drink I've noticed an improvement in cognitive performance on certain tasks. Alcohol is supposed to be a GABA receptor agonist.

On a side note, there's some evidence for too much or too little glutamate. I think I function better eating foods from the Solanaceae family (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant). I'm not sure if that's because of their high glutamate content or their traces of nicotine.

Any insights?

How do you feel after eating monosodium glutamate(MSG)? You can get plenty at chinese restaurants. You could also pick up some nicotine patches to see if it might be the nicotine.

I think it's more likely an effect from all of the vitamins and minerals (which vegetabs are rich in).
Nutritiondata Tomatoe

Edited by mystery, 12 September 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#9 wiserd

wiserd
  • Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:12 AM

I've got ADD. I've experienced anxiety from GABA supplementing and phenibut, but I don't get any benefit after the anxiety subsides. A different GABA supplement called picamilon which is niacin bound to GABA makes me drowsy in small doses. You might try that.

When I have about 1 alcoholic drink I've noticed an improvement in cognitive performance on certain tasks. Alcohol is supposed to be a GABA receptor agonist.

Any insights?

How do you feel after eating monosodium glutamate(MSG)? You can get plenty at chinese restaurants. You could also pick up some nicotine patches to see if it might be the nicotine.

I think it's more likely an effect from all of the vitamins and minerals (which vegetabs are rich in).
Nutritiondata Tomatoe

I've never had a problem with MSG. I feel decent after eating it, but not nearly as good as with large quantities fresh tomatoes. I'm guessing if the key was nicotine or glutamate that freshness wouldn't be such an issue. How much glutamate would a person get from the MSG on food? What's a typical salting? Do you know?

I'll look into GABA attached to Niacin. Any idea if it leads to tolerance?

If I were you I'd do as I do which is taking Bacopa 50% 200-300mg about 4 hours before bed. This will make the last 4 hours very good and sleep very easy to achieve. Simply awesome. Over time, it will help with your ADD as it has mine. I will repeat this again though; this could be attributed to the 1000s of other supplements I take on a daily basis LOL ;)

Excellent advice! And I do take bacopa when I can.. um.. remember to take the pills. Catch 22 of nootropics, I guess. It has a slight positive effect and no real downside.

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users