Photo
- - - - -

Doggie arthritis

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

He's 11 and a half, getting stiff, rarely breaks into a run when I take him for a walk. Doc says he has arthrits, recommended glucosamine. Does that stuff work? I read about a big NIH study that found no benefit?

Anything else? I give him t-res now. Was giving him ALA and ALC, but stopped, thought that might increase the free radical load. I might give him ALA alone.

Edited by FuLL meMbeR, 09 September 2008 - 05:37 AM.

#2 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

You could try giving him a 3 week course of Cetyl Myristoleate - it either works or it doesn't according to Wendy Volhard in her book "The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog" (2nd Ed). I used Jarrow's "True CMO" for my 9-yo 100lb bullmastiff (2 caps 3 times a day for 3 weeks) and it seemed to work for him. He presently has Dasuquin (Glucosamine and Chondroitin) and I've recently added Hyaluronic acid with MSM. I gave him the CMO a year or so ago when he seemed to be struggling to get up and down stairs - he has spondylosis in his spine - his movement certainly hasn't deteriorated at all since so something appears to be working. Wendy Volhard recommend to be use CM for three weeks as and when your dog shows signs of needing it.

A little info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16859534

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

Also, FuLL meMbeR, you might want to check out Missminni's comments and the related comments with regard to glucosamine in this thread :
http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=19419

#4 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

Fish Oil, Fish Oil, Fish Oil

#5 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:33 AM

Yeah, fish oil. Also, MSM.

#6 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

Fish oil, resveratrol and boswellia. See the thread on boswellia......

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=20950

#7 marting

• 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

You could also consider the Australian product Dogpain which is a blend of different herbs - more info on it here including studies: http://www.doggonepain.com/ - My dad runs a health fod store in Denmark and have given this product to some of his customers who had dogs with such problems. They have in general responded positively. Br Martin

#8 marting

• 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

Oh I should add that there is more info on http://www.americanbiosciences.com/ - if I understand correctly they are producing the product and then the other site is more referring to the distributor. Br Martin

#9 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Anyone think curcumin might be safe and effective in reducing the inflammation in my pooch?

#10 marting

• 31 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

Anyone think curcumin might be safe and effective in reducing the inflammation in my pooch?

It might be good e.g. combined with reservatrol - but maybe try glucosamin combined with DGP which already include several anti inflammatory herbs (see below) - I would also consider using ALA and alcar again - it should help to keep the cells more rejuvenated - would not worry on radical increase if you take these together - see bruce ames on juveon for why he also recommends this for dogs - I supplement all of these (not the juveon product - too expensive) to my aging dog.It keeps her poppy like. Br Martin

On DGP:
natural supplement for dogs containing:
Feverfew, Celery Seed, Wheatgrass, Boswelia, Bromelain, Papain, Corydalis Root, Cayenne, Turmeric, Shark Cartilage and a Proprietary Blend of Native Australian Herbs.

#11 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:30 PM

It might be good e.g. combined with reservatrol - but maybe try glucosamin combined with DGP which already include several anti inflammatory herbs (see below) - I would also consider using ALA and alcar again - it should help to keep the cells more rejuvenated - would not worry on radical increase if you take these together - see bruce ames on juveon for why he also recommends this for dogs - I supplement all of these (not the juveon product - too expensive) to my aging dog.It keeps her poppy like. Br Martin

On DGP:
natural supplement for dogs containing:
Feverfew, Celery Seed, Wheatgrass, Boswelia, Bromelain, Papain, Corydalis Root, Cayenne, Turmeric, Shark Cartilage and a Proprietary Blend of Native Australian Herbs.

I tried Juvenon. At first, he had a burst of energy, last for a few weeks. It wore off, and I was concerned that it might hurt more than help. I've suspended the juvenon. I like curcumin because I personally have had good results with an inflammatory condition.

#12 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:43 AM

Interesting update. I temporarily discontinued his ALA/AC (Juvenon) and resveratrol. About three weeks later I started him up again, although at a lower dose, (every other day.) He's peppy again!

This is exactly what happened before. When I first started him on the regimen, he would drag ME around the block. That lasted about a month, and then he seemed tired, old, arthritic. Could there be some sort of negative adaptation going on?

#13 jagged

• 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

My dog is getting very stiff as well. I asked my Vet and he said a baby aspirin (81mg). I asked about Glucosamine, but he was insistent that aspirin would help more. Maybe I need a new vet :(

#14 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

He's 11 and a half, getting stiff, rarely breaks into a run when I take him for a walk. Doc says he has arthrits, recommended glucosamine. Does that stuff work? I read about a big NIH study that found no benefit?

Anything else? I give him t-res now. Was giving him ALA and ALC, but stopped, thought that might increase the free radical load. I might give him ALA alone.

Okay, he's been doing very well on the following: Omega 3, 750mg daily, curcumin, 500mg daily, and resveratrol, 150mg daily. Here are some very obvious changes in his behavior. When I walk him (about 25 minutes a day) he pulls me a whole lot more than he has in years. I am guessing that his arthritis is bothering him much less, and now it's not painful to put a lot into those tugs. He really chases squirrels down. But here is the biggest changes I have noticed. His sense of smell seems to be greatly improved! While on the walk he *very* often appears to catch a scent, nose to the ground. Weird thing is that I don't see any food or something that he might be smelling. Could he be hallucinating the odor? LOL. Either that, or his sense of smell is greatly improved.

Edited by FuLL meMbeR, 31 October 2008 - 08:58 PM.

#15 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

That's something I noticed recently too with my 9 y.o. dog. For some reason he loves to eat cigarette butts (which is obviously something I discourage) and can now smell one at 20 or 30 yards away. He also picks up the scent of deer or foxes from a significant distance and the same thing with more "nose to the ground" too. I don't give him curcumin but he has 500mg 98% res. and a total of 2.5 gm Omega 3 each day. (He started on the resveratrol about six weeks ago but the Omega 3 he's had for at least the past year ... possibly another one to put down to res.!)

Edited by tomnook, 01 November 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#16 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

My dog (parent's dog now) has improved a bit after using Fish oil (600mg epa/dha x 3), glucosamine, and a product called "missing link" - which someone had recommended to my parents (my uncle claims it has helped his dogs as well). I wouldn't have suggested it, but there's no question that it has helped my dog. Her diet has also changed a bit. She still eats some dog food, but I'd say half her diet is human food.

The dog is a ~40lb female rottweiler/mix at 16 years and 7 months of age. About 2 years ago she was at her worst and incredibly stiff. Now we still have to lift her in and out of the car (and I can tell this hurts her a little) and take it slow on her walks, but she regularly walks 1-2 miles (average of 3 times per week).

I'm wondering if I should ask my parents to try modifying her supplement routine and diet further. She's capable of short bursts if she sees a squirrel perhaps, but I'd love to see her really run again (wishful thinking maybe).

Anyone think that Cissus Quadrangularis might improve mobility for dogs?

#17 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

I didn't read further yet, so forgive me if I am being redundant, but I recently increased the amount of Res I give Busta instead of giving him glucosamine and it really worked. He runs up the stairs now. I give him about a 1 - 2 grams a day. He weighs 125 lbs.
BTW, Glucosamine does help at the dosage of 1000 mg for every 33 lbs of body weight. If I were you, I would do both. Busta will be 10 in Jan.
My dad just upped his Resveratrol from 2 teaspoons a day to 2 Tablespoons a day ad he feels so good he forgets to use his walking stick. He has spinal arthritis.
eta~
just read further, and I agree with your suspicion that there is a bit of adapting to the dosage going on...good idea to stop every once in a while for a few days and then start again...give the body a little surprise. Since you were only doing 150 mg of Res for your pooch, why don't you try doubling it the next time you notice a relapse.

Edited by missminni, 04 November 2008 - 10:08 AM.

#18 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

Maybe the solution is to simply lure the pooch into the freezer. Here poochie pooch.

See:

http://www.reuters.c...E4A26NV20081103

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 marting

• 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

Hi, it is nice to hear about the good indications of using reservatrol in dogs - I have been somewhat reluctant since I read that dogs can not digest grapefruits as grapeextracts are often featured in many reservatrol products such as the one from Now products (although I have never found out whether it is only whole grapes or also just grape seeds that dogs can not handle?) But maybe the products you are using do not contain any grape fruit extracts at all but only trans reservatrol from e.g. Japanese knotweed?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Br, Martin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users