Photo
- - - - -

Sleeping through a fire alarm!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Wandering Jew

• 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:28 AM

A similar thing actually happened to me. I live in my parents' house, and then suddenly the smoke detector sounds off in a high-shrill, beeping, annoying, yet continuously beeping noise. It basically indicates the battery's about to die. I have slept through that many times, what seemed like weeks, so I guess the battery's lasting for quite long. Now it goes on and off intermittently. I simply never got it changed. I sleep through it all the time, but my parents say they're tired of it and why don't I just rip it off the ceiling?!? Or at least replace the beeping with new batteries.

The fire alarm level/sudden smoke detector ring sometimes is just above my threshold of hearing. I suggest a new fire alarm be installed. Make sure the decibel level is up there.

Man you still have those sleeping problems? Sounds like me. Like I say, It happens. Shit happens. I read in articles that infants especially have hard times, they sleep through fire devices. Young parents can wake up to fire alarms but they're adults with maybe different physiology. It could be due to several things: faulty devices (doesn't sound like it, since inspectors checked yours), faulty physiology, faulty ears. Look into the other two. Talk to a real good doctor. Do you know that infants sleep 24 hours a day, prisoners sleep 15-16 hours, and average human needs 8 hours a day, but people with disorders , I think it's hypersomnia (opposite of insomnia) sleep closer to the 16-20 hr range. Hope you stay alive, it could be life and death condition in you getting burned. Talk to a real good doctor when you've lots of time and ready.

#32 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:10 AM

right on, but I've yet to find a good treatment and looking at good ways to solve the problem. A primary care dr may not even know as much about this issue as me, maybe even less on meds like moda. it's quite a conflict but i'll need to depend on them to help me keep conditions under control. There hasn't been a real fire related sit. in a long time and I'll get through this short period and then can spend weeks + wks .. even if long term supplements take loading phase to work, it'll be there

#33 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

ok, adra/moda is pretty much a necessary evil but it's not bad. I need to cut back on many other supplements popular here though: including piracetam, hydergize/huperzine (whatever the spelling is , the supp nancy_axel recommended and I tried a couple sample dose), aniracetam, Caffiene, the other energy drink supplements, etc etc.

I find the efficacy and my conditions work best with only adra, though sample moda would be ideal. I'll keep getting adra from approved U.S. source for 2-3 weeks, and then switch to Cephalon's to help with ES/SWSD

Btw, I find cold helps a lot and I just happen to live in up state new york w/ freezing temperature, I'd sacrifice a minor illness to help with this. it wont be much bother. I've travelled to some nicer places for interviews and personal checkup in the past two weeks, including Phoenix (sadly missed an Alcor tour but stopped by the offices) , and I find the heat worsens it exponentially, so crazy almost as to be scary. It's also during these trips that I found I can sleep thru even the extremely high decibels of roaring jet planes which cause many MANY inconveniences, esp I hate sleeping in car/plane/moving thing

Edited by HYP86, 17 December 2008 - 10:55 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

I seem to sleep not only deep at many embarassing/life-threatening instances but long, for example , my most recent one just lasted 16-17 hours. Darn, this never really happened before, maybe once in 5 years . . . if that, but now more often.

#35 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:55 AM

For the record, buddy, it's not the heat or fire that kills you. It's smoke inhalation. The fire uses up most of the available oxygen in a room, and a structure fire leaves a host of incomplete products of combustion including carbon monoxide, cyanide, phosgene, and hydrogen sulfide; plus complete combustion releases CO2, which stimulates hypercarbic drive so that you breathe it all in faster. In general taking really high doses of anything that makes you more alert or more sleepy will eventually come back to haunt you and your sleep cycle one way or another; this is my personal experience, at least.

#36 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hmmm. If you don't mind my asking, is it possible you might have sleep apnea ?

It might be hard to wake up if you're struggling to breathe.

#37 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

Hmmm. If you don't mind my asking, is it possible you might have sleep apnea ?

It might be hard to wake up if you're struggling to breathe.

I dont think I have sleep apnea. I dont have the symptoms and there's no history of it. there's no snoring either.. but could there be other things that hinder me from breathing? I just don't know.

#38 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

There's the best known form of sleep apnea, which is obstructive; this is generally common in the obese. Provided you're in good shape you could have a weirder form of apnea which I believe is neurological in nature, where your brain stops telling your body to breathe. I don't think this form is associated with snoring as much as obstructive is. If sleep is truly an issue, you can have a doc give the order for a polysomnography; this will not only monitor your O2 and CO2 to detect apnea, it also monitors your EEG to see if what's happening in your brain is a normal sleep pattern. As far as the apnea goes, I'm not really in the know but per my understanding Zoolander is pretty fit and recently discovered he had sleep apnea. You might want to search for some of his posts on the matter, maybe bug him with a PM if you're more curious.

#39 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

There's the best known form of sleep apnea, which is obstructive; this is generally common in the obese. Provided you're in good shape you could have a weirder form of apnea which I believe is neurological in nature, where your brain stops telling your body to breathe. I don't think this form is associated with snoring as much as obstructive is. If sleep is truly an issue, you can have a doc give the order for a polysomnography; this will not only monitor your O2 and CO2 to detect apnea, it also monitors your EEG to see if what's happening in your brain is a normal sleep pattern. As far as the apnea goes, I'm not really in the know but per my understanding Zoolander is pretty fit and recently discovered he had sleep apnea. You might want to search for some of his posts on the matter, maybe bug him with a PM if you're more curious.

Due to various factors, haven't had lab tests but from my subjective experience, it's gotten better. It was most likely a depression/SAD and then ES/Hypersomnia manifestation etc.

I now sleep ~8 hour a night though when I got to home during start of winter , I slept through some smoke alarms/ radio-alarms and the hours seemed too long and the quality deep but not restful/restorative. I'm taking academic course during winter but it's distance internet-learning but still affects the schedule, now I sleep more normally I hope the issue'll be gone. I haven't taken any med either (dangers of self-medicating) and stopped stimulanting substance for a long break now, only form is caffiene through occasional soft-drink like coke.

I didn't know the other sleep apnea you talked about but I don't think that's it. I will test it in the future.

#40 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

2,500mg adrafinil

Don't take it personally, but this is almost as scary for me :) I'd never exceed dosage
of anything which has proven liver toxicity. Perhaps you were totally exhausted? I'm
sure, if you overdose, you can over"stimulate" yourself with the *finils, without even
feeling any stimulation, but your body still exhausting itself at a much higher rate...

btw, I haven't taken serious supplements in any recent times. The liver toxicity you talk about is not very toxic. adra less toxic than Tylenol or your regular beer. I don't drink alcohol so I have never put my liver to toxic levels high enough to test it, though from blood-work and test of liver enzymes etc my liver seems excellent in health.

after these months and weeks, I think it may have been due to exhaustion more and more. I recreated similar conditions when I got home and slept through some, the trend seems to improve though

#41 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

I almost forgot but when I started messing with my nice digital watch to change time zone from central to eastern, I also realized I had previously set up wristwatch alarms to sound at 6 am every morning. A watch alarm is not so loud compared to radio-clock ones though it is on my body all the time, I realized besides the very few times I was hanging around awake at that hour, I inevitably slept through every single one of my watch alarms (I wear my watch 24/7), i guess I'm not sensitive to the sound or that or desensitized to the degree that I somehow ignore thru the long periods lf it continually going off

#42 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:46 AM

I find staying awake and functional is often not that difficult, so I don't have narcolepsy. The deep sleep troubles me. That part prevents me from hearing several alarms sounding in staggered intervals even, bad bad bad. I have locked some alarm even in a school-bag and hid the key in secret places so that turning off alarm clock would require eyes to be open and brain alert, fully awake, almost like solving a pick-lock puzzle, but still fail that.

After using a bit piracetam (the famed dietary supplement discussioned most on II), I notice I seem to sleep lighter and have many vivid dreams. It's not lucid dreaming yet, and I can't remember details, but I know they happened and when they did, the details seem as clear as day. If the alarm sounds if dream-stage, I can wake up easier because then the sleep is not in Delta stage, the deepest stage.

Some scientists throughout history have always believed humans' circadian-rhythm is longer than 24 hours. In fact, humans may benefit most from 25-hour day, or a little longer than 25-hr. Experiments back this up.

I wonder if I try to consciously adapt a longer day would work better. Stay awake longer, sleep better/efficiently, while with the help of supplements, eventually reaching a good personal circadian rhythm. By that, I don't mean stay awake for 32-hours an then sleep 15 hours straight (not in sync with real world schedule), but doing it in a much less degree. Also interested in polyphasic sleep, special alarms (like wake in light REM-sleep), lucid dreaming.

#43 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

very rarely, I seem to have insomnia symptoms, I relish these nights. Usually, I suffer from hypersomnia, ES, etc. The hypersom is extremely bad, making me sleep 12-16 hrs sometimes . darn, extreme inertia too, no good/clear sleep-wake break (the problem worsened noticeably in last 1-yr or so) though not as bad as a friend here who slept 36 hrs straight one time, missed some classes.

#44 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

I've found un-opened box of adrafinil or the Olmifon at home as that's the only brand company (under cephalon) making this. I know it must be the real legal one, since it's adrafinil's unregulated and legal but still have protections to provent others from copying its patent. It seems un-tampered by anyone at home and my parents probably did not notice or if did did not read the French LaFon lab's foreign instructions. I used a few sparringly but later threw one up as I drank tea/coffee. It works, though I don't want to depend on these to help me out. I'm reacting to the effect more and even one tab keep me at more or less the normal human sleep hour range and need, so that's great. I know people have questioned if they respond well to ADHD meds then does it mean they've the condition but never diagnosed or treated it, I wondered a same thing if I respond well to sleep supplement very dramatically if that could indicate some hidden thing, I hope not.

I've found un-opened box of adrafinil or the Olmifon at home, as that's the only brand company (under cephalon) making this, I know it must be the real legal one, since it's adrafinil's unregulated and legal but still have protections to provent others from copying its patent. It seems un-tampered by anyone at home and my parents probably did not notice or if did did not read the French LaFon lab's foreign instructions. I used a few sparringly but later threw one up as I drank tea/coffee. It works, though I don't want to depend on these to help me out. I'm reacting to the effect more and even one tab keep me at more or less the normal human sleep hour range and need, so that's great. I know people have questioned if they respond well to ADHD meds then does it mean they've the condition but never diagnosed or treated it, I wondered a same thing if I respond well to sleep supplement very dramatically if that could indicate some hidden thing, I hope not.

Edited by HYP86, 15 January 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#45 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

PKR's suggestion is good , since there're many types of sleep apnea and countless diseases/illnesses in this area, including the physically fit Zoolander's (btw how fit is Zoolander?" ) I doubt I have it , but it could be a rare form like with Zoolander. Zoo is running for dir. , but when he has time/energy I'd want to ask him for specifics , advice, and his treatments, since it took him out of office for a year.

#46 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'm finding that after taking the dietary supp of Piracetam, I can sleep better. My sleep seems consolidated. There seems to be clear delineation. There is little sleep inertia anymore. There're periods of VIVID, and I mean, vivid very vivid dreams, most of them are weird. They're not lucid dreaming as described by my sleep professor, but it used to be that I very rarely (on the order of a few time a yr) dream or remember anything.

I feel energized too. The taste is still nasty. Remember how I reported on Neurofuel, the case s of energy drink containing piracetam bought from Amazon? It used to taste so disgusting but now a bit used to it. I don't like the caffiene content in neurofuel though.

Now I mix some piracetam with Orange Juice. What's a good ratio?

#47 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:57 AM

Thank God I've been awakened by a fire alarm two weeks ago! I don't think I've ever been so happy being awakened by something.

It only means 1 thing: I didn't sleep through that one.

Also, I find that I got awakened by a phone call or two through residence landline. That didn't happen ~ often, can't really remember the last time I awoke to a call, well maybe cell phone if set at loudest setting w/ vibrations.

Nevertheless, I find it troublesome that could it really be that no one ever called my dorm phone? Likely. Or I slept through every single one? Or missed them?

I find my sleep schedule to be on the yo-yo-ing again , 'cause I find I can maniacally stay up for a while , much longer than usual with 24-36 hr awake time but unfortunately sleep through 18 hours or a similarly insane time. It's crazy.

I need better supplements to cure my body into healing faster , and also keeping mind/brain not sleeping so weird at other times.

#48 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thank God I've been awakened by a fire alarm two weeks ago! I don't think I've ever been so happy being awakened by something.

Also, I find that I got awakened by a phone call or two through residence landline. That didn't happen ~ often, can't really remember the last time I awoke to a call, well maybe cell phone if set at loudest setting w/ vibrations.

Nevertheless, I find it troublesome that could it really be that no one ever called my dorm phone? Likely. Or I slept through every single one? Or missed them?

I find my sleep schedule to be on the yo-yo-ing again , 'cause I find I can maniacally stay up for a while , much longer than usual with 24-36 hr awake time but unfortunately sleep through 18 hours or a similarly insane time. It's crazy.

I need better supplements to cure my body into healing faster , and also keeping mind/brain not sleeping so weird at other times.

I find I still have strong, extremely strong, sleep inertia though. Though the inertia to fall right back to dead-dream-land or to sleep depends a bit on time and place, especially the type of surface i sleep on.

#49 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:46 AM

I find I still have strong, extremely strong, sleep inertia though. Though the inertia to fall right back to dead-dream-land or to sleep depends a bit on time and place, especially the type of surface i sleep on.

Wondering how to improve that aspect. less inertia, more natural awakening. Less sleep time, more "counsciousness" working to fend off potential danger

#50 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:10 AM

Would you consider piracetam as having some stimulating effect? Or as non-stimulant? It affects my sleep somewhat, but I feel it may or may not be good for health longterm. brain health. general health. etc etc

There are subtle effects.

Has anyone noticed .. to see if their personalities and emotions and worldview changing while taking piracetam. .. It's good and bad mixed together , very weird feeling.

Edited by HYP86, 07 May 2009 - 02:12 AM.

#51 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:37 AM

Wondering how to improve that aspect. less inertia, more natural awakening. Less sleep time, more "counsciousness" working to fend off potential danger

Hmmm, I've found that a couple of grams of TMG before I go to sleep helps me wake up easily in the morning.
I believe the process of waking up has something to do with methylation ...
I'd love to know if it works for you.

#52 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

Hmmm, I've found that a couple of grams of TMG before I go to sleep helps me wake up easily in the morning.
I believe the process of waking up has something to do with methylation ...
I'd love to know if it works for you.

trimethylglycine? will investigate into this. I have tremendous sleep inertia. I'm trying to experience waking naturally toward end of ~90 min sleep cycle, but it's hard to wake up in the tiny time window everyday; lots of factors exist.

you believe the process of waking up has something to do with methylation ... can you explain or detail how TMG can help?

#53 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

you believe the process of waking up has something to do with methylation ... can you explain or detail how TMG can help?

The answer is: I don't know.

It's a theory.

Here's what happened.

I normally get up around 8:30 AM (+- half hr) no matter when I go to sleep.
I stopped taking TMG for a couple of days, and suddenly started sleeping till 9:30 or 10:30
Tried Glycine, but it didn't do much.
Added TMG back in, and now I'm back to getting up around 8:30 or so.

#54 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

ok rwac, I find my nervous system activity (probably CNS, definitely can feel in the brain) increases when taking piracetam or caffeine. Caffiene hits all over the body, and so I get many effects. Piracetam is more concentrated. There is no real stimulating effect though. I think after ingesting piracetam and a bit caffeine together, I get some slight nootropic effects, but also can't really sleep. When on piracetam, I don't get the very deep sleep unless I am very tired, dry/sticky-eyed, and sleep, and I tend to wake up easier. In fact, then I can hear alarms, phone, and so likely fire horns, but it's not controlled and willingful awaking like you described. I'm a member of LEF, may get TMG later, but after lowering dosage of other things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users