Photo
- - - - -

Why does water taste bitter to me?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

As a child I drank nothing but sweetened beverages (usually diet ginger ale) because I adamantly could not stand the taste of water. However, recently, I decided to drink water instead because I'm concerned that the constant intake of aspertame might cause heath problems and/or shorten my lifespan. Anyway, I finally figured out why I don't like water; it actually tastes slightly bitter on the back of my tongue. I've tried tap water and various brands of bottled water but it's all bitter. I find it difficult to choke down enough of the stuff that I don't get dehydrated. Does anyone know why this is? Was I just born with some weird taste bud configuration or have years of sweetened beverages just conditioned me to taste it that way?

#2 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

I've tried tap water and various brands of bottled water but it's all bitter.

My cat refused to drink tap water, but he loved it after it had flowed through a big flowerpot. And one day I noticed that the taste of tap water changes perceptibly after it has flowed through a carbon filter:

Attached Files

Edited by Matthias, 23 September 2008 - 10:28 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cyborgdreamer

• Topic Starter
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

I've tried tap water and various brands of bottled water but it's all bitter.

My cat refused to drink tap water, but he loved it after it had flowed through a big flowerpot. And one day I noticed that the taste of tap water changes perceptibly after it has flowed through a carbon filter:

lol, a carbon filter maybe, but I'm not drinking out of a dirty flower pot ;)

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:06 AM

My cat was really crazy about water that dripped from the bathtub faucet. It's all he would drink. Cats are known for liking water that moves. I don't know why water tastes bitter to you, but these guys might: http://www.monell.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users