Photo
- - - - -

Anti-Aging Firewalls regimen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 VinceG

• 48 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

The regimen and an in-depth justification for it are in my Anti-Aging Firewalls paper at http://www.vincegiul...ngfirewalls.htm
This is a major work describing my personal longevity program and the reserch basis for it. There are several major theories about the underlying
causes of what we call aging and age-related causes of death, each with its own school of proponents.
This paper outlines a dozen major theories and comments on how each theory relates to primary diseases of aging such as cancers,
cardiovascular diseases and Alzheimer's disease. It then goes on to suggest a practical protective "firewall" against the biochemical
processes underlying each aging theory through dietary supplementation and lifestyle modifications.
The idea is that each theory of aging points to certain underlying biological processes. Through slowing, preventing or even reversing these processes,
it may be possible to slow, prevent or even partially reverse aging. The practical objective is not only living longer but also living free
of age-related problems and diseases. I have been revising and updating this article on a weekly pr more freqauent basis since the
first draft posted in May 2008. Latest version posted September 20, 2008. I invite comments.

#2 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

I enjoyed reading your paper. Thanks for posting this!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:06 AM

Wow that's quite a first post. Great stuff.

#4 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

Going by your recommended supplements, one really need to have a deep pocket.

Renwosing

#5 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

You seem to be very well informed. My guess is that you have read some of the negative comments on carnosine posted here:

http://www.imminst.o...mp;#entry238662

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for that great contribution, Vince. I hope you will stick around!

#7 VinceG

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for that great contribution, Vince. I hope you will stick around!

thank you. I plan to stay around. Researching and communicating the state of the art in practical anti-aging technology is my main pursuit now, and I personally expect to lead a very long healthy and productive life

#8 VinceG

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

[quote name='wydell' date='23-Sep 2008, 07:19 PM' post='265345']
You seem to be very well informed. My guess is that you have read some of the negative comments on carnosine posted here:

http://www.imminst.o...mp;#entry238662

Thanks. I have just read your comments. I have been taking 500mg of l-carnosine twice daily for seven or more years now with no obvious negative effects. I wrote an extensive literature review on l-carnosine a few years back, still unpublished though I intend at some point to update it and put it on my web site. If you want to send me your e-mail, I will mail you a copy. You can write me at vegiuliano@comcast.net

#9 VinceG

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

Going by your recommended supplements, one really need to have a deep pocket.

Renwosing

Unfortunately, what you say is true. On the other hand, at age almost 79 I have as much personal energy, mental acuity, personal productivity and health as ever in my life and the cost is worth it if the payoff is many many decades more of great living with high functionality. To the extent that the supplements are in the public domain, I expect that competition in the longer run will drive costs down

#10 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

Interesting article, although I haven't made my way through it all yet.

I skipped to the bottom and looked at your supplement list, I think you have a few typos.

For example, I seriously doubt you are taking 2 gm of vitamin D per day. This is something like 80,000,000 IU.

Also, 1 mg of calcium, even if taken twice a day, is unlikely to provide much benefit. ;)

#11 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

Not all ROS are free radicals for example ONOO- and H2O2 are ROS but they aren't radicals.
NADH is not an enzyme but a co-enzyme. This means that it doesn't work as an enzyme on it own but it is needed by enzymes in order to do their jobs. It's PARP-1 that repairs damaged DNA but it needs NAD+ to do it. NAD+ is the oxidized form of NADH.
The lifespan of mice increases when you decrease the amount of growth hormone. So, I wouldn't say that a decrease of GH is a cause of aging.

Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerases (PARPs) are defined as a family of cell-signaling enzymes present in eukaryotes, which are involved in poly(ADP-ribosylation) of DNA-binding proteins. PARP enzymes are activated in response to DNA damage induced by ionizing radiation, oxidative stress, and DNA-binding antitumor drugs (Lindahl et al., 1995; D'Amours et al., 1999). Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1; EC 2.4.2.30 [EC] ), also known as poly(ADP-ribose) synthetase and poly(ADP-ribose) transferase, is the main member of the PARP enzyme family. PARP-1 is an abundant and highly conserved chromatin-bound enzyme that binds to nicked DNA as a homodimer [molecular weight = 2 x 113 kDa] and mediates protection against DNA damage. Upon binding to DNA breaks, activated PARP-1 cleaves NAD+ into nicotinamide and ADP-ribose moieties and polymerizes the latter onto nuclear acceptor proteins and PARP-1 itself. When DNA is moderately damaged, PARP-1 participates in the DNA repair process and the cell survives. However, in the case of extensive DNA damage, PARP-1 overactivation induces a decrease of NAD+ and ATP levels, leading to cell dysfunction or even to necrotic cell death (Martin et al., 2000). PARP-1 and other poly(ADP-ribosyl) transferases are localized not only in the nucleus but also in the mitochondria. In fact, it has been recently reported that intramitochondrial poly-(ADP-ribosylation) contributes to NAD+ depletion and cell death induced by oxidative stress in neurons (Du et al., 2003). Overactivation of PARP-1 have been implicated in the pathogenesis of several diseases, including stroke, myocardial infarction, diabetes, shock, neurodegenerative disorder, allergy, and several other inflammatory processes (Tentori et al., 2002). Therefore, PARP-1 may be considered a potential target for pharmacological intervention against various pathophysiological states. In addition, because of PARP-1 involvement in cell death, pharmacological modulation of PARP activity may constitute a suitable target to enhance the activity of antitumor drugs. In fact, several adjuvant strategies directed to modulate PARP activity, such as the use of PARP-1 inhibitors (Southan and Szabó, 2003) or ATP-depleting agents (Martin et al., 2000), have been recently reported. The present review gives an update of the pharmacological modulation of PARP activity in cancer therapy and tries to shed further light on this important subject.

Source: Pharmacological Modulation of Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase-Mediated Cell Death: Exploitation in Cancer Chemotherapy; Mol Pharmacol 64:1007-1014, 2003

Edited by s123, 24 September 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#12 VinceG

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:08 AM

Interesting article, although I haven't made my way through it all yet.

I skipped to the bottom and looked at your supplement list, I think you have a few typos.

For example, I seriously doubt you are taking 2 gm of vitamin D per day. This is something like 80,000,000 IU.

Also, 1 mg of calcium, even if taken twice a day, is unlikely to provide much benefit. :)

What you say is correct. It should be 2000IU of D-3 per day and 1 gm of calcium twice a day. I have corrected the document. thanks

#13 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

Great article.

I also found your other articles quite enjoyable... and the fact that you're able to live in the same house with your current wife and your ex-wife has me at a loss for words.

#14 VinceG

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Great article.

I also found your other articles quite enjoyable... and the fact that you're able to live in the same house with your current wife and your ex-wife has me at a loss for words.

Yes, and some times I am lost for words too.

#15 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

Thanks VinceG :) I've modified my supplement regimen after reading your articles.

I wonder what your TOP 25 looks like. :)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#16 stephen_b

• 1,738 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

What you say is correct. It should be 2000IU of D-3 per day and 1 gm of calcium twice a day. I have corrected the document. thanks

Hi VinceG. Hopefully you've had your blood levels tested via the 25(OH)D test and this is the quantity that puts you at or above 50 ng/mL.

Have you looked into pyridoxamine for antiglycation? It can now be purchased in the US again at LEF.

Have you considered dropping the glucosamine and relying instead on boswellia? This is just a speculation on my part.

Are you taking chitosan with your astral fruit? I'm sure you've probably read the astragalus thread. Have you gotten any telomere testing done?

Thanks for your contributions!

Stephen

Edit: does your vitamin E have a gamma:alpha tocopheral ratio of 3:1 or more? Watch for alpha-tocopherol sneaking in with the fish oil.

Edited by stephen_b, 02 October 2008 - 08:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users