• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

John McCain suspends his campaign

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/7634455.stm

#2 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

updated 37 minutes ago

[ McCain suspends campaign
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain announced Wednesday that he is suspending his campaign to return to
Washington and focus on the "historic" crisis facing the U.S. economy.
McCain said it was time for both parties to come together to solve economic crisis.
Democratic rival Sen. Barack Obama said at a news conference later Wednesday that he and McCain had spoken by phone
and had agreed to issue a joint statement about shared principles in the approach to resolving the economic crisis. But he disagreed with
McCain's call for postponing Friday's first presidential debate in Oxford, Mississippi. "It's my belief that this is exactly the time
when the American people need to hear from the person will be the next president," Obama said. "It is going to be part of the president's job
to deal with more than one thing at once. It's more important than ever to present ourselves to the American people." Regarding McCain's
call to join him in Washington to help participate in the debate over the economic recovery plan, Obama said, "If I can be helpful then I'm
prepared to be anywhere, any time ... [I] don't want to infuse Capitol Hill with presidential politics."]

Some people are saying he chickened out. McCain was away from Washington for the week when this crisis was being discussed. Now that
they have to go for the debate, he chickened out. I don't believe it.

He's dropping in the polls and he's afraid he'll drop more after the debate. That's why he chickened out. I don't believe it.

They say he's afraid he'll be asked about his and his friends hands in creating this mess. That's why he chickened out. I don't believe it.

Others say he asked that Sarah Palin be next to him during the debate. When he was refused he chickened out. I don't believe it.

#3 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

updated 37 minutes ago

[ McCain suspends campaign
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain announced Wednesday that he is suspending his campaign to return to
Washington and focus on the "historic" crisis facing the U.S. economy.
McCain said it was time for both parties to come together to solve economic crisis.
Democratic rival Sen. Barack Obama said at a news conference later Wednesday that he and McCain had spoken by phone
and had agreed to issue a joint statement about shared principles in the approach to resolving the economic crisis. But he disagreed with
McCain's call for postponing Friday's first presidential debate in Oxford, Mississippi. "It's my belief that this is exactly the time
when the American people need to hear from the person will be the next president," Obama said. "It is going to be part of the president's job
to deal with more than one thing at once. It's more important than ever to present ourselves to the American people." Regarding McCain's
call to join him in Washington to help participate in the debate over the economic recovery plan, Obama said, "If I can be helpful then I'm
prepared to be anywhere, any time ... [I] don't want to infuse Capitol Hill with presidential politics."]

Some people are saying he chickened out. McCain was away from Washington for the week when this crisis was being discussed. Now that
they have to go for the debate, he chickened out. I don't believe it.

He's dropping in the polls and he's afraid he'll drop more after the debate. That's why he chickened out. I don't believe it.

They say he's afraid he'll be asked about his and his friends hands in creating this mess. That's why he chickened out. I don't believe it.

Others say he asked that Sarah Palin be next to him during the debate. When he was refused he chickened out. I don't believe it.

chickened out? It appears that McCain has his priorities straight while Obama sadly does not. Obama cares more about a debate (which can be rescheduled I might add) than the economic crisis which needs immediate attention.

This is a sign of maturity from McCain and immaturity from Obama.

Nuff said.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

Yes, because he is being mature and thinking "country first" rather than Obama being immature and thinking "obama first". The debates can be rescheduled. People don't really have a grasp of just how bad our economy is right at this very moment. There are priorities, and it seems McCain knows them.

#5 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

It's the right thing to do.

Remember how great Obama's answers were at Saddlebrook Church? Oh yeah, they were above his pay grade.

As far as the debate, it'll be better to wait till closer to the election so when Obama makes an ass of himself he won't have time to make excuses to try to explain why he doesn't know anything about anything except,

How to make friends with unrepentant domestic terrorists.
How to find a good extreme black racist church to attend.
How to associate with convicted felons.

#6 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

A future society might have the technology to resuscitate and rejuvenate his campaign.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:42 AM

As far as the debate, it'll be better to wait till closer to the election so when McCain makes an ass of himself he won't have time to make excuses to try to explain why he doesn't know anything about anything except,

How to finish 5th from the bottom in a class of 900.
How to lose 5 airplanes
How to leave your wife and kids to chase after a 24 year old beauty queen
How to call your beauty queen wife a c*nt in public
How to vote for the deregulation of Credit Default Swaps that caused the financial crisis
How to vote for an unnecessary war and pay for it with a credit card
How to hire as your "financial advisor" the very deregulating free marketeer who wrote the legislation that caused the financial crisis.

McCain is a chicken. No one needs him in Washington. He said himself he doesn't understand enough about economics.

#8 Snapple

• 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

Yes, because he is being mature and thinking "country first" rather than Obama being immature and thinking "obama first". The debates can be rescheduled. People don't really have a grasp of just how bad our economy is right at this very moment. There are priorities, and it seems McCain knows them.

Bwahahaahaha!

Did you get those lame ass talking points faxed to you by the RNC?

Your. Candidate. is. Scared. To. Debate.

This is the saddest act of pure cowardice in modern campaign history.

The doddering fool your crime syndicate of a "political party" nominated and the absurd empty-headed fool he picked as his running mate are DONE.

WE are so sick of your side destroying OUR country.

Fucking criminal gang of traitors.

#9 Snapple

• 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:03 AM

Remember when Lincoln suspended his campaign in 1864?

Remember when FDR suspended his campaigns in 1936, 1940 and 1944?

Oh, right, neither do I.

Because they weren't effing cowards like McCain and Palin.

The right wing just gets sadder and sadder.

Buck up, righties. You had eight entire years to drag this country down, and you did a damn good job of it.

#10 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:22 AM

McCain and Obama are nothing more than senators. They cannot do much to help the crisis. It's mainly the congress that have to deal with it. Anyway, he should be able to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Maybe he just realised this week that the fundamental of the economy are not strong and he is panicking. This crisis started long time ago and will keep going for a while.

#11 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:32 AM

Buck up, righties. You had eight entire years to drag this country down, and you did a damn good job of it.

The country was doing fantastic until the Democrats took over Congress in 2006.

And for:

Bwahahaahaha!

lame ass

doddering fool your crime syndicate of a "political party"

absurd empty-headed fool

Fucking criminal gang of traitors.

weren't effing cowards like McCain and Palin.

I find it hard to give your view the slightest ounce of credit when you talk like this. What are we, teenage gangsters here? Speak with some dignity why don't you.

The way you speak is almost as immature as Obama not taking this economic crisis seriously. This isn't a game. I believe Obama's actions today will cost him the Presidency for sure because the mature right wing and independent voters will take very bad to Obama's lack of insight into this problem and not knowing what to do about it. He wants to have a debate which can be postponed until this is taken care of. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see this taken care of in quick, bipartisan, & efficient manner than watching a debate on TV.

What's more important to you, watching TV or having a sound financial future living in this country? Obviously, you must not have a house or have the worries of adulthood yet because you don't realize the seriousness of the situation. Do you think this is a little deal?

Let's put them side by side:

Debate (can be put off - isn't the end of our economy or country) -------- Focusing on the severely messed up economy -> something that can't wait (could make our economy to become in an even more detrimental state)

Edited by luv2increase, 25 September 2008 - 02:34 AM.

#12 Snapple

• 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:35 AM

I find it hard to give your view the slightest ounce of credit when you talk like this. What are we, teenage gangsters here? Speak with some dignity why don't you.

----- Focusing on the severely messed up economy -> something that can't wait (could make our even to become in an even more detrimental state)

I never take a right winger seriously and I'll use whatever fucking language I want to describe your nauseating beliefs. Your political philosophy and political party are bankrupt and criminal, respectively.

After these eight years, if you had a shred of human dignity, you'd shut your fucking mouth and never speak again.

Your side is despicable in every conceivable way.

#13 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:57 AM

----- Focusing on the severely messed up economy -> something that can't wait (could make our even to become in an even more detrimental state)

I never take a right winger seriously and I'll use whatever fucking language I want to describe your nauseating beliefs. Your political philosophy and political party are bankrupt and criminal, respectively.

After these eight years, if you had a shred of human dignity, you'd shut your fucking mouth and never speak again.

I just realized that you are new to Imminst so I'll let you know now. Using obscene language around here won't get you very far and isn't conducive to intelligent, mature posting and debates within these forums. Someone really should wash your mouth out with soap.

How old are you and are you out of school yet?

Edited by luv2increase, 25 September 2008 - 02:59 AM.

#14 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:16 AM

luv2increase has a point Snapple. We may all disagree with one another sometimes but we certainly don't curse at each other like that. Please keep the forums clean. ;)

#15 Iam Empathy

• 429 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:18 AM

chickened out? It appears that McCain has his priorities straight while Obama sadly does not. Obama cares more about a debate (which can be rescheduled I might add) than the economic crisis which needs immediate attention.

This is a sign of maturity from McCain and immaturity from Obama.

Nuff said.

This is why McCain canceled the debates. Watch Sarah Palin on CBS tonight. Utter disaster:
http://www.americabl...ed-debates.html
or the short version that seems to pretty much sum it all up, "Sarah Palin on John McCain's deregulation record":

McCain, absent in the Senate since April, missed 109 of the last 110 votes, and 412 out of 643 this term, is *rushing* back to the chamber to help solve this crisis:
http://www.dailykos....9377/154/609039

Obama: "It is going to be part of the president’s job to deal with more than one thing at once":
http://thinkprogress...4/obama-debate/

Edited by Iam Empathy, 25 September 2008 - 03:26 AM.

#16 Iam Empathy

• 429 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:20 AM

^

#17 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:30 AM

Guys, no matter what your beliefs are, lets try to keep it clean here.

It is fine to argue ideas, but personal (or ad-hominem) attacks aren't allowed. Also, language for the sake of language is discouraged. (using a few words in the course of dialog is fine, but not to denigrate anyone else)

Let's try to keep the debate about ideas.

Edited by Live Forever, 25 September 2008 - 03:32 AM.

#18 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:30 AM

Do you really consider approximately 50% of U.S. citizens to be despicable in every conceivable way? Do you think that is a healthy or helpful point of view?

#19 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

Obama still wants to debate on Friday, because you know, when you are a giant fraud, the show must go on.

#20 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Do you really consider approximately 50% of U.S. citizens to be despicable in every conceivable way? Do you think that is a healthy or helpful point of view?

Says Cartman:
Did you know 25% of Americans believe 9/11 was a conspiracy? Are you saying 25% of all Americans are retards?

Kyle:
Yes. There are four of us. You are a retard. That's 25%.

Edited by Savage, 25 September 2008 - 02:37 PM.

#21 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:38 PM

McCain, absent in the Senate since April, missed 109 of the last 110 votes, and 412 out of 643 this term

Obama, who has spent the vast majority of his career as a US Senator running for President...

#22 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

"We are all communists now" - applies to Republicans these days, too.

So I have to agree with you (in a sense).

Edited by Savage, 25 September 2008 - 02:41 PM.

#23 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

Well said asshole.

#24 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

Honestly I don't mind the language.

If you aren't pissed off, you are insane.

#25 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Honestly I don't mind the language.

If you aren't pissed off, you are insane.

But if it's all you have to offer... you are lonely.

McCain can't do two things in one week; Palin can't speak without a script.

Even if all of the flak Obama gets is true I would still vote for him because he isn't a chickenshit. That and he can chew gum while walking like a real fine ass soul brutha!

#26 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

Looks like it was a good decision for McCain. A new Zogby poll has McCain up 2 points. Just yesterday a poll was showing Obama up by 10 points. Of course they only polled mostly Democrats in that poll.

Zogby
.....................Sept. 23/25 Sept. 19/20
Obama...............43.8%.........46.8%
McCain...............45.8%.........43.4%
Not sure/Other....10.4%...........8.8%

http://www.zogby.com...ws2.dbm?ID=1562

New Gallup poll that also came out today has them tied 46% to 46%

http://www.gallup.co...ie-46-Each.aspx

Even after all the major media being in the tank for Obama he can't pull out a lead.

#27 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

Palin can't speak without a script.

What are you talking about? In every single one of Palin's interviews, there is no delay whatsoever in any of her responses to questions. She doesn't even use the typically words the like; "um", "a", "and a", etc.. I've never in my entire life seen anyone speak so well without a script. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read what you wrote there. It is absolutely amazing. Have you even seen her speak or what? WOW...

On the other hand, when Obama is not in front of a teleprompter, he cannot speak 4 words consecutively without putting his head down and saying "a" "a" "a" in-between his words and sentences.

#28 Iam Empathy

• 429 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

Apparently moms are against Palin too. I just received this e-mail a few minutes ago...

Yesterday, MomsRising.org members tried to deliver our letter--signed by over 21,000 people--to Governor Sarah Palin's office in Washington, D.C. The letter simply asked, "Where do you stand?" on key issues of importance to moms and families.

But, we were turned away at the door.

When pressed, Palin's staff told the group to drop the letter in the mail, refusing to acknowledge the crowd of moms (and adorable baby) who were in the office to hand deliver it.

Snail mail can take a while, and we want to make sure that this election covers more than moose burgers and body surfing. All candidates--male, female, Democrat, Republican, and other--should speak to these issues. Some are, and others aren't (1). So, we're bringing our questions to the next level: getting our questions front and center in the Vice Presidential Debate on October 2nd.

Email PBS Senior Correspondent Gwen Ifill, who will be moderating the debate, to tell her you want these important questions asked: http://www.momsrisin...DebateQuestions

The MomsRising.org team has written five questions we'd like to see posed to both Palin and Biden in that debate (see the questions below (2)). Let's get these questions to the debate moderator so the American public gets a chance to hear both candidates, side-by-side, answering the same questions.

When you click the link above, you'll send a message to Gwen Ifill and cc both of the presidential campaigns to let them know that over 21,000 voters want to hear them talk about these issues (which impact millions of Americans) at the debate.

Tell your friends to email Gwen Ifill, too! She needs to know how deeply important these issues are for millions of Americans--and that we demand they be addressed now!

Thank you!

--Kristin, Joan, Mary, Katie, Laura, Roz, Ashley, and the entire MomsRising.org Team

1. MomsRising members are tracking all of the candidates' speeches, tallying any mention of issues that impact moms. See their tallies at www.momsrising.org/candidatesbingo. If you plan to watch the presidential debate tomorrow, September 26th, you can tally the issues, too! Get your scorecard at www.momsrising.org/bingocard -- and keep an eye out for opportunities to get involved as the campaigns continue!

2. Our questions:

* Right now, the birth of a child is the number one cause of a "poverty spell" in America, and 1/4 of families with young children are living in poverty. Do you support a policy to provide paid family and medical leave to parents following birth or adoption of a new child?

* Nearly 1/2 of all full-time, private sector workers in the U.S. have no paid sick days. Do you support a policy to provide paid sick days for workers to use when they or their children get sick?

* In most American families, both parents work outside the home. Please tell us what your administration would do to help parents secure excellent, affordable childcare?

* Studies show that moms are paid 73 cents and single moms are paid about 60 cents to the dollar for doing the exact same job as men. Do you support the Fair Pay Restoration Act and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act?

* A child is born every 41 seconds without healthcare. What kind of Health Care Policy could Americans expect in your administration?

#29 Iam Empathy

• 429 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

Palin can't speak without a script.

On the other hand, when Obama is not in front of a teleprompter, he cannot speak 4 words consecutively without putting his head down and saying "a" "a" "a" in-between his words and sentences.

Wow. How hilarious. I've seen Bill O Reilly degrade people simply for stating a counter-opinion. He's cursed at guests. He was also stalking Barack Obama at one of his rallies earlier this year. Yet Barack is still kind enough to give this guy the time of day.

Edited by Iam Empathy, 25 September 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#30 Iam Empathy

• 429 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

McCain has not sponsored a banking bill this Congress

http://thehill.com/l...2008-09-25.html

Republican presidential nominee John McCain has not introduced any banking or housing bills in the 110th Congress, while Democratic rival Barack Obama has proposed five.

Both candidates are traveling to Washington on Thursday to meet with President Bush and congressional leaders to build support for a massive rescue plan for the nation's ailing economy.

Neither Sen. McCain (Ariz.) nor Sen. Obama (Ill.) sits on the Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee, which is taking the lead in the upper chamber of molding the bailout plan.

McCain is the lead sponsor of 38 pieces of legislation during the 110th Congress, none of which have been referred to the Banking panel, according to a review of Thomas, a congressional website.

Obama has introduced 130 measures during this Congress. Five of Obama's standalone bills fall within the Banking Committee's jurisdiction.

Obama's legislation calls for bolstering housing assistance for veterans, amending the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 to provide shareholders with an advisory vote on executive compensation, halting mortgage transactions that promote fraud, authorizing local and state governments to crack down on companies that invest in Iran's energy sector and authorizing a pilot program to prevent at-risk veterans from becoming homeless.

Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.), Obama's running mate, has not introduced a standalone bill that has been referred to the Banking Committee.

Obama this summer attracted criticism when he called the Senate Banking Committee "my committee."

The McCain and Obama campaigns did not immediately comment for this article.

Frank: Republicans "winced" when McCain was mentioned in meeting

http://www.politico....in_meeting.html?

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said that "nobody mentioned McCain" during the several-hour-long meeting on the $700 billion market rescue plan, other than Frank and that his Republican colleagues "winced" when he did.

"He's been irrelevant to the process. He remains to be," said Frank. "I was afraid that his dropping in here, like Andy Kaufman's Mighty Mouse—'here I am to save the day'—I thought that would slow things down. I didn't see any sign of our Republican colleagues paying any attention to him whatsoever."

Franks went on. "Nobody mentioned him. The man's irrelevant to the whole process. No Republican mentioned his name. I'm the only one who raised his name. They winced when I did," he said.

"I don't think anyone takes that seriously," said Frank of McCain's suggestion that Friday's debate be delayed. "Sen. McCain trying to use the necessity for his presence to reach a deal that we've already reached as a reason to duck the debate is unworthy of him. There is absolutely no reason not to go to the debate."

Frank was equally cool about today's meeting with the White House. "The White House isn't show and tell. We're going to the White House because the president asked us to go. Nobody thinks at this point that anything useful's going to happen. But we now have to get things drafted and worked on. The White House meeting is just an interruption in our schedule," he said.

Though he said McCain's presence would be unhelpful, he did say, getting a dig in at McCain's running mate, that there "were times when I was ready to suggest that, when we got to some of the more complicated issues about how do you price these sophisticated instruments, that we ask him to make Sarah Palin available to give us her expertise."

McCain Flacks Appear On Five Cable Shows Within Hours Of Campaign's 'Suspension'

http://thinkprogress...spend-campaign/

Yesterday, Sen. John McCain announced he would be suspending his campaign after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative in order to return to Washington for negotiations on the bailout:

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. … All we must do to achieve this is temporarily set politics aside, and I am committed to doing so.

The McCain campaign, however, has not "temporarily set politics aside." In the five hours after McCain's speech, aides Nancy Pfotenhauer, Tucker Bounds, and Mike Duhaime appeared on Fox News and MSNBC five times, frequently criticizing Obama and Democrats:

– PFOTENHAUER: Well they could always have Joe Biden and if it's on foreign policy, Obama and Biden can debate each other! Hahaha! (MSNBC)

– BOUNDS: Democrats were trying to pivot and push this issue into John McCain's lap. (Fox News)

– BOUNDS: Barack Obama is trying to play politics, I think, in many regards on a lot of these issues. (MSNBC)

– BOUNDS: And here we are. I think we're in a very different situation because of the leadership of John McCain. (MSNBC)

On Fox News, McCain political director Mike Duhaime said McCain "decided to put campaigning and politics aside." Watch a compilation:

In none of the five appearances, however, did any media anchor ask the aides about the double standard.

Pfotenhauer also was scheduled for a live chat at the Washington Times at 11 a.m., well after McCain's CGI speech. Greg Sargent writes, "McCain's suspension of his campaign apparently doesn't apply to his own advisers."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users