• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Visualization of Technological Progress?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iLikeSunshine

• 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

Hello all,

I have been working on a project for tracking technology that I would like your feedback on. The project's purpose is to visualize technological progress in certain fields, like computing and energy storage, for example, so that progress on very specific, bottleneck problems can be easily tracked and visualized. I have created a pilot site, ClearEconomy.info, where users can create charts, and anyone (including the original creator) can add data points to the chart. When displayed, the data points are sorted, from greatest to least, and then listed, so that it is easy to see the current greatest progress on a given problem, as measured by a benchmark.

For some chart examples, see http://cleareconomy.info/node/29.

The site was inspired by others like many-eyes.com and swivel.com, which allow people to upload their own data sets and create visualizations, but to which new data points can not be added by other users. In addition, those sites are for general visualization of any kind, whereas ClearEconomy is intended to be dedicated solely to benchmarks that provide insight into the progress of technology in myriad fields, as well as progress toward those technologies' implementation.

As those who are clearly interested in technological progress, I would like your thoughts on ClearEconomy as a concept and medium. Furthermore, I am interested in partnering with people who want to help build and maintain the site into something truly great, if that is of interest to you.

I look forward to hearing your comments. Thanks.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,135 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

I like the concept. Of course, there needs to be continuous user input. I like the cost per watt/solar chart. - would like to see it go back all the way into the 1970s adjusted for inflation. I know, requires a lot of work.

Anyway, I think if you keep it active for a while, eventually it will catch on. That is the key sometimes - persistence. If you can come up with some unique charts not seen elsewhere on the net, that would help as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users