• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can we use standard size graphics cards for F@H?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hello chaps

I'd like to get another 1 or 2 GPU's on board for the team but I'm limited to having only 1 machine with a full length slot which is housing an 8800GT cranking out c 3500 PPD. That's great and indeed the other 8-9 CPUs I have online don't achieve that put together.

So could anyone with more Graphics card knowledge than me (ie anyone, this is the first I have installed adn I use it purely for F@H) tell me if they can recommend cards that fit in a standard slot that will do a good job.

For example would this be up to the job?

ATI Radeon HD 4670

Sentinel

Edited by sentinel, 08 October 2008 - 01:46 PM.

#2 chungenhung

• Guest, F@H
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

The best cards to get are the 800GT, 8800GS, or their 9 series equivalents.
I am giving out video cards and other hardware to whoever willing to crunch for me say 20/30 days in a month.
As I've stated in other forum, I am doing this because I am running out of physical room and cooling capacity to put more machines online.
I am more than happy to provide the hardwares to boost the team score.

#3 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

I am giving out video cards and other hardware to whoever willing to crunch for me say 20/30 days in a month.
As I've stated in other forum, I am doing this because I am running out of physical room and cooling capacity to put more machines online.

That's dedication Chung! Would the 800GT or 8800GS be ok in a PCI E1 16X slot then. Just want to be sure as last time I got carried away and had to buy a new PC to put it (8800GT) in!

The machine I have has a set up like this so won't accomodate full length cards (but height is not an issue).

Attached Images

• SLOT.gif

Edited by sentinel, 08 October 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#4 Traclo

• Guest, F@H
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

Hello!
I am currently folding for the team and have been for a while now. I have a quad core processor where I use each of the 4 cores to run an instance of F@H. I would dearly love to use a graphics card to boost my PPD but as a student I simply cannot afford one right now. I say that because there isn't sufficient justification on my part for buying one if all I'm going to use it for is folding. I almost never play games on my computer (studies and such are rather time consuming), so I would ordinarily not even consider a graphics card, but folding at home is tempting me. So Chung if you are giving cards out for folding, then by all means I have an empty slot just waiting for a card to run.

#5 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

I am currently folding for the team and have been for a while now. I have a quad core processor where I use each of the 4 cores to run an instance of F@H.

Hi Traclo, thanks for your excellent folding effort.

Have you considered running a SMP client on your quad? A quad folding with SMP client can yield ~2,000 to >6,000 PPD depending on hardware,OS, and setup. So as not to sidetrack this GPU related thread, if you want to discuss the SMP client, consider responding in another thread, like this one or this one.

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

Thanks again for your offer Chung :) . A student like Traclo might be a good option since most students don't have to pay for electricity.

Also, thanks for folding Traclo!

#7 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

That's dedication Chung! Would the 800GT or 8800GS be ok in a PCI E1 16X slot then. Just want to be sure as last time I got carried away and had to buy a new PC to put it (8800GT) in!

The machine I have has a set up like this so won't accomodate full length cards (but height is not an issue).

"OK lets open this up to the audience"

#8 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Well anybody with any experience of Graphics cards will no doubt be shaking their heads at me but the only way to learn fast is to ask questions... and just go for it.

I decided the only way to be sure was to take my 8800 Zilent offline, out of it's current machine and try cramming it in to the new machine. Despite visually different slots, yes it does fit. The other card is back folding away and I no know I can install any card in the slot.. as long as I don't mind moving the hard-drive and buying a bigger (500+w) power supply. To any fellow hardware noobs who think changing the power supply is intimidating please have a look at the illustated, step-by-step guide. It's really not a big deal and took me about 10-15 minutes.

Installing/Replacing a new ATX Power Supply

Thanks for all the suggestions and input chaps.

Sentinel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users