• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Brain Emulation Roadmap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Futurist1000

• 438 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:26 AM

A new paper from Nick Bostrom about the scientific research required for whole brain emulation. Its a little technical, but still interesting.

Whole Brain Emulation A Roadmap (PDF)

The concept of brain emulation
Whole brain emulation, often informally called “uploading” or “downloading”, has been the
subject of much science fiction and also some preliminary studies (see appendix D for history
and previous work). The basic idea is to take a particular brain, scan its structure in detail,
and construct a software model of it that is so faithful to the original that, when run on
appropriate hardware, it will behave in essentially the same way as the original brain.

Emulation and simulation

The term emulation originates in computer science, where it denotes mimicking the function
of a program or computer hardware by having its low‐level functions simulated by another
program. While a simulation mimics the outward results, an emulation mimics the internal
causal dynamics (at some suitable level of description). The emulation is regarded as
successful if the emulated system produces the same outward behaviour and results as the
original (possibly with a speed difference). This is somewhat softer than a strict mathematical
definition1.

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

Wow, it looks like an incredible piece. I've found it by chance and wanted to post it on the forums, but now I see it's already posted.

So can we say that Nick B. is a leading figure of transhumansim?
"In 1998, Bostrom co-founded (with David Pearce) the World Transhumanist Association. In 2004, he co-founded (with James Hughes) the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies. Bostrom currently serves as the Chair of both organizations. In 2005 he was appointed Director of the newly created Oxford Future of Humanity Institute." (from wikipedia)

The different levels of emulation (p. 13) and related time frames (p79) are most interesting in his paper. What level do we need anyway, 5? Predicted to be achievable sometime in 2033.

Edited by kismet, 18 January 2009 - 12:26 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 MichaelGR

• Guest, F@H
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

I've read it over the past week, and although I didn't understand everything in it, I found it fascinating. I highly recommend it. It gives a much better idea of what is possible, and what the challenges are with whole brain emulation.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Nice little Longevity Meme entry about whole brain emulation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users