- - - - -

Supps for stomach repair?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:46 AM

I currently have gastritis, acid reflux and other things wrong with my stomach that are now finally starting to heal. A lot of this is the result of not know about my celiac disease and other food intolerances, which ravaged my gastrointestinal track. I want to know what's out there to accelerate the healing.

#2 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

I think zinc carnosine is good for stomach ulcers.

Glutamine helps heal your GI tract. The powder is more economical to use.

Some people found supplementing calcium helped their acid indigestion problem.

Digestive enzymes might be worth a try. There are also special enzymes for food allergies and intolerences that might be worth looking into.

Chewing DLG (form of licorice)tablets before meals helps increase mucous production which coats your stomach and helps prevent ulcers. If you have high blood pressure you might be careful with this or any forms of licorice.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

A friend of mine had similar problems with food intolerances, (not celiac disease though), an endoscopy showed gastritis and inflammation of his esophagus - he was treated with 20mg Pariet mg ( Rabeprazole ) which was totally effective in preventing the reflux and heartburn. However, after 12-weeks, missing the daily tablet for even one day brought the symptoms back again. He stopped the Pariet and has been taking an orange peel extract capsule on alternate days for the past three weeks with great success. Might be worth considering as long as you don't have a stomach ulcer - LEF market a cheaper (seemingly equivalent) version but my friend has been using this one : http://www.iherb.com...c...d=2181&at=0 . The reviews read well too.

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

if you have celiac (which i do) the #1 thing to do to allow you GI tract to heal is to make sure you are not eating ANYTHING with gluten in it... not even slight contamination. no eating out, no eating food processed on the same factory line. nothing. just a few gluten molecules will set off the reaction...

see a doctor with experience with celiac... not all GI docs have a good understanding of it.

no digestive enzymes unless cleared as ulcer free from your doc... the proteases will eat through and enlarge the ulcers if you have them.

zinc-carnosine (pepzinGI)

probiotics

reduce acid, reduce inflammation, eat (food not supplements) turmeric & green tea.

#5 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

I am no longer having any issues related to the celiac, as far as I know. I cook most of my own food, though I do admit to eating out at places from time to time where there would assuredly be some cross-contamination, but that doesn't seem to bother me.

For my stomach I am currently taking Pro-Biotic plus from Biogenesis, L-Salivarious at night, and protonix @ 20mg once a day, just as a heads up for what I am already doing. I also take enzymes 3x a day with no negative effects. If I am taking enzymes and they don't bother me, would it be safe to assume that those orange-peel tablets will be fine?

Also, for healing, what probiotic would you recommend (or is the l-salivarious enough?)

I drink green tea at least once a day, usually twice. As far as the turmeric, should I try to find the whole rhizome and just eat it like that?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 03 November 2008 - 08:37 AM.

#6 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:19 AM

My doctor had me take GI-Revive after I tested positive for gluten intolerance (I don't have full blown Celiac as far as I know) to help my guts.

Doesn't taste all that great. NOTE I am not recommending the site in the link, that's just one place I found it on-line.

#7 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

Manuka Honey!

Many swear by it. It tastes great, beneficial for the stomach or no.

#8 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

... has been taking an orange peel extract capsule on alternate days for the past three weeks with great success. Might be worth considering as long as you don't have a stomach ulcer - LEF market a cheaper (seemingly equivalent) version but my friend has been using this one : http://www.iherb.com...c...d=2181&at=0 . The reviews read well too.

I've tried this with mixed results.

The absolutely cheapest source I've found for this (and all LEF products) is on this site. Here's the link to this product:
http://www.healthmeg...2476_p28321.htm

$11.53 with free shipping is really good (compared to iHerb's $14.96 plus shipping), and I've never had a problem ordering from them (even if their site does look clunky).

#9 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

I'm kinda afraid to try it. I wonder if it would worsen my gastritis and erosion of my esophagus. Any opinions?

#10 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Limomene can definitely help your esophagus and stomach: http://www.lef.org/m..._stomach_01.htm

Also, the amino acid L-Glutamine is the primary "fuel" for the digestive tract,
supplementing it would probably benefit your stomach as well.

Oh and when youre not in an acute phase, have a stomach endoscopy screening for H.pylori, too.

HTH

Edited by mixter, 07 November 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#11 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

Limomene can definitely help your esophagus and stomach: http://www.lef.org/m..._stomach_01.htm

Also, the amino acid L-Glutamine is the primary "fuel" for the digestive tract,
supplementing it would probably benefit your stomach as well.

Oh and when youre not in an acute phase, have a stomach endoscopy screening for H.pylori, too.

HTH

I've been tested for that, and came up negative. Funny thing is though, I've had an alternative medicine doctor use applied applied kinesiology to say I have the worst H. Pylori infection he's ever seen. I'm always skeptical of things like this, but he was able find out I have a hietal hernia without me even mentioning it, so I was pretty impressed. He put me on Para Biotic plus from Biogenesis and L salivarious, which have been helping. I ordered some glutamine and Gr8-ophilus from NOW. I'm thinking of getting some of the orange stuff too.

#12 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

I just went all out. I order licorice root extract, d-limonene and zinc carnosine. Let the healing begin!

#13 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

You want DLG chews. I don't think licorice root extract is the right form.

#14 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

Yes, it needs to be chewable, and emphasis is placed on chewing it slowly so the DGL is thoroughly mixed with saliva before you swallow. For probiotics, know your strains and get used to pubmedding because they are NOT created equal. Some survive stomach acid and bile acids, some don't. Some are proven to implant in the gut, many are not (or have been proven NOT to). They have variable ability to adhere to intestinal epithelium, many strains have been compared for this key metric. They have different effects on the immune system. They have different effects on intestinal transit time. They have different abilities to aid digestion depending on what enzymes they produce. Some are more or less effective at controlling the population of various pathogenic bacteria and yeasts. So, you have some homework to do when probiotic shopping.

#1 most researched and supported strain, Lactobacillus GG (available in the US as Culturelle). #2 most researched strain, actually a yeast, saccharomyces boulardii (this is used more to prevent diarrhea though, and is not a normal inhabitant of the human GI). Favorite rising star, Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v, available in the US only in Goodbelly (http://goodbelly.com/)

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 09 November 2008 - 02:50 PM.

#15 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

Favorite rising star, Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v, available in the US only in Goodbelly (http://goodbelly.com/)

According to Probi Lactobacillus plantarum 299v is also available as supplement in the US.

#16 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

Dr Ohirra's probiotics - "expensive" depending on how much you value feeling well.

5 tabs early morning 5 at night, chew a few during the day after a week.

Since microorganisms metabolic byproducts are a multitude of vitamins you don't have to supplement with anything other than microorganisms. Start with your gut.

[will be ignored d/t price of pills]

#17 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:53 AM

So did I waste my money on this? Will it be completely useless? And what of this?

#18 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

Dr Ohirra's probiotics - "expensive" depending on how much you value feeling well.

5 tabs early morning 5 at night, chew a few during the day after a week.

Since microorganisms metabolic byproducts are a multitude of vitamins you don't have to supplement with anything other than microorganisms. Start with your gut.

[will be ignored d/t price of pills]

My friend with the gastritis and esophagitis took these for a month or so and, whilst they made no apparrent difference to his stomach problems, he told me they kept him "regular as clockwork" in the bowel department.

#19 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

So did I waste my money on this? Will it be completely useless? And what of this?

My friend has now completed a 40-day course of the d-Limonene capsules (20 caps) and is now on Day 4 of taking 1 of these a day (with breakfast) - so far he has had no return of any of his gastric troubles.

Do you take a multivitamin OneScrewLoose ? My mate was originally taking 4 Orthocore caps a day - he stopped taking these at the same time he switched from Pariet to the d-Limonene caps - I was wondering if something in the multi caps may have been irritating an already inflamed stomach. It seems unbelievable that the limonene caps alone made such a difference so quickly.

#20 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

I haven't taken multis for nine months now for just that reason. Hurts my stomach and ruins my appetite. I'll probably start again if it all heals up.

#21 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

Dr Ohirra's probiotics - expensive depending on how much you value feeling well.

Good probiotics are not cheap. I use Ohirra's.

I did a quick check on Culturelle's price. You get 30 gelcaps for $20. I ordered a box of 60 gelcaps of Ohirra's from Swanson for $32 and change.

Quality probiotics are not cheap. Swanson probably has the best price for Ohirra's. I've seem a number of online prices at $42 and change. I don't think Ohirra's are more expensive than other quality brands.

Good bacteria don't come cheap.

Edited by 4eva, 10 November 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#22 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

Only other two products I pimp are the portable infrared sauna (299.99) - looks like a little box -
and the power plate (1999.00) along with ohirras and holy basil extract.

I have quit listening to the 'eat this herb for relaxation' crowd. i probably have bought / tried every herb from kratom
to corydalis...and none are 100% - they are just $ for the companies pimping them.

Ohirra is worth every penny for mental and physical effects. sauna is worth every penny for cardiac endurance,
and power plate is worth 10x what i paid for it for complete body makeover.

pay the price, most likely you've spent 1k on a tv, go buy a plate and sauna... cook yourself everyday for a week
then lay off for the rest of the month... power plate every day, ohirras every day, and holy basil with food.

#23 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:33 AM

I see a lot of brands of DGL chews on iherb. Any recommendations? And, would this be the probiotic to get?

#24 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

- Ginger root with every meal.

- Digestive enzymes with every meal.

- Probiotics on an empty stomach upon waking and on an empty stomach right before bed.

- If low on stomach acid, take betaine hcl before each meal.

- Get a food allergen test and don't eat the foods the test says your body has allergic reactions to

- Get the book Live Right 4 Your Type and follow it to a T ---> this if you decide not to get the allergen test

- Relieve yourself of stress ---> take adaptogenic herbs ---> my favs as of late are bacopa (50% standardized), rhodiola, and holy basil

- Meditate and exercise

- Be Happy Now :)

Good luck and send the check in the mail. :)

#25 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Jon Barron just came out with a nice set of articles on probiotics, including which strains are most beneficial:

http://www.jonbarron.../2008-10-27.php
http://www.jonbarron.../2008-11-10.php

#26 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

I see a lot of brands of DGL chews on iherb. Any recommendations? And, would this be the probiotic to get?

If the reviewers are any guide, I'd guess so. Maybe I'll have to give that one a try. Probiotics never seemed to do anything for me before, even the expensive ones

#27 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:31 AM

Might have been said already, but DGL and N-A-G are what helped me a ton.

#28 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

N-A-G?

Which DGL brand did you use?

#29 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

I just got my d-limoneme today. I feel much better, not just my stomach but stress-wise. I'm convinced at this point that much of my stress and anxiety described in my other threads come from stomach problems that have become numb to me. I also love the fact that my acid reflux now tastes like oranges instead of bile. :)

I'm supposed to take the d-limoneme every other day, but I'm thinking for the first 10 days of taking it every day. Is this to much, and would I be wasting my money? I hate the taste of my acid reflux...

I also started on the zinc carnosine.

Also, the licorice extract I ordered makes a nice sweetener. Goes great in green tea.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 13 November 2008 - 12:41 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Drumchops

• 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

You might want to try throwing some Gum Mastic onto your stack, a lot of anecdotal evidence for it. It did have an effect in reducing my reflux but I did have to go back to Famotidine (Pepcid).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users