Photo
- - - - -

Relaxation/Stress Reduction Supplements HCT supported

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SonofSocrates

• 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

I am looking to compile a list of dietary supplements that have been shown to increase relaxation/reduce stress in human clinical trails.

If a list or review of this nature exists already, please let me know.

If not, I feel that this would be a valuable list/review to have that could be updated as new research is completed.

I will start with a few that I have found, I am going to list the compound, the dosage used in the trail and the study title.

Extract of Magnolia officinalis and a extract from Phellodendron amurense
Dosage 750 MG
Effect of a proprietary Magnolia and Phellodendron extract on stress levels in healthy women: a pilot, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.
http://www.nextpharm...ora/relora.html

Alpha (s1)-casein hydrolysate
150 mg/day
Efficacy of alphas1-casein hydrolysate on stress-related symptoms in women.

EPA/DHA
3 g of eicosapentaenoic acid + docosahexaenoic acid daily
n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease anxiety feelings in a population of substance abusers.

Hawthorne extract
500 mg
Promising hypotensive effect of hawthorn extract: a randomized double-blind pilot study of mild, essential hypertension.

L-lysine and L-arginine
L-lysine (2.64 g per day) and L-arginine (2.64 g per day)
Oral treatment with L-lysine and L-arginine reduces anxiety and basal cortisol levels in healthy humans.

Soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex
400 mg
Effects of soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex (PAS) on the endocrine and psychological responses to mental stress.

#2 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

I"d also look into Rhodiola.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 SonofSocrates

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

Thanks, could you direct me to a human clinical trials on it?

I am also searching for research supporting lemon balm, anything there?

#4 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

L-theanine works for me as far as stress reduction and relaxation with few side effects. Rhodiola tends to energize me, well its sort of a calm energy but energy nonetheless.

The problem I have found with so called "relaxing" substances is that they either work on the GABA system which can cause rebound anxiety (yes even if the substance is natural) or they do some funky things to other neurotransmitter systems which again may not be that easy for your body to recover from or not recommended for daily use.

#5 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

It may be placebo, but I've personally noticed a difference taking it. High dose magnesium glycinate works well too.

#6 SonofSocrates

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:21 AM

It may be placebo, but I've personally noticed a difference taking it. High dose magnesium glycinate works well too.

Health Nutty thanks for responding to me inquiry, do you know by chance of any research that has looked at Rhodiola or Magnesium glycinate, I plan to look myself, but which for me is typically pubmed and google scholar, know of any other good journal search websites?

#7 SonofSocrates

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:28 AM

L-theanine works for me as far as stress reduction and relaxation with few side effects. Rhodiola tends to energize me, well its sort of a calm energy but energy nonetheless.

The problem I have found with so called "relaxing" substances is that they either work on the GABA system which can cause rebound anxiety (yes even if the substance is natural) or they do some funky things to other neurotransmitter systems which again may not be that easy for your body to recover from or not recommended for daily use.

Edward, thank you for your reply, I actually have been quite happy with L-theanine, myself as well, I am curious or you typical dose, brand and means of purchase for it?

Insightful comment about the GABA system, any comments of any other pathway that has been shown or at least theorized to illict a relaxing/stress reducing effect?

From personal experience I seem to experience a sensation of tightening of my skeletal muscles as a result of ingesting caffiene and theobromine, conversely I seem to experience a relaxing of my skeletal muscles as a result of ingesting L-theanine, now would you arribute that to an effect of the GABA system? I would think that would be limited a "cognative" relaxation sensation, no?

#8 dertydave

• 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

Edward, thank you for your reply, I actually have been quite happy with L-theanine, myself as well, I am curious or you typical dose, brand and means of purchase for it?

Insightful comment about the GABA system, any comments of any other pathway that has been shown or at least theorized to illict a relaxing/stress reducing effect?

From personal experience I seem to experience a sensation of tightening of my skeletal muscles as a result of ingesting caffiene and theobromine, conversely I seem to experience a relaxing of my skeletal muscles as a result of ingesting L-theanine, now would you arribute that to an effect of the GABA system? I would think that would be limited a "cognative" relaxation sensation, no?

Phenibut>L-theanine>Picamillon>Rhodiola but all have been effective. Obviously you can't use the Phen too much as it has tolerance issues. So I bounce between Picamillon and L-theanine from night to night but at least once a week (normally twice) take a break from all nootropics for tolerance issues and also not to get used living my life by a pill. I respond very well to all the GABA's and so far have felt no rebound.

Dert

#9 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:52 AM

I have BAC's Theanine
http://www.easycart....e_M-Z.html#0320

and

Source Naturals

http://www.iherb.com...c...d=1505&at=0

I generally take 200-400mg. Its really the only supp I have found that produces a side effect free, rebound free clean relaxation that one could go to sleep on or just hang around and relax and not sleep. There are a bunch of theories on how theanine works but the key thing is that it dosen't work as a gaba mimetic that is it doesnt stimulate the gaba receptors directly which seems to be the key to tolerance from benzos and the like.

Ashwagandha in very low doses had this effect at first but I have found some tolerance and rebound. I now just take it at night for its supposed positive effects on the brain.

Note on phenibut.... I do not react well to phenibut, personally I would stay away from that stuff, talk about messy.

#10 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

Note on phenibut.... I do not react well to phenibut, personally I would stay away from that stuff, talk about messy.

If you take it over consecutive days then the rebound can be pretty ghastly. I find however that if taken periodically, I for example take it the weekends as a healthier alternative to alcohol, no rebound occurs.

Edit: I.e. Go at least one week or longer between doses or suffer.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 09 November 2008 - 05:39 AM.

#11 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Holy basil extract.

Rhodiola and phenibut is not consistent, holy basil extract is 100%.

I try to have it with a gut full of food otherwise I burp oil... YMMV.

Edited by meatwad, 09 November 2008 - 11:59 PM.

#12 dertydave

• 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

If you take it over consecutive days then the rebound can be pretty ghastly. I find however that if taken periodically, I for example take it the weekends as a healthier alternative to alcohol, no rebound occurs.

Obviously this will all depend on the person. I take it roughly twice a week and think have only taken it on consecutive days once. I have never experienced a rebound and in fact when i take it at night the next day i feel even better than the night before. I have read quite a few people having the same experiences. Although i am sure if i took it everyday i would almost certainly experience some withdrawal issues if i decided to go cold but for me twice a week has been fine and so far i have experienced no tolerance beyond the very first time i used it. Some people dont gel with phenibut which can be the case with a whole bunch of nootropics. For example Centro gave me wicked focus at even low dose but turned me into android man so i will only do this if i want to robot dance. I try and find the ones that work and tailor them to when i need them most. The others i simply discard and perhaps give them to my mates if they do nothing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 SonofSocrates

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

Ben,

I was trying to find some clincal trails looking at holy basil and relaxation/stress reduction and couldn't find anything, do you know of any studies or are your finding simply anecdotal. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users