Photo
- - - - -

Blood Results

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:07 AM

I had a blood test last Friday and I am posting the results here for advice on what I should do (supplement, etc.) to improve physically / mentally. I have been feeling much more mentally sluggish over the past 2 months. I went through somewhat of a social / environmental change, but generally, I have been lacking in motivation and energy. If you see any indicators in my results, let me know. Doc sent me a letter saying that everything is normal. Of course, I want to optimize, improve. I am not sure what these numbers mean, I only have ranges.

Male
Weight: 120 lbs
Height: 5'7"

I had the test done on the same day that I visited the doctor, so I did not have a chance to fast like I was suppose to. I had a light breakfast (banana & yogurt) about 1-1.5 hours before the test.

Tests: (1) Comprehensive Metabolic Panel Random (CPT—80053)
GLU 87 mg/dL 74-106
BUN 14 mg/dL 7-24
CREA 1.0 mg/dL 0.9-1.5
NA 140 mEq/L 136-148
K 4.0 mEq/L 3.6-5.5
CL 99 mEq/L 98-109
CO2 [H] 33 mEq/L 21-32
CA 10.0 mg/dL 8.5-10.1
ALB 4.6 g/dL 3.4-5.0
ALKP [L] 47.00 U/L 50.00-136.00
TBIL 0.59 mg/dL 0.00-1.00
SGOT 24 U/L 15-37
SGPT 37 U/L 30-65
TPROT 7.9 g/dL 6.4-8.2
! eGFR 96.11
Note: An exclamation mark (E) indicates a result that was not dispersed into
the flowsheet.

Tests: (1) TSH (CPT—84443)
TSH 1.18 mIU/L 0.34-4.82

Tests: (1) Complete Blood Count (CPT-85025)
WBC 8.20 K/uL 4.00-10.50
! RBC 4.80 M/uL 4.00-6.00
HGB 15.5 g/dL 11.0-18.0
HCT 44.1 % 35.0-52.0
MCV 91.90 fL 80.00-99.00
! MCH 32.3 pg 27.0-33.0
! MCHC 35.1 g/dL 31.0-37.0
PLT "Result Below..." 150-450
RESULT: 156 REPEATED/VERIFIED. PLT AGGREGATION PRESENT. K/uL
! NE# 6.0 K/uL 1.8-8.0
! NE% 73.7 % 40.0-81.0
! LY# 1.7 K/uL 1.0-3.4
! LY% 20.2 % 18.0-51.0
! Mixed# 0.5 K/uL 0.0-1.5
! Mixed% 6.1 % 0.0-15.0
Note: An exclamation mark (!) indicates a result that was not dispersed into
the flowsheet.

#2 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

I know about a few labs, not all of these. Still, even the stuff that was not within normal limits was only slightly off; but these are the numbers that popped out:
Male, 25, 5'7", 120lbs.
I'm built a little broad, 5'8" and ~185lbs., but still you are way underweight for your height. Are you just slim, have a fast metabolism, or just practicing CR/fasting? If I were that light and feeling off, I might try increasing caloric intake.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

Honestly this all looks pretty good. I don't think there is anything here that provides an answer or even a hint as to what might be causing your symptoms. TSH is good and you aren't anemic -- those would have been two red flags for sluggishness/fatigue.

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

No he is not underweight for his height, his BMI is 18.8 which is lower end of normal. As for something to look at from those blood results, your white blood count seems a bit high for a slim person. Can indicate inflammation going on. Interestingly high white blood count has been associated with greater all cause mortality. Increases risk of things like heart disease, cancer, stroke etc... I don't see a C reactive protein test there, might be worth getting that done, or even a ESR because it drops more slowly.

Edited by Matt, 06 November 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#5 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

I think the white count is normal personally, I have seen many healthy people with ~8.0 WBC. That might seem high to the CR crowd, but IMO that is actually close to average. Still, getting CRP and ESR done might be prudent.

#6 speda1

• Guest, F@H
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

I would ignore the results and fast next time.

#7 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

I know about a few labs, not all of these. Still, even the stuff that was not within normal limits was only slightly off; but these are the numbers that popped out:
Male, 25, 5'7", 120lbs.
I'm built a little broad, 5'8" and ~185lbs., but still you are way underweight for your height. Are you just slim, have a fast metabolism, or just practicing CR/fasting? If I were that light and feeling off, I might try increasing caloric intake.

I am slim and have a fast metabolism...the most I have ever weighed was my senior year in high school when I was 135 - 140. I was lifting weights, drinking milkshakes, and taking low dose of creatine. I don't practice caloric restriction, but I do have small breakfasts, usually banana and yogurt during the week and cereal during the weekend. I have been eating vegetable stir-fry for dinner on most nights. Lunch is usually a sandwich.

#8 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

No he is not underweight for his height, his BMI is 18.8 which is lower end of normal. As for something to look at from those blood results, your white blood count seems a bit high for a slim person. Can indicate inflammation going on. Interestingly high white blood count has been associated with greater all cause mortality. Increases risk of things like heart disease, cancer, stroke etc... I don't see a C reactive protein test there, might be worth getting that done, or even a ESR because it drops more slowly.

I have felt more stress lately and I have felt down as well...I don't think I am depressed, just going through a lifestyle change. Maybe the white blood count is a side product of that.

#9 Jessy_Hoo

• Guest, F@H
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

I have felt more stress lately and I have felt down as well...I don't think I am depressed, just going through a lifestyle change. Maybe the white blood count is a side product of that.

Wow what I would do for a WBC like yours. Mine normally is never less than 13!
Stress can play a factor in that... Try to find a way to vent/meditate.

But all in all I wouldn't put to much on these results, and would have them retest you after fasting.

#10 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

jessy- leukemia?

#11 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

Just a quick scan, but I didn't see LDL, LP(a), HDL, or triglycerides. The last three, in particular, are quite telling and predictive of trouble.

#12 Jessy_Hoo

• Guest, F@H
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

jessy- leukemia?

No that's what everyone thought at first, scared me to DEATH! I was watching cancer take both my uncle and grandfather at the time they noticed my elevated WBC. I been through a million test it seems like, and nothing was found. My doctors (2 MDs, DO, and Hematologist/Oncologist) all seem to think my high levels are contributed to Stress/Anxiety (I'm Type 2 Bipolar) and the fact that I'm a smoker.

#13 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

jessy- leukemia?

No that's what everyone thought at first, scared me to DEATH! I was watching cancer take both my uncle and grandfather at the time they noticed my elevated WBC. I been through a million test it seems like, and nothing was found. My doctors (2 MDs, DO, and Hematologist/Oncologist) all seem to think my high levels are contributed to Stress/Anxiety (I'm Type 2 Bipolar) and the fact that I'm a smoker.

Yeah, it's probably stress in my case. Duke, I think they omitted those indicators that you were asking about because I had not been fasting that morning (this was the first time I met my new doc and I did not know I was going to have a blood test that day). By the way, where do you guys usually go for blood tests? Doc's office or independent lab? I think I might start testing myself every year just to keep track of my health.

Edited by Ghostrider, 06 November 2008 - 11:14 PM.

#14 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:32 AM

Just a quick scan and this is what jumps out, taking into account your age:

CREA (creatinine) is borderline low (worst case scenerio kidney related, maybe you are processing too many supps/drugs, could also be due to inacitvity/low protein turnover etc.)
solution: Milk Thistle + Resistance Training

alkaline phosphatase low (possibly liver related, same deal as above)
solution : Milk Thistle

Calcium is borderline High (diet or supp related)
solution: Cut out the Calcium Supps or eat less Dairy

CO2 High (do you smoke? exercise)
solution: don't smoke anything, get plenty of aerobic/HIT exercise

prescription: 500 mg milk thistle per day, exercise 5x per week (mix of aerobic/HIT/Resistance), don't smoke anything, cut out calcium supps and/or decrease dairy...... drink plenty of water (this tends to make everything work better)..... and relax you are only 25 :)

note: you are 25 and really nothing should be going too terribly wrong for another 10 years, the above labs are very basic so they aren't saying a whole lot, even the numbers that are borderline or out of range are not any real cause for concern..... and there are obviously more explanations than the ones I have given, this is just my knee jerk quick read response

Edited by edward, 07 November 2008 - 12:41 AM.

#15 Jessy_Hoo

• Guest, F@H
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

jessy- leukemia?

Yeah, it's probably stress in my case. Duke, I think they omitted those indicators that you were asking about because I had not been fasting that morning (this was the first time I met my new doc and I did not know I was going to have a blood test that day). By the way, where do you guys usually go for blood tests? Doc's office or independent lab? I think I might start testing myself every year just to keep track of my health.

I've found that walking/running helps with the stress, and makes you feel better too. I don't go too far I have 3 year old son that goes with me, and it would really be work having to carry him back (HE FREAKING HEAVY). I also starting eating better and taking 15 mins of "me" it everyday: I normally just lay in the bed with my ipod set to the Liars Sailing to Byzantium. These help bring my WBC down to "my normal" 13 about a year ago it was around 15.

Also, I'm 25 too and I think its a weird age... 'Cause well, your a grown up but you still don't want to be. But heck... AT LEAST WE AREN'T 30 THANK GOD :) j/k. Although, when my birthday comes in June I will be 25 AGAIN!

#16 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

Just a quick scan and this is what jumps out, taking into account your age:

CREA (creatinine) is borderline low (worst case scenerio kidney related, maybe you are processing too many supps/drugs, could also be due to inacitvity/low protein turnover etc.)
solution: Milk Thistle + Resistance Training

alkaline phosphatase low (possibly liver related, same deal as above)
solution : Milk Thistle

CO2 High (do you smoke? exercise)
solution: don't smoke anything, get plenty of aerobic/HIT exercise

prescription: 500 mg milk thistle per day, exercise 5x per week (mix of aerobic/HIT/Resistance), don't smoke anything, cut out calcium supps and/or decrease dairy...... drink plenty of water (this tends to make everything work better)..... and relax you are only 25 :)

note: you are 25 and really nothing should be going too terribly wrong for another 10 years, the above labs are very basic so they aren't saying a whole lot, even the numbers that are borderline or out of range are not any real cause for concern..... and there are obviously more explanations than the ones I have given, this is just my knee jerk quick read response

Thanks everyone who commented, I appreciate all the advice. I am not really worried, just looking for a reason for my lack of energy -- but it could be all mental rather than physical, just trying to rule out the physical part.

Anyway, I don't take too many supps: OrthoCore + Fish Oil and sometimes ALA/ALCAR during day, with Gaba and L-Theanine at night before bed. Calcium might be due to the cereal that I had about an hour before the blood test. Cereal with milk. I don't smoke, so the C02 was a bit surprising, maybe more exercise. Again, not too paranoid about this, just trying to understand the numbers and look for signs. Thanks again everyone!

#17 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Actually that was a good catch on the calcium, and reminds me to remind you to supplement vitamin K as MK-7, not the very short-lived MK-4 in the Ortho-core or ineffective, standard K1 to prevent calcification of blood vessels. I don't think the creatinine means much other than indicating his kidneys are healthy. Low is good.

You might want to supplement more magnesium, both to balance the calcium and because low alkaline phosphatase can be a result of magnesium deficiency.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 07 November 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#18 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

Being a dietitian, I do find this weight low. Your ideal bodyweight range is 128-156#. Your midpoint is 142#. Being 120# and doing resistance training you need to provide yourself with the macronutrients to compensate for your metabolism and the caloric needs of working out and then growth/repair. I think increasing your fluids and calories would go a long way. Eating smaller meals every 3 hours or so may help with balanced blood sugar and maintaining body mass (getting away from plated meals altogether).

#19 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

As Funk said, definitely add more magnesium to your diet (most likely you'll need to supplement), and do not use the oxide (a.k.a. rock) form. Additionally, if Ca is high then I suggest taking more D3 and K2, both of which help regulate it and keep it from being used for coronary calcification. All four of these supps work in tandem. Most people are deficient in magnesium, D3, and K2.

#20 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

If I was at work I would ignore your labs as they are WNL (within normal limits)

However, if you were a relative, I would recommend stop eating dairy and buy the same supplements / machines
I pimp to every person who cares to listen, and usually give samples to.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:20 AM

I agree with Duke. I'd like to add however that larger amounts of vitamin C can also aid in keeping calcium soluble and prevent it from calcification.

Get fully reacted magnesium aspartate, orotate, malate, or if you can't find any of those, citrate.

Spread out your dose and take with a meal to avoid diarrhea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users