• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Bacopa monnieri: Anyone else using this?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#91 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

That means its sort of an anti-stimulant or theoretically it could lessen euphoric effects of a stimulant?
It gives me the feeling to be less aware of my physical body if that makes any sense, also it could be placebo.

I thought this is somewhere in the class of jiaugolan tea which is also supposed to be an adaptogen, makes blood thinner, can make you tired, can make you get up easier in the morning and can also make you a little spaced out at the same time.
Bacopa could be similar, Im not really sure if it has benefits but Ill have to try in a not fatigued state.

Edited by machete234, 14 January 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#92 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Today I took one in the morning and it only relaxed me a bit and gave me no problems at all, if anything my mood increased so I think I should take this in the morning after a big breakfast.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Bismarck

• 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Bacopa makes me really tired. I think for anyone looking to increase their productivity this is really useless as it increases the amount of sleep you need ALOT and the times I didnt sleep I still did feel tired.

#94 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

right ,it also did it to me ,anything made me tried i avoid all of them because if also tired a lot daily .

#95 Billy8

• 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

This thread would be so much more better if people stated if they;

A/ Suffered anxiety
B/ took a lot of stims to begin with
C/ What brand and what dosage they used as well as duration

Im not trying to be funny but in each post i feel we are only getting less than half the story and maybe if we all added as much detail as possible in our conclusion we could help each other out and maybe find the root cause to everyones negatives or successes.

P.S
Also what extract did the studies use?

Edited by Billy8, 19 January 2013 - 09:24 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Informative x 1

#96 Bismarck

• 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

Hi, billy if you dont like the thread then why dont you make a start ? This stuff really isnt that expensive.

#97 Billy8

• 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Whats the point of discussing the herb if i have to spend the best part of a year trialing all the brands out when i can try and narrow it down on this thread first.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#98 Bismarck

• 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

You dont need to spend 1 year to see which effects bacopa has on you.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#99 Billy8

• 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Reading this thread it states it can take up to 12 weeks for effects to show and if im using a brand that is no good that would mean another 3 month trial.

Going to buy the himilaya brand since its been used for most of the studies anyways.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#100 Bismarck

• 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

The differene is not gonna be in the brand but in the user as long as the active ingredient is bacopa . If it makes you tired and increases your need for sleep chances are you will stop after a few days.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#101 Billy8

• 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

But that is the negative side effects not the positives that help with memory retention.

#102 Bismarck

• 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Sure, if youre willing to make that trade off.

#103 Gnumf

• 64 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

personally bacopa in super high dose (1-2g two or three times a day) is really amazing for me!
I have tried almost every nootropic and bacopa is probably the most essential of my quite extensive stack.
It makes me happy, calm and clear minded. I think the action on serotonin is key.
Of course if you take it alone you will feel tired, but so what! You should not use only one nootropic!
I have read so many comments like: "yes piracetam is great but i cannot use it because it gives me anxiety". Well then try an anxiolytic with your piracetam !!!
In the case of bacopa, try to find a stimulant or a combination of stimulants that help you counteract the side effects that you don't like.

this is a small list of my favorite stimulants and anxiolytics:

stimulants: caffeine, oxiracetam, piracetam, rhodiola
anxiolytics: phosphatidylserine, bacopa, l theanine, aniracetam (1,5g-2,5g)

ps: i use bacopa from smart powders. This is really cheap.
https://www.smartpow...r-75-grams.aspx
I also use MSM and Chlorella to avoid any potential problem with heavy metals from using high dose of bacopa.

I hope this can help you guys :)

Edited by Gnumf, 20 January 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#104 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

personally bacopa in super high dose (1-2g two or three times a day) is really amazing for me!
I have tried almost every nootropic and bacopa is probably the most essential of my quite extensive stack.
It makes me happy, calm and clear minded. I think the action on serotonin is key.
Of course if you take it alone you will feel tired, but so what! You should not use only one nootropic!
I have read so many comments like: "yes piracetam is great but i cannot use it because it gives me anxiety". Well then try an anxiolytic with your piracetam !!!
In the case of bacopa, try to find a stimulant or a combination of stimulants that help you counteract the side effects that you don't like.

I also use MSM and Chlorella to avoid any potential problem with heavy metals from using high dose of bacopa.

powder? ewww isn't that disgusting? however I second that, bacopa and stimulants stack well. In fact my extreme caffeine sensitivity totally goes away when I take bacopa with it.
  • like x 1

#105 Gnumf

• 64 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Yes the taste is awful! Probably the worst tasting nootropic with pramiracetam. But I guess you have to suffer to be smart :)

#106 Bismarck

• 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well I do take piracetam and aniracetam daily, I also take subultiamine. Its not only that it makes you tired but increases your amount of sleep. I can tell because iam a polyphasic sleeper so my sleep goes from 5.5 hours to 11 hours daily.

Actually the first time I took it I really liked it and didnt feel tired at all but that night after I woke up from my first chore sleep I couldnt stay awake and went straight back to bed. The next day it made me really tired.

Piracetam doesnt have a anxiety affect on me, it makes me calm because my brain is able to deal better with things. I will try bacopa again because the first time it felt nice but as of now I cant affort to loose so much waking time.

#107 Mr. Pink

• 226 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

is bacopa the kind of thing that it only works while you're on it? I've been taking it before bed.

#108 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I took two pills of the himalaya extract now and Im still not tired, as long as this doesnt happen I will continue.
Luckily this also isnt crippling my productivity like aniracetam is which because the anxiolysis is making me lazy
but not bacopa which seems almost stimulant like in an odd way.
Not physically but the mental focus can be better than normal sometimes, whereas aniracetam is making me see sharper and in more detail and with more contrast but the focus does not seem so increased and also on ani I will have to force myself to work.

I should add that I use ashwagandha often in the evening and I drink my few cups of coffee along with the bacopa but for me as an addict the caffeine doesnt make me too energetic on its own.

By the way where do you always get the information from that bacopa is doing something on the serotonin system, its possible since it changes my mood but my searches about the mechanism of action didnt yield very much only that bacopa is an anti oxidant and that the action is not so well understood.

Edited by machete234, 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#109 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hey guys. I just got some Planetary Herbals brand Bacopa extract, 225mg. I think maybe some people will be interested in how it affects me considering that I am someone who has trouble focusing and anxiety, especially socially, and general fatigue. I think if there are any significant effects on fatigue, focus, or anxiety, it should be pretty easy for me to tell. I don't take any stimulants. Not even caffeine.

I've been looking for a nootropic for quite some time now that helps with these problems, and hopefully this one turns out better than the others I've tried. One example is Rhodiola... a lot of people report better focus and energy, but all it does to me is increases anxiety levels which leads to less focus and productivity for me. In my personal case, it seems that when I take calming agents I become more able to focus. Not sure if this is dopamine-related or what.

Hopefully this helps me. I will report back with my results after taking Bacopa so hopefully this can help some other people out, too.

Also: I have some trouble sleeping sometimes, and I will report back with results on that as well. :)

Posted Image

Edited by xeon, 21 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

• like x 1

#110 Nevine Pitera

• 42 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hey guys. I just got some Planetary Herbals brand Bacopa extract, 225mg. I think maybe some people will be interested in how it affects me considering that I am someone who has trouble focusing and anxiety, especially socially, and general fatigue. I think if there are any significant effects on fatigue, focus, or anxiety, it should be pretty easy for me to tell. I don't take any stimulants. Not even caffeine.

I've been looking for a nootropic for quite some time now that helps with these problems, and hopefully this one turns out better than the others I've tried. One example is Rhodiola... a lot of people report better focus and energy, but all it does to me is increases anxiety levels which leads to less focus and productivity for me. In my personal case, it seems that when I take calming agents I become more able to focus. Not sure if this is dopamine-related or what.

Hopefully this helps me. I will report back with my results after taking Bacopa so hopefully this can help some other people out, too.

Also: I have some trouble sleeping sometimes, and I will report back with results on that as well. :)

Posted Image

How is the progress with Bacopa for you?

#111 Templanoid

• 88 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Yes I"m interested in your progress too.

#112 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sorry to disappoint -- but I have not yet experimented with Bacopa. I've been trying out Turmeric by itself to see how that goes for me, which is going pretty well. However, my girlfriend has taken Bacopa several times since I posted this because she is very similar to me in the way of anxiety/focus/fatigue/etc. She reports that it helps her tremendously with being calm and content and not worrying excessively about unnecessary things, which she tends to do. She also says it helps her focus a lot better -- which could be related to lesser anxiety, but we are unsure.

I do plan on posting my experience with Bacopa when I start taking it, so don't give up on me! Haha.

EDIT: I have also added meditation into my daily routine and it's helped me think a lot more clearly in general by being able to ignore/not focus on unnecessary thoughts, simply by training my mind to do so. However, I still think there is enough evidence to believe I have some type of real medical/chemical condition that does not allow proper neuronal communication for whatever reason, because I still have all the symptoms of fatigue, etc. Turmeric has helped tremendously with fatigue as a matter of fact, and I would highly recommend it. Anxiety? Still have anxiety sometimes for no reason at all. Meditation and exercise seems to help with it some, but hopefully Bacopa even more so. We shall find out! :cool:

:imminst:

Edited by xeon, 06 February 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#113 Redux

• 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Xeon, please keep us posted if you eventually tried Bacopa. It looks im pretty much in the same line regarding the anxiety/focus. At the moment, i'm waiting for Bacopa by Himalaya sent from India, will report back when received.

Edited by Redux, 28 February 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#114 StarMitten20818

• 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

I used to take adderall and decided to acquire substitution. Took baxopa for a year ish at a gram a day ish. Also supped with piracetam during my first year run with this superb adaptogen. After everything left my system, began again after a three month rhodiola intake. Bacopa causes less sleepiness without racetams. Even with citicholine. Bacopa stimulates at like two grams a day. Focus is much clearer second time around the bacopa bend.

#115 pkstrl0rd

• 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have mild anxiety and I've been on Vitacost Bacopa Extract 300mg (45% bacosides) for 2 days now. I read about the sedating effects so I scooped some of the powder off the pill on the first day. Took it at about 5pm on an empty stomach and didn't feel any sedation. However I slept very soundly.

The next day I took a full capsule at about the same time and the sedation was very noticable. I'll have to cut down on the dose probably.

#116 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

I have mild anxiety and I've been on Vitacost Bacopa Extract 300mg (45% bacosides) for 2 days now. I read about the sedating effects so I scooped some of the powder off the pill on the first day. Took it at about 5pm on an empty stomach and didn't feel any sedation. However I slept very soundly.

The next day I took a full capsule at about the same time and the sedation was very noticable. I'll have to cut down on the dose probably.

Can you describe the sedation in more detail? What would you compare it to? Taking a benzo, or a benadryl, or what?

#117 Sholrak

• 222 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm planning to start this soon. I read a high dose could be lethal, a very huge dose in fact, and at low dose has been proven to help epileptic symptoms o. I am not epileptic nor have ever had an attack. Not really evidences to say me that but now I'm taking Renacenz and it dangerous to people with epileptic status, so I'm not currently in that state but I fear some NGF sunstances can precipitate this. Better to prevent this, do you think Bacopa could prevent a future/eventual epileptic attack?

I think epilepsy and visual processing speed are related. It could be an electric overcharging due to difficult processing visual stimuli.

It would make me drugged, smooth, relaxed, meditative, contemplative, or what? This herb seem to have a very complex mechanism, it's difficult to know what it will give you, what expect from it, but if it improves visual processing speed it's worth give it a try.

#118 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think epilepsy and visual processing speed are related. It could be an electric overcharging due to difficult processing visual stimuli.

That's a very interesting theory indeed. I wonder if there is any more information about this anywhere.

#119 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

That's a very interesting theory indeed. I wonder if there is any more information about this anywhere.

I wouldn't know about visual processing speed, but my condition (HPPD) has a hypothesized pathogenesis of sensory gating defeciency caused by chronic disinhibition of the visual apparatus (read: mini-epilepsy), and is mitigated by anti-epileptics. Symptoms include.. well no screw that, that'll take a long time before I'm done. Give it a google if you're interested. Symptoms are visual mainly.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I wouldn't know about visual processing speed, but my condition (HPPD) has a hypothesized pathogenesis of sensory gating defeciency caused by chronic disinhibition of the visual apparatus (read: mini-epilepsy), and is mitigated by anti-epileptics. Symptoms include.. well no screw that, that'll take a long time before I'm done. Give it a google if you're interested. Symptoms are visual mainly.

What to Google exactly? HPPD epilepsy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users