Photo
- - - - -

Alternatives to Sugar

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:41 AM

I'm surprised to see that the Splenda controversy hasn't been debated here yet (at least my search hasn't turned up a thread.)

Anyway, it's damn hard to know which sweetener is safe - too much money is at stake I suppose. :)

Anyway, judging by the disinterested nutritionists who have come out against it, I'm staying away from Splenda.

That leaves me with Stevia & Xylitol.

Stevia doesn't taste all that good and I keep coming across warnings; Xylitol tastes great but is basically a sugar alcohol that certainly effects insulin.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Cheers!

~katz

#2 katzenjammer

• Topic Starter
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:04 AM

I gather that "luo han guo" is another alternative: http://www.raysaheli...uo_han_guo.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:23 AM

Stevia doesn't taste all that good and I keep coming across warnings

Yeah, I thought stevia was supposed to be da schizzle, but I've seen the scary warnings. (cue creepy music- woo eeee ooohh...) So is there anything to that? Is it just High Fructose Corn Sweetener Industry Disinformation, or did Mother Gaia screw up?

#4 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:59 AM

We have talked some about Splenda. Most here have very few issues with it in moderation. The only real relevant point I found discussed was the chlorine atom.

Other than that "60 to 90% of the sucralose was excreted in the feces, while the remaining 10 to 30% was excreted in the urine". Basically most is not absorbed and what is is excreted. It doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, doesn't build up in tissues. It doesn't effect insulin, blood sugar or appetite for "sweetness" like other sweeteners (stevia included). So whats the big deal? Give me some concrete studies not some nutritionist's opinion (personally I have found a lot of nutritionists to be well less than informed).

http://www.ffcr.or.j.../e-kousei-sucra

#5 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:41 AM

Agave
Stevia

#6 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

What about Erythritol? I havnt researched it extensively but its all natural, has a sweet taste, mostly passes unabsorbed and doesnt affect blood sugar levels.

#7 katzenjammer

• Topic Starter
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

We have talked some about Splenda. Most here have very few issues with it in moderation. The only real relevant point I found discussed was the chlorine atom.

Other than that "60 to 90% of the sucralose was excreted in the feces, while the remaining 10 to 30% was excreted in the urine". Basically most is not absorbed and what is is excreted. It doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, doesn't build up in tissues. It doesn't effect insulin, blood sugar or appetite for "sweetness" like other sweeteners (stevia included). So whats the big deal? Give me some concrete studies not some nutritionist's opinion (personally I have found a lot of nutritionists to be well less than informed).

http://www.ffcr.or.j.../e-kousei-sucra

Edward, thanks, I'll try to find the thread(s) you're referring to; maybe you're right about sucralose. I'm going to consider it further.

Forever21, I don't like Agave - it's 100% fructose, right?

Woly, thanks - I'll look into erythritol.

Cheers all, ~katz

#8 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

I thought you're just looking for sugar alternatives.

I personally don't use any.

Even when I was drinking coffee before, I drink it neat. Sans creme, sans sucre.

#9 katzenjammer

• Topic Starter
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

I thought you're just looking for sugar alternatives.

I personally don't use any.

Even when I was drinking coffee before, I drink it neat. Sans creme, sans sucre.

Me2 on the coffee - always have.

Yeah, I'm looking for a safe, healthy sugar alternative. For example, I love melting high quality baking chocolate with some water to make a kind of warm pudding - yummmm. Since it has no sweetener, as dark as I like it, it still needs SOME sweetener.

~katz

Edited by katzenjammer, 10 November 2008 - 02:26 PM.

#10 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

I've seen an interesting discussion on splenda on the bb science section - obviously you need to filter some BS - but there's also some quality discussion. Didn't look for anything on our board yet.

It's surprsing that MR, normally really cautious, was not at all worried about "aspartame (or sucralose, for that matter)", citing an interesting study on sweetners, cancer and life span.

Maybe we can arrive at some sort of consensus? I tend to stick with Paracelsus if I have to use sweetners.

#11 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

I use sorbitol.

#12 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

If you read literature on Xylitol, you will find that it is widely reported to have little or no effect on blood sugar or insulin levels in humans. Plus, it is alleged to have many health benefits. It would likely be a problem for dogs though.

I made pistachio xylitol ice cream yesterday, just as good as any regular ice cream I've ever had. Requires a colder temp to freeze though. . . I think.

I'm surprised to see that the Splenda controversy hasn't been debated here yet (at least my search hasn't turned up a thread.)

Anyway, it's damn hard to know which sweetener is safe - too much money is at stake I suppose. :)

Anyway, judging by the disinterested nutritionists who have come out against it, I'm staying away from Splenda.

That leaves me with Stevia & Xylitol.

Stevia doesn't taste all that good and I keep coming across warnings; Xylitol tastes great but is basically a sugar alcohol that certainly effects insulin.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Cheers!

~katz

#13 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:33 AM

+1 for xylitol. Tastes great. Insulin independant. May have positve effect on bones and collagen.

#14 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:37 AM

+1 for xylitol. Tastes great. Insulin independant. May have positve effect on bones and collagen.

I just bought some zylitol gum. My dentist recommended it last week as he was filling a cavity.

#15 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

Erythritol looks interesting, apparently it has the advantage of not causing GI issues (cramping, gas, diarrhea etc.) which other sugar alcohols can cause. I know personally if I eat more than serving of the popular low carb icreams or candies on the market (sweetened with a combination of sorbitol, maltitol, lacititol ect.) my GI tract revolts.

#16 poser

• Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hi. The claim that sucralose does not even raise insulin or appetite for foods at all is new to me.

I would be interested in knowing if the stuff about it being an environmental hazard are true.

Edward: yeah, I don't think most people can tolerate xylitol in larger amounts that are required in baking, etc.

Erythritol or sucralose.

Edited by poser, 12 November 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#17 katzenjammer

• Topic Starter
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hi. The claim that sucralose does not even raise insulin or appetite for foods at all is new to me.

I would be interested in knowing if the stuff about it being an environmental hazard are true.

Edward: yeah, I don't think most people can tolerate xylitol in larger amounts that are required in baking, etc.

Erythritol or sucralose.

Okay, just picked up some erythritol. Wow - this stuff tastes great; haven't noticed ANY digestion issues thus far. Zero on the Glycemic Index? www.organiczero.com

Seems too good to be true; or is it truly a free lunch? :)

Edit: o, yeah, personally I don't tolerate xylitol all that well.

Edited by katzenjammer, 12 November 2008 - 09:40 PM.

#18 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:49 AM

Im fine with xylitol in gum, candy and toothpaste, I haven't consumed it in large amounts.... But sorbitol, maltitol, lacititol used in large amounts in low carb stuff is a disaster so maybe xylitol in large amounts would have the same effect.

#19 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, watch the intake of these sweeteners, absolutely no need to foster addiction to A Sweet Taste...........

#20 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

Im fine with xylitol in gum, candy and toothpaste, I haven't consumed it in large amounts.... But sorbitol, maltitol, lacititol used in large amounts in low carb stuff is a disaster so maybe xylitol in large amounts would have the same effect.

Well, I am trying xylitol (in ice cream) in larger amounts, just to see what happens. It did cause some bloating, but no horrible reactions.

#21 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Whenever I chew sugar-free come, I get nauseous, so xylitol is out for me. Stevia doesn't taste good, and neither does splenda. Whenever I take a sip of a product that has splenda, I immediately know it's in there.

Honestly, I just use evaporated cane juice or honey. I know it's sugar, but what's the big deal? You gotta live a little bit.

Sometimes I use licorice root extract. It has a nice bittersweet taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users