Photo
- - - - -

Which version of retin-a?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 just1more

• 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

I searched the existing threads to try to find an answer but didn't have any luck.

I'm in my late 30's with fair (Irish) skin that's a bit uneven with some spots of redness and some fine wrinkles around the eyes. I'd like to start a regimen to improve my skin and help minimize aging in the years to come.

From what I've read here, it seems that some form of Retin-a is probably the best option so my plan is to try out Revgenetic's "Sirtuin Skin" cream in the morning and a light dose of Retin-a a few times per week at night.

I'm a little confused on the different versions, though. I was going to go with a .025 retin-a cream but then I saw that there's "Retin-a Micro" which is supposed to have reduced side effects (inflammation, peeling,etc). Would that be better for my purposes? Also, is gel better than cream?

It does look like the Retin-A Micro is version is quite expensive, though. At http://www.unitedpha...tring=tretinoin it's $49/tube compared to $17/tube(generic). Maybe it would make sense to use the expensive Micro for the first 6 months or so until my skin acclimates (to hopefully skip the redness/peeling/breakout stage) and then switch to the normal retin-a?

Someone in another thread mentioned http://www.alldayche.../Tretinoin.html and the prices seem almost too good to be true (about $2/tube). Are they for real?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
just1more

#2 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:23 AM

Consensus seems to be the gel penetrates better than the cream which would be a good thing. Alldaychemist is very legit.
Prices are crazy low. Shipping is sorta high but no problem. Order a few tubes when you order.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

Yes, the gel is 'stronger' than the cream. I haven't tried the micro thing but used the 0.025 cream nightly for a while, and now I use the gel. Haven't had any irritation (I use a small amount, and do pause a few days every once in a while). Been using everything from A to Z, and the tretinoin/retinoids plus sunscreen and vitamin C, E (introduced to the board by Fredrik) seems like the most sensible thing to improve skin health, IME.

#4 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

Yes, the gel is 'stronger' than the cream. I haven't tried the micro thing but used the 0.025 cream nightly for a while, and now I use the gel. Haven't had any irritation (I use a small amount, and do pause a few days every once in a while). Been using everything from A to Z, and the tretinoin/retinoids plus sunscreen and vitamin C, E (introduced to the board by Fredrik) seems like the most sensible thing to improve skin health, IME.

Thanks kenj for giving me the credit for that =) Cool to see that the skin health section is working. I´m actually a wee bit proud that I suggested a skincare section on imminst, seeing it being put to good use. But thanks to the guys n girls who listened and started it right up (I think it was zoolander, right? I don´t know the formal workings of imminst). Enough of my ramblings, go wash your faces and put a retinoid on. That´s what I´m gonna do.

#5 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

Consensus seems to be the gel penetrates better than the cream which would be a good thing. Alldaychemist is very legit.
Prices are crazy low. Shipping is sorta high but no problem. Order a few tubes when you order.

I just checked out the website and shipping for one 20 gram tube is 24.95. That's nuts.
If you want to get RetinA with or without a prescription try
this Canadian Pharmacy
The price is $19.99 for a 30 g tube...for both the brand and the generic. You don't need a prescription for the
generic. Shipping on some products is free. If there is a shipping charge it is never more than $9.99 and you can get
a huge order for that single shipping charge.
I recommend them highly. Very responsible, responsive and they have great customer service.

#6 Benae

• 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

I just placed an order at alldaychemist on Monday. Tazarotene 3 tubes/15 gr. @4.16 = $12.48 and Tretinoin 3 tubes/20 gr. @$2.08 = $6.24 for a total of $18.72 plus $24.90 shipping. Grand total of $43.62.

#7 Mouser

• 81 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:39 AM

Differin cream is what i would recommend. Retin-a and retin-a micro both irritated my skin and didn't give any positive results. Differin has been amazing.

#8 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:02 AM

I just checked out the website and shipping for one 20 gram tube is 24.95. That's nuts.
If you want to get RetinA with or without a prescription try
this Canadian Pharmacy
The price is $19.99 for a 30 g tube...for both the brand and the generic. You don't need a prescription for the
generic. Shipping on some products is free. If there is a shipping charge it is never more than $9.99 and you can get
a huge order for that single shipping charge.
I recommend them highly. Very responsible, responsive and they have great customer service.

$20 a tube compared to less than $3 a tube? Bad comparison. Makes no sense to order just one tube from alldaychemist at those low prices.
You dont need a prescription with alldaychemist either. You fill out some goofy info and that qualifies you.

Edited by mustardseed41, 14 November 2008 - 05:03 AM.

#9 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:11 AM

Retin-A Micro is the best, IMO. People think it's a cream, but it's actually an oil-free gel. It has the benefits of a gel without the irritation. This link answers a lot of questions about Retin-A Micro:
http://www.retinamicro.com/faq.asp

What's the difference between RETIN-A MICRO and RETIN-A?
While both RETIN-A and RETIN-A MICRO contain the same active ingredient, only RETIN-A MICRO offers the benefits of tretinoin with the patented microsphere delivery system to provide low levels of irritation. RETIN-A MICRO is a water-based gel that can be applied immediately after you wash your face, unlike RETIN-A, which requires a 20 to 30 minute waiting period. RETIN-A MICRO also reduces the appearance of facial shine.

If it's a gel, why does RETIN-A MICRO look like a cream?
RETIN-A MICRO is an acetone-free, alcohol-free, aqueous gel with microspheres suspended in the vehicle. The microspheres have an opaque powder appearance and cause the gel to look more like a cream.

#10 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

What does the postal package from alldaychemist say? Does it mention retin-a or does it say something like "skin cream"?

#11 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

What does the postal package from alldaychemist say? Does it mention retin-a or does it say something like "skin cream"?

It is pretty discrete ie plain packaging, I had about 5 tubes and it was well in a sealed plastic box, which in turn was wrapped up in plain packaging.

#12 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Its the same kind of undercover packaging that all the India pharmacies use to usher your products through customs. Alldaychemist has a $25 flat shipping rate -- thats how much it will be no matter how much you order. It makes sense to place fewer, larger orders with them.

#13 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

Retin-A Micro is the best, IMO. People think it's a cream, but it's actually an oil-free gel. It has the benefits of a gel without the irritation. This link answers a lot of questions about Retin-A Micro:
http://www.retinamicro.com/faq.asp

luminous,

If I may ask do you purchase your Retin-A Micro with an Rx? If not, what on-line service do you use? A brief search yields InhousePharm.

My skin, which used to be quite nice if I do say so, is not at all pleased by this retinoid stuff (Taz/Tret used in all the various permutations, bufferings, frequencies etc., one reads about here and elsewhere).
I am interested in trying the Micro-Gel. (.1%, I imagine)

Show willing!

Thanks, M

#14 just1more

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

Thanks a lot for all of the answers and suggestions! I also found some helpful info in one of Fredrik's earlier posts (http://www.imminst.o...ndpost&p=205618).

My skin is fairly sensitive so I decided to start off with the .025% retin-A cream and then maybe next time switch up to the gel or the .05%. If my skin can't handle the cream I'll probably try the micro or maybe Differin. I wanted to start with the micro but there's a such a big price difference.

I placed my order through alldaychemist. Their prices on the retin-a and other drugs are way lower than most other sellers. Not sure how they're able to do that but they seem to have good feedback so presumably their drugs are the real thing.

Thanks again,
:just1more:

#15 just1more

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:36 PM

...do you purchase your Retin-A Micro with an Rx? If not, what on-line service do you use? A brief search yields InhousePharm.

You can try http://www.unitedpha...tring=tretinoin for Retin-A Micro. I'm pretty sure they don't require a prescription (at least, they've never required one for anything else I've ordered from them). I've been using them for more than 4 years so I trust them.

I'll probably switch mainly to alldaychemist since their prices are a lot better but they don't carry Retin-A Micro.

:just1more:

#16 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:19 AM

Why is a prescription required for tretinoins? what are the serious side effects?

#17 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

Why is a prescription required for tretinoins? what are the serious side effects?

If you have fair skin, it can burn your skin, like a sunburn or windburn.
Probably start with the .025. You don't need a prescription for that, or the .5.
you can find it here prefaced by OTC.

#18 Mouser

• 81 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:54 AM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if your skin tends to get dry or irritated even the least bit, consider going with Differin cream. I can't even come close to conveying how much more effective it has been for me compared to retin-a micro and regular retin-a.

#19 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if your skin tends to get dry or irritated even the least bit, consider going with Differin cream. I can't even come close to conveying how much more effective it has been for me compared to retin-a micro and regular retin-a.

mouser,

My meezer loves your screen name. =^^= ~

Differin looks interesting. Does it provide the same "anti-aging" benefits as Retin-A? I've not yet found the info in literature.

Thanks, M

#20 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

how long will a tube of retino-a 20 grams last? If you only use it on your face in a reasonable quantity.Any estimations?

#21 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:41 AM

how long will a tube of retino-a 20 grams last? If you only use it on your face in a reasonable quantity.Any estimations?

If you use it on your face every night, not very long. Maybe a month. If that. 20 grams isn't even
an ounce.

#22 Mouser

• 81 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:50 AM

mouser,

My meezer loves your screen name. =^^= ~

Differin looks interesting. Does it provide the same "anti-aging" benefits as Retin-A? I've not yet found the info in literature.

Thanks, M

From what I've seen it looks to be somewhat effective but less so than retin-a in regards to fine lines and discoloration. However, given that retin-a in its various forms has given me nothing but negative results, any positive effect from Differin is infinitely better. I've used it primarily for acne. It has worked well for that and has helped to even out dryness and made my skin look much younger all over. Retin-a seems to be a better choice for those who can tolerate it. But for me it's not even a contest. At some point I may go back and try retin-a micro again and see how it goes.

#23 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

It takes me approximately three weeks to go through one of those 20gram tubes.

#24 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

>>> how long will a tube of retino-a 20 grams last?

>>> It takes me approximately three weeks to go through one of those 20gram tubes.

Mine lasts several months (one did expire in fact!), perhaps I may not use much (small pea size), and use it consistently.

#25 Mouser

• 81 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

>>> It takes me approximately three weeks to go through one of those 20gram tubes.

Mine lasts several months (one did expire in fact!), perhaps I may not use much (small pea size), and use it consistently.

It helps if you are clean shaven when you apply it. Not in terms of effectiveness, but in terms of being able to use less, thus getting a tube to last longer. This is especially trued with the micro.

#26 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

It helps if you are clean shaven when you apply it. Not in terms of effectiveness, but in terms of being able to use less, thus getting a tube to last longer. This is especially trued with the micro.

I like the regular cream (.10%) much more than the microgel (.10%). I think it 's more effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users