- - - - -

Retin-a causes acne?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

I have a question for retin-a users:
About two weeks ago I started using a prescription retin-a gel after reading about several documented benefits on this skin health forum. After I started using the retin-a, my skin began flaking / peeling (which I understand is normal) however now I am breaking out in my beard area and on my cheeks where I don't usually get acne. My skin does not appear to be red or irritated other than this moderate acne and slight skin peeling. Is this a normal part of the skin's acclamation process to retin-a? Any solutions to the acne problem?

#2 Mouser

• 81 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

About two weeks ago I started using a prescription retin-a gel after reading about several documented benefits on this skin health forum. After I started using the retin-a, my skin began flaking / peeling (which I understand is normal) however now I am breaking out in my beard area and on my cheeks where I don't usually get acne. My skin does not appear to be red or irritated other than this moderate acne and slight skin peeling. Is this a normal part of the skin's acclamation process to retin-a? Any solutions to the acne problem?

Many say this is the normal reaction and eventually it will get better. I've stuck with it for a few months on several occasions and never experienced any improvement. So, it'll probably get better, unless it doesn't :)

Since I switched to differin things have been much better.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

Good! The Retin-A is clearing out microcomedones, forcing them to surface. Retin-A doesn´t cause acne, it treats acne by doing what you´re experiencing now. Purging your skin of microcomedones. It will soon pass and you will enjoy clear skin. This is how retinoid-deficient skin reacts in the beginning (yes, sun-exposed and old skin is retinoid deficient, gammaRAR is upregulated trying to compensate, because daylight destroy skins vitamin A).

I believe even you could tolerate tretinoin mouser if you would start using it once a week and advancing to twice a week after a month or longer. 3 times a week is enough to maintain your skin improvement. Most people can tolerate retinoids if they just use them correctly (retinoic acid is a natural part of everyones skin). In the beginning the skin barrier breaks down, but this reaction is transient. When this happens, take two days off and start again. After a while your skin will be more deeply moisturized from within because you´ll have more glycosaminoglycans that can bind water.

It´s important to use a non-lathering cleanser if you´re sensitive (cerave, Dove Pro-age). Emollient creams with petrolatum, dimethicone, sheabutter and rapeseed oil + a humectant like glycerol and urea can help keep the barrier intact. I use Eucerin urea 5% + Vaseline moisture lock lotion (petrolatum + glycerol) now when it´s colder. I use it only where I shave and on the whole neck. It keeps my barrier intact so I can tolerate strong anti-aging retinoids even in the winter.

Edited by Fredrik, 17 November 2008 - 10:53 PM.

#4 Skötkonung

• Topic Starter
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:14 AM

Good! The Retin-A is clearing out microcomedones, forcing them to surface. Retin-A doesn´t cause acne, it treats acne by doing what you´re experiencing now. Purging your skin of microcomedones. It will soon pass and you will enjoy clear skin. This is how retinoid-deficient skin reacts in the beginning (yes, sun-exposed and old skin is retinoid deficient, gammaRAR is upregulated trying to compensate, because daylight destroy skins vitamin A).

I believe even you could tolerate tretinoin mouser if you would start using it once a week and advancing to twice a week after a month or longer. 3 times a week is enough to maintain your skin improvement. Most people can tolerate retinoids if they just use them correctly (retinoic acid is a natural part of everyones skin). In the beginning the skin barrier breaks down, but this reaction is transient. When this happens, take two days off and start again. After a while your skin will be more deeply moisturized from within because you´ll have more glycosaminoglycans that can bind water.

It´s important to use a non-lathering cleanser if you´re sensitive (cerave, Dove Pro-age). Emollient creams with petrolatum, dimethicone, sheabutter and rapeseed oil + a humectant like glycerol and urea can help keep the barrier intact. I use Eucerin urea 5% + Vaseline moisture lock lotion (petrolatum + glycerol) now when it´s colder. I use it only where I shave and on the whole neck. It keeps my barrier intact so I can tolerate strong anti-aging retinoids even in the winter.

Hi Fredrik,
Thank you for responding to my thread - it was your posts that made me decide to try Retin-A as a method of improving the tone of my skin and slow the effects of aging. I wouldn't have thought my skin as very sun-damaged / old as I am only 24 and try to protect my skin somewhat religiously using sunscreen, but it very well could be retinoid deficient / damaged and I'm just not aware of it. Right now, while I am waiting for my Retin-A gel to arrive from AllDayChemist, I am using a Neutrogena product that contains their proprietary Retinol SA formulation with dimethicone. I am speculating that since this is a OTC product, it will be much weaker than the ADC product I have ordered online.

-Right now I am using a Basis liquid facial cleanser, which does contain sodium-lauryl-sulfate:
http://www.amazon.co...-...8783&sr=1-1

-A unscented / non-greasy / non-codemogenic lotion made by Lubriderm.

-And a Neutrogena SPF 55 sunscreen with helioplex.

My face is very finicky over what it will tolerate. My skin tends to get dry very easily and even slightly abrasive activity such as shaving can cause me to break out. I've bought countless OTC products and expensive soaps and nothing has helped -- somehow the above combination has landed me with the least shaving irritation / acne, although it still occurs. In a quest for irritation free skin, two years ago I adopted a vegetarian (bordering on vegan) diet and my skin has only improved slightly. Oddly, my face is the only place that experiences this problem... unless i take oral antibiotics and then all of my skin looks great.

I was hoping that adding a retinol to my regimen would improve my complexion, and it did improve my skin tone momentarily, but now it seems like my skin has taken a turn for the worse. Is it possible that some people (perhaps myself included) just can't tolerate retinoids? Or should I simply put up with the irritation and hope that the irritation will clear?

Based on the condensed personal history I have given you, do you still think I should switch to he products you mentioned above?

Edited by shawn57187, 18 November 2008 - 01:43 AM.

#5 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

shawn57187,
yes the retinol is much weaker than prescription tretinoin, so it can be a good start getting your skin used to retinoids. Only a small amount of it gets oxidized and converted into retinoic acid in your skin. Some dermatologist says that it has one 10th the strength of tretinoin.

I wouldn´t recommend anyone to start a prescription retinoid regime in the winter. Much easier in the spring-summer when the humidity is higher.

I would recommend you switch to Coria labs CERAVE cleanser, CETAPHIL or POND´S Cold Cream Cleanser instead. It doesn´t strip your skin of lipids to the same extent that sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate formulations do (it actually deposits cholesterol which your skin use to repair its barrier).

Use the Neutrogena retinol serum through the winter in the same way, every third, then second day etc. In the spring you can start with tretinoin every third day until you see no flaking or redness. Use moisturizer 20-60 minutes after it (20 in the beginning, 60 later).

And stick to it, the irritation will subside in two to four weeks generally. When that happen you can start using tretinoin every other day and so on.

I think everyone can and should use a retinoid to supplement a functional deficiency of vitamin A in the skin. What will differ between persons is the frequency of application and the strength. When people claim that they have tried retinoids and couldn´t tolerate it it´s because they used to much to soon...and they gave up to soon.

Good luck!

Edited by Fredrik, 18 November 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#6 Mouser

• 81 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

Good! The Retin-A is clearing out microcomedones, forcing them to surface. Retin-A doesn´t cause acne, it treats acne by doing what you´re experiencing now. Purging your skin of microcomedones. It will soon pass and you will enjoy clear skin. This is how retinoid-deficient skin reacts in the beginning (yes, sun-exposed and old skin is retinoid deficient, gammaRAR is upregulated trying to compensate, because daylight destroy skins vitamin A)....

I might try it again as you recommended once a week in place of Differin on that day. Does retin-a micro actually expire and fail to work after the date on the tube, or is it more like a "best used by" date?

#7 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

Good! The Retin-A is clearing out microcomedones, forcing them to surface. Retin-A doesn´t cause acne, it treats acne by doing what you´re experiencing now. Purging your skin of microcomedones. It will soon pass and you will enjoy clear skin. This is how retinoid-deficient skin reacts in the beginning (yes, sun-exposed and old skin is retinoid deficient, gammaRAR is upregulated trying to compensate, because daylight destroy skins vitamin A)....

I might try it again as you recommended once a week in place of Differin on that day. Does retin-a micro actually expire and fail to work after the date on the tube, or is it more like a "best used by" date?

Since tretinoin is sensitive to light, oxygen and oxidizing agents I wouldn´t use it on my face after it expired. I would switch using it in a slightly less important area, like the back of my hands or neck until its finished.

#8 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Since tretinoin is sensitive to light, oxygen and oxidizing agents I wouldn´t use it on my face after it expired. I would switch using it in a slightly less important area, like the back of my hands or neck until its finished.

Can I ask if this also applies to tazarotene? I have a few tubes of Tazret (ADC) 0.1% cream that have completely unreadable expiry dates.

#9 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

Can I ask if this also applies to tazarotene? I have a few tubes of Tazret (ADC) 0.1% cream that have completely unreadable expiry dates.

Fortunately, taz is much more stable since it is a pro-drug. You can even use it in daylight. It isn´t active until it´s converted to tazarotenic acid in the skin.

#10 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

I forgot to mention something pertaining to the original question about a link between tretinoin and acne. The original Ortho-Neutrogena formula, the Retin-A cream, contains isopropyl myristate which can be comedogenic. Better switch to another formulation, brand or retinoid if you experience problem. But the original poster used a gel so that´s not the problem in his case.

Edited by Fredrik, 19 November 2008 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users