Photo
- - - - -

Any Examples of Miraculous Slowing of Aging in Supplementing Individua

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

We live in an age where all sorts of supplements are available. Also, it's obvious there are a large number of people who take many different supplements. There is a smaller number of people who take large doses of a huge number of supplements.

I'm curious if there are any examples of people who have miraculously slowed down or reversed their aging process.

For example, are there any 60 year olds that are biologically only 30 years old?

#2 Proconsul

• 108 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

We live in an age where all sorts of supplements are available. Also, it's obvious there are a large number of people who take many different supplements. There is a smaller number of people who take large doses of a huge number of supplements.

I'm curious if there are any examples of people who have miraculously slowed down or reversed their aging process.

For example, are there any 60 year olds that are biologically only 30 years old?

Interesting question. The other day I was just thinking that if supplement worked, by now some of the people who have been taking them for a long time should look much younger than their chronological age. One would expect also that such cases should pop up in the media - especially considering that it would be in the interests of the farmaceutical companies that sell supplements. The fact that this is not the case seems to me rather telling.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

Interesting question. The other day I was just thinking that if supplement worked, by now some of the people who have been taking them for a long time should look much younger than their chronological age. One would expect also that such cases should pop up in the media - especially considering that it would be in the interests of the farmaceutical companies that sell supplements. The fact that this is not the case seems to me rather telling.

Dr. Peter Proctor and his wife from taking PBN.

#4 gattaca

• 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

I have noticed that spin traps do not seem too popular here for some reason. Or anywhere.

I have also noticed that googling "Dr. Peter Proctor" provides some pretty entertaining results. He has a delightful house, apparently.

#5 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

We have in Sweden a famous musician/artist who is born 1963, 45 years old. He is a new ager, a special guy. But he is a vegetarian and he is drinking spirulina every day. I don't know so much about his supplement regimen, but I guess there is more into it. An image of him,

Posted Image

or a bigger image:
http://www.ringside-...eva2_mindre.jpg

He is looking very young to be a 45 year old guy.

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia..../Thomas_Di_Leva

Edited by aikikai, 01 December 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#6 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

OP, you have answered your own question more or less. It is only today that we live in an age were both supplements and the necessary knowledge to use them is available.* It is only now that supplements become available that may have very weak age-retarding effects (or not).*
Apart from that there are no miraculous supplements that I know of anyway, so you will hardly find any individuals that significantly slowed down aging using supplements.
IMHO it's way too easy to do harm with supplements and there are not enough hardcore life extensionists to asses and quantify the possible effects supplements might have.

* Maybe I'm wrong but what supplements were available back in the day? PBN (the spintrap) in the 90s? Metformin? Melatonin? alpha-lipoic acid? High dose antioxidants? Most of those interventions are unlikely to have a (significant) positive effect anyway. What about correct dosing, was this common knowledge back then?
Assuming you started in the 90s with your supplement regimen, you were lucky and it did  no harm *and* worked in some way. To show any visible and appreciable change after those 20 years (slowing of aging), the regime would need to be in the ballpark of at least ~25% max life span extension (so you'd age 15 years in 20  years).  There is no such magic pill, not even today.

I have noticed that spin traps do not seem too popular here for some reason. Or anywhere.

I have also noticed that googling "Dr. Peter Proctor" provides some pretty entertaining results. He has a delightful house, apparently.

I am not even sure if they work at all (note the recent  failure of the main metabolite of PBN) and if they did it would be difficult to notice (IIRC 3-5% mean/max life span extension in some early studies on rodents) for outsiders.

Edited by kismet, 01 December 2008 - 11:34 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:09 AM

Spin Traps aren't as popular here because they are a bit more complex and harder to find than Vitamin C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users