Photo
- - - - -

Blood pressure down to 97 over 65!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

I don't exercise much, am overweight, eat a decent amount of sodium, am being treated for moderate HBP for several years. I'm on 5mg ramipril, and it's never brought my BP below 125 over 85. Usually it's been 130 over 90. I was at the doctor recently, was surprised to see my BP was 115 over 75. Hmmm. Today I had a colonoscopy, (had a virtual colonoscopy a year ago, saw a few small polyps,) and I had my BP measured twice, two different machines.

It measured 97 over 65! I was astounded! I'd expect that from a lean vegetarian on a low salt diet. I wonder what's up? I feel just fine. I take an occasional multi, 200 mg bentofiamine, 2000 IU of D3, a tablespoon of raw cocoa powder daily, (Navitas), about 100mg Pynogenol, 2000g of curcumin, 300-500 mg of resveratrol, 500mg IP6.

I don't think it's the resveratrol, as I have been taking that for a while, and I have had mediocre BP readings while on it. The curcumin I've been taking more consistently of late, everyday. All of the others I have been taking for several months, but were started after my last not-so-great BP reading.

Any ideas?

#2 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

I don't exercise much, am overweight, eat a decent amount of sodium, am being treated for moderate HBP for several years. I'm on 5mg ramipril, and it's never brought my BP below 125 over 85. Usually it's been 130 over 90. I was at the doctor recently, was surprised to see my BP was 115 over 75. Hmmm. Today I had a colonoscopy, (had a virtual colonoscopy a year ago, saw a few small polyps,) and I had my BP measured twice, two different machines.

It measured 97 over 65! I was astounded! I'd expect that from a lean vegetarian on a low salt diet. I wonder what's up? I feel just fine. I take an occasional multi, 200 mg bentofiamine, 2000 IU of D3, a tablespoon of raw cocoa powder daily, (Navitas), about 100mg Pynogenol, 2000g of curcumin, 300-500 mg of resveratrol, 500mg IP6.

I don't think it's the resveratrol, as I have been taking that for a while, and I have had mediocre BP readings while on it. The curcumin I've been taking more consistently of late, everyday. All of the others I have been taking for several months, but were started after my last not-so-great BP reading.

Any ideas?

Blood pressure can change due to a variety of reasons -- even changes in seasons/weather and time of day can make a person go from normal to hypertensive. I would make sure you take into account all of these factors when monitoring your blood pressure, especially given the spike isn't outside a healthy range of variance.

That said, it could be possible that one or more of your supplements is making your blood pressure change, but there is no way to be sure unless you start experimenting with dosages and taking regular blood pressure readings. Or you could simply just stop taking them all together and see what happens?

Personally, I think that if you suspect your supplements of making your blood pressure drop, I would be very cautious. Imagine if your blood pressure continues to drop and causes you some serious health complications. Or your blood pressure drop is the result of health problems caused by your supplements. At the very least, I would continue to monitor it carefully.

On a side note, if you don't watch your diet and don't exercise, why are you taking all those supplements? If you're not even covering the basics, it would seem like you are just wasting your money. As far as I know, no OTC supplements are going to fully compensate for an unhealthy lifestyle...there is no true miracle pill yet available that can match the efficacy of proper exercise and diet. If you really want a healthy reduction in blood pressure, improving your cardiovascular health through regular exercise and healthy eating is probably the best solution. If you don't do these things, how do you expect to achieve longevity, not to mention a normal lifespan? I'm not knocking supplements, I take most of what you have listed above, but I would concentrate on acheiving a healthy diet / exercise regimen before spending money on supplements that may moderately help you at best.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:22 AM

Any ideas?

Blood pressure can change due to a variety of reasons -- even changes in seasons/weather and time of day can make a person go from normal to hypertensive. I would make sure you take into account all of these factors when monitoring your blood pressure, especially given the spike isn't outside a healthy range of variance.

That said, it could be possible that one or more of your supplements is making your blood pressure change, but there is no way to be sure unless you start experimenting with dosages and taking regular blood pressure readings. Or you could simply just stop taking them all together and see what happens?

Personally, I think that if you suspect your supplements of making your blood pressure drop, I would be very cautious. Imagine if your blood pressure continues to drop and causes you some serious health complications. Or your blood pressure drop is the result of health problems caused by your supplements. At the very least, I would continue to monitor it carefully.

On a side note, if you don't watch your diet and don't exercise, why are you taking all those supplements? If you're not even covering the basics, it would seem like you are just wasting your money. As far as I know, no OTC supplements are going to fully compensate for an unhealthy lifestyle...there is no true miracle pill yet available that can match the efficacy of proper exercise and diet. If you really want a healthy reduction in blood pressure, improving your cardiovascular health through regular exercise and healthy eating is probably the best solution. If you don't do these things, how do you expect to achieve longevity, not to mention a normal lifespan? I'm not knocking supplements, I take most of what you have listed above, but I would concentrate on acheiving a healthy diet / exercise regimen before spending money on supplements that may moderately help you at best.

I agree, I ought to be losing weight and exercising, and I have lost some in the past year, I just got off the path. Same with the exercising. It's difficult for me to find the time, but I seem to go in cycles, yo-yo exercising. Losing weight isn't easy, otherwise you wouldn't see a million diet fads and books in existence. I have been slowly improving the diet, but it's not where I want to be. So, I'm working on the hard stuff, but let's face it. Taking a supplement IS easy.

As far as the blood pressure yes, I agree, I ought to start monitoring it more closely. But you know, I feel just great. I've feel flexible, no aches and pains. I'm bumping 50. Not long ago, just 6 months ago or so, I felt a bit creaky, some aches and pains. I would sometimes feel pain in my hips and knees when climbing steps. That's all gone. I've been thinking about all that's been made lately of the impact inflammation has on one's health. I have had good results with curcumin in the past, and for the last few months I've been taking about 14 grams a week, along with some regular tumeric. I added the D too, 2000 IU. As I say, I feel just great. Now I do do some exercise. I walk about a half an hour a day with the dog. I don't get tired. He does though, as he's 12. I guess that helps me some. I'm just wondering whether that D and curcumin has relieved me of an inflammation burden I may have been carrying.

Here's another thing, something I mentioned in another thread. I used to get gingivitis often. Since taking resveratrol, I have not had ANY. It seems that the gingivitis was eradicated when I started taking the resveratrol with HPMC in water. There was no change from taking t-res in capsules. The lack of gingivitis is the most profound change I have had from the resveratrol.

Edited by FuLL meMbeR, 25 November 2008 - 04:49 AM.

#4 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:04 AM

Here's another thing, something I mentioned in another thread. I used to get gingivitis often. Since taking resveratrol, I have not had ANY. It seems that the gingivitis was eradicated when I started taking the resveratrol with HPMC in water. There was no change from taking t-res in capsules. The lack of gingivitis is the most profound change I have had from the resveratrol.

The fledgling periodontist in me wants to know: is the resveratrol eliminating the plaque that caused the gingivitis or is it just causing the body to ignore it?

#5 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:35 AM

The fledgling periodontist in me wants to know: is the resveratrol eliminating the plaque that caused the gingivitis or is it just causing the body to ignore it?

I have reason to believe that the resveratrol is acting as a bactericide. Please don't ask me how I know that, as the answer is kind of gross. [Hint. What happens when bacteria gets working on food?]

Ok. I'll fess up, as gross as it is. The used floss has no odor. Think about it.

#6 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:52 AM

That list does not sound like anything other than the basics. Thread Starter is complaining of good health ;P

#7 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

I know I read somewhere that Pycnogenol lowers blood pressure but I can't remember now. Another thing, If someone had a tube up my wahoo, I can almost guarantee with 100% certainty that my blood pressure would drop :)

Btw, were you given some kind of anesthetic? Maybe this influenced your BP.

#8 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:51 PM

I know I read somewhere that Pycnogenol lowers blood pressure but I can't remember now. Another thing, If someone had a tube up my wahoo, I can almost guarantee with 100% certainty that my blood pressure would drop :)

The BP was measured before I started, juts after I got to the hospital. Now, I did fast the entire day before, except for some Sprite. I also consumed a half-gallon of that nasty solution, which I think was a combo of miralx and some electrolytes. Also had the generic exlax.

#9 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

That list does not sound like anything other than the basics. Thread Starter is complaining of good health ;P

More like miraculously good health. Next thread will be about me seeing the outline of Jesus on my ham n cheese.

#10 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

As Lufega mentioned, pycnogenol jumps out as an obvious cause for the lowered blood pressure, since this has been documented in studies. Cocoa is another likely contributor. If you are still taking medication to manage high blood pressure it sounds like its time to wean off, under your doctor's supervision.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 25 November 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#11 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

As Lufega mentioned, pycnogenol jumps out as an obvious cause for the lowered blood pressure, since this has been documented in studies. Cocoa is another likely contributor. If you are still taking medication to manage high blood pressure it sounds like its time to wean off, under your doctor's supervision.

I'm only taking 50mg of pycnogenol. I am taking 500mg of green tea extract. I remember about a month ago, I went to the doctor and he measured my BP. It was 115 over 75. I was quite surprised, as I hadn't taken my meds that day. It seems as though my BP has been brought down into the normal range, and the meds are bringing it even lower. If so, that is a quite amazing result, as BP doesn't usually get better unless one loses weight and/or cuts out a bunch of sodium. I have done neither.

I wonder whether it would lower my risk of heart disease even more by taking the meds and keeping my BP at that low range of 100/65. I do have some wacky high lipids. Lipitor has brought down the LDL, but the HDL is a bit low, and the tri's have been brought down only to about 225, from well over 400.

Edit: In the OP I said I was taking 100mg Pycnogenol. It's only 50mg.

Edited by FuLL meMbeR, 28 November 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

I don't exercise much, am overweight,

don't kid yourself into thinking that supplements and drugs are in any way a replacement for the first and second most important aspects of a human health. you've gotten your markers down.. great. now you should focus on exercise and diet and wean yourself off the drugs & condition specific supplements as much as possible. your markers may be down, but the chronic inflammation and dysfunctions that are causing them to be up in the first place are still there.

#13 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

A few questions:
- has your blood pressure been this low subsequently?
- was your pressure taken during the procedure (and this is what you're reporting to us?)
- have you been drinking enough fluids?
- are you experiencing signs and symptoms of hypotension, i.e. faint, dizzy, weak, pale and clammy skin?
- has your heart rate gone up or down too?

Keep in mind that whenever you go the rectal route in medicine you are stimulating the vagus nerve, i.e. cholinergic/parasympathetic. This slows down your heart rate and contractility, as well as causing your peripheral blood vessels to dilate-- resulting in a drop in blood pressure; this would make sense if the accompanying pulses were low. If you were not drinking fluids a lot lately, and especially if somebody was messing with your colon (which is responsible for the absorption of fluids from your food back into your bloodstream) you could be dehydrated and/or have an electrolyte imbalance; the blood pressure would indicate early hypovolemic shock, in which case your heart rate should be up.
If your blood pressure is still down a significant period of time after the procedure, and you've made sure you rehydrated, then I'm stumped. If you're still hypotensive and symptomatic I would probably hold on the ACE inhibitor for now and go see the doc.

#14 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

A few questions:
- has your blood pressure been this low subsequently?
- was your pressure taken during the procedure (and this is what you're reporting to us?)
- have you been drinking enough fluids?
- are you experiencing signs and symptoms of hypotension, i.e. faint, dizzy, weak, pale and clammy skin?
- has your heart rate gone up or down too?

I haven't taken my BP since. I have an gauge I'll have to dig out. The pressure was taken before the procedure, As far as the liquids, the day before I had loaded up on liquids, as well as as 64 oz of an electrolyte/mirlax mix. Keep in mind, I was being flushed out that day before. I had no liquids after midnight, and my BP was measured the following day around 10am.

i had no hypotensive symptoms at all.

Edited by FuLL meMbeR, 28 November 2008 - 09:16 PM.

#15 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:11 AM

The BP was measured before I started, juts after I got to the hospital. Now, I did fast the entire day before, except for some Sprite. I also consumed a half-gallon of that nasty solution, which I think was a combo of miralx and some electrolytes. Also had the generic exlax.

Here may be the cause of your low BP. Dehydration or at least decreased blood volume due to fluid deficit. Less liquid blood means lower BP temporarily and not in a good way. Patients come into the ER all the time with low BPs and when given a bolus of IV fluids their BP comes back up. Once hydrated their BP never drops back down.

#16 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:27 AM

from the paramedic in training, edward, thank you and amen!

#17 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

This is tangential to your topic, but I'm curious about why the HPMC is being used with resveratrol? My understanding is that it may delay absorption of medications. Is that the purpose here? Or is it being mixed with resveratrol to keep the resveratrol active over time (increasing shelf life)?

On the topic of killing the bacteria in your mouth, have you noticed that effect without using the HPMC (buccal delivery)?

Thanks,
David

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:32 AM

This is tangential to your topic, but I'm curious about why the HPMC is being used with resveratrol? My understanding is that it may delay absorption of medications. Is that the purpose here?

HPMC can form a gooey gel that can delay the absorption of whatever is trapped inside of it, but when used with resveratrol it is formulated as a dilute solution. In that case, it helps the resveratrol disperse and even partially dissolve in water. Its behavior is something like a detergent, in that the HPMC molecule is part polar and part nonpolar. HPMC and compounds like it are common ingredients in food products. I doubt that the HPMC itself has a bactericidal effect.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

This is tangential to your topic, but I'm curious about why the HPMC is being used with resveratrol? My understanding is that it may delay absorption of medications. Is that the purpose here?

HPMC can form a gooey gel that can delay the absorption of whatever is trapped inside of it, but when used with resveratrol it is formulated as a dilute solution. In that case, it helps the resveratrol disperse and even partially dissolve in water. Its behavior is something like a detergent, in that the HPMC molecule is part polar and part nonpolar. HPMC and compounds like it are common ingredients in food products. I doubt that the HPMC itself has a bactericidal effect.

Thanks for the information, Niner. So the thinking is that it partially dissolves the resveratrol in water, thus provides for greater digestion and/or absorption? Have there been any studies done on this? I mean, how did this idea originate? I didn't have time to do a complete background check, but a quick search on the forums shows that it is something that others are using as well and has been discussed.

Thanks for any references/info you can provide.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users