- - - - -

I feel tired and sleepy, all the time

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 blaman

• 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hello

I am an 18 year old guy, and recently, for the last 4-5 weeks, I have been feely ridiculously tired all the time. Before this period, I used to sleep 6-7h a night and feel amazingly refreshed, having the motivation and energy to do anything and everything. I skipped a year and am at college now, and the studies seemed easy and I got everything done.

But now, things have changed. I am sleeping a good 10 hours a night, and am sleeping an hour or two during the day. I feel tired and a bit down, and my mind is foggy - i cant be bothered to think and cant even motivate myself. I used to go out 3/4 times a week, and still be energetic, but now I cant go out even a couple of times - I feel so tired ALL the time.

This is seriously starting to affect my education. I wont fail or drop out - I am an intelligent individual, and know that as soon as my life gets back on track, i can sort out any academic problems. But this is affecting be socially as well. I dont feel the motivation/its too much effort to meet new people, work on friendships, and to go out to social events. A huge contrast from a few weeks, where my life revolved around this. This is making me depressed.

I read online a bit and did the Braverman assessment. I know its not the most reliable thing, but here are my results:

Dominant Nature
Section 1A = 36 Dopamine Nature
Section 2A = 26 Acetylcholine Nature
Section 3A = 21 GABA Nature
Section 4A = 24 Serotonin Nature

Deficient Nature
Section 1B = 12 Dopamine Nature
Section 2B = 12 Acetylcholine Nature
Section 3B = 19 GABA Nature
Section 4B = 8 Serotonin Nature

Apart from the tiredness and sleepiness and the motivation and fogginess, I do not feel the need to eat. I dont get hungry. I eat because I know I need 2000kcals+ to remain healthy. I dont care about the taste/texture/cost of the food as long as it macro nutrient healthy, and easy to obtain...

Any opinions? Any help would be necessary. I will be willing to take on any lifestyle change, any diets, any supplements. I am starting to hate life.

Thanks

Edited by mckal, 25 November 2008 - 12:20 PM.

#2 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

See a doctor.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Are you getting enough exercise?

#4 blaman

• Topic Starter
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

Are you getting enough exercise?

I go to the gym to do a 45 minute weight training session focusing on core body exercises, 3 times a week. I also walk briskly for about an hour a day on most days, and do dancing for 2-3h a week.

I supplement myself with 60g of whey protein on days I do weight training, and with 30g on days I dont.

#5 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

It most likely some variety of infection, please see a doctor. After your visit, we might be able to provide further advice and suggestions.

#6 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:58 AM

On the other hand, it may be a form of depression. What you're talking about reminds me of myself during different periods of my life--periods of increased sleep, decreased drive, etc. The only way I've found to kick it is to change up my routine, entirely, and find new and interesting things to focus my mind and energy upon. Something to kick-start my drive.

I'll leave at that, because I don't want to start diagnosing depression and offering treatment options, etc, but if you go to a doctor and find nothing physically wrong, you may want to try something different, life-style-wise. And variation, spice, is one of the best ways to do it. Also examining sources of stress, boredom, etc and dealing with them may be helpful too.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

This is making me depressed.

Or, as suspire suggested, being depressed is making you like this. It sounds very much like depression. Other causes should be ruled out, so you should probably see a doctor. Were there any triggering events, or did this all come on totally out of the blue? I'm thinking more along the lines of psychological stressors than anything else, but symptoms of infection would be another thing worth noting.

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:27 AM

get checked for mono

#9 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:00 AM

Have you been checked for diabetes? I felt sleepy all the time too, but then I cut out simple carbs.

#10 blaman

• Topic Starter
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Have you been checked for diabetes? I felt sleepy all the time too, but then I cut out simple carbs.

I am going to the doctors for a general health check which includes something to do with a urine sample. I will see how that goes and update here. Thanks for the help - I am trying to alter my lifestyle by improving general routines as I feel that might be the main problem...

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

This is making me depressed.

Or, as suspire suggested, being depressed is making you like this. It sounds very much like depression. Other causes should be ruled out, so you should probably see a doctor. Were there any triggering events, or did this all come on totally out of the blue? I'm thinking more along the lines of psychological stressors than anything else, but symptoms of infection would be another thing worth noting.

this may be very likely based on what you've described.

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:25 PM

I am going to the doctors for a general health check which includes something to do with a urine sample. I will see how that goes and update here. Thanks for the help - I am trying to alter my lifestyle by improving general routines as I feel that might be the main problem...

make sure he checks you for mono. insist on it... the symptoms you're describing are typical of mono, and you're at the age where its very common.

Edited by ajnast4r, 26 November 2008 - 07:26 PM.

#13 blaman

• Topic Starter
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:59 PM

make sure he checks you for mono. insist on it... the symptoms you're describing are typical of mono, and you're at the age where its very common.

What is mono?

#14 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

An infection caused by the Epstein-Barr Virus, common among young people, spread easily by "making out", known informally as the kissing disease.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 26 November 2008 - 10:11 PM.

#15 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

Have you considered the possibility you're hypothyroid ?

#16 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:07 AM

An infection caused by the Epstein-Barr Virus, common among young people, spread easily by "making out", known informally as the kissing disease.

That's funny. I got it way before I made out with anyone.
Probably from a pool.

#17 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:19 AM

What is mono?

http://en.wikipedia....s_mononucleosis
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Epstein-barr

That's funny. I got it way before I made out with anyone.
Probably from a pool.

you can get it from any contact with saliva or urine... a kiss on the cheek, sharing a drink, a sneeze.

if you've tested positive for EBV in the past its worthwhile to have a monospot done every time you have a physical, if you feel lasting fatigue or anytime you are sick enough to need bloodwork done.

Edited by ajnast4r, 27 November 2008 - 03:21 AM.

#18 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

mono, air-born , sounds bad and contagious

how bad could mono get? need treatment or does it go away on its own , like common cold ? once you get it and recover , will u be immune?

#19 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

It does not need treatment and eventually "goes away" on its own. You will never actually be rid of the virus, it will be present in your body along with many other infections you've accumulated until you die. When the immune system is functioning well, the Epstein-Barr virus remains suppressed in a dormant state. The possibility for reactivation in the future will always exist.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 05 December 2008 - 07:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

What I do is take 5 hour energy. It does the trick magnifiscently. I then experiment with things I find recomended around here when I get the money. Like a B vitamin complex. Thats been working great too. Next I want to try out some amino acids, modanafil and any of the other various things mentioned around here. It think cocamine, or something like that was another one I had in mind.

Oh and, but it only works for me when I avoid caffeine, Ive cut back on it 99%. Also avoid processed sugar garbage or the 5 hour energy wont work. I know a lot of people say dont even eat a lot of fruits, but Ive switched to eating a ton of fruits, and vegetables, and it seems to be doing a lot better than the processed garbage. Its to the point now where I can eat a couple of ho hos and notice a big negative difference through out the rest of the day.

Edited by brokenportal, 05 December 2008 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users