- - - - -

I'm a supplement beginner. Need some advice on Vit D

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marqueemoon

• 78 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi All,

I don't get much sun exposure because I wear sunscreen daily and avoid exposure when possible (to protect my skin from photoaging). I also live in a Northern climate where there isn't much sun yearly.

I am concerned that this may lead to a Vitamin D deficiency and would like to supplement but have no clue where to start. I read through one of the Vit D threads on here but was lost in the terminology. I did pick up that gel caps are generally more effective.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to order Vit D supplements online and which is the most effective? Also, how much would be best for me to start with daily. I'm 25, Caucasian, f, 115 lbs.

Also, how do I get tested and do most insurances cover testing? If not what's the typical price range?

Thanks!

#2 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:18 AM

I usually order the Jarrow d3 products from www.bulknutrition.com. There may be some better products out there, but not many. It's high quality and at the end of the day should sort out your concerns about your d levels.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:25 AM

I would recommend 2000 IU/day in a gelcap formulation. The one my family uses is from NOW, and is 1000 IU. The 2000 IU tablet here is more economical (D is cheap so it's not a big deal) but I take 3000 IU on alternate days so 1000's are easy. At any rate I use NOW from iherb.com. Any major brand of d3 (not D2, but it's getting pretty rare) would be fine as long as it's a gelcap formulation.

Your doctor should be able to order a Vitamin D level. They usually measure the form called 25-hydroxy vitamin D. Normal good levels are considered to be 30-55 ng/ml; I would shoot for the high side. The tests are not very expensive and would normally be covered by insurance.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

You can ask your doctor for the D tests during a physical, along with other blood work. You can get lipids and a CBC thrown in too, probably.

And dose by blood levels, so try to get your tests before supplementing. It seems there is a wide requirement range -- some may need 1000IU daily, others need 5000IU daily. Only way to know for certain is via blood testing.

And it's been suggested that dry D capsules don't work so well, so get one with oils (gels or drops). I've just started using Carlson D-drops myself. I'll know next blood test how they work.

Edited by nameless, 30 November 2008 - 06:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users