* * * * * 2 votes

Piracetam and Other Supplement Storage

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 solracselbor

• 98 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Hey guys,

So, like many of you, I purchase Piracetam from Relentless Improvement in pill form. I have been using the same bottle for about 1 month and a half. Two days ago I had finally finished my first bottle, and I noticed that 3/5 of the way through the first bottle the effect of the Piracetam started to dwindle. I thought that maybe I had been developing a tolerance, but after my first dose of the freshly opened new bottle the piracetam was as potent as it was when I had began taking it with the first bottle. This has lead me to belive that maybe the continous opening and closing of the bottle increased oxidation in the piracetam, therfore reducing the potency. Furthermore, I noticed shortness of breath a lot during the last 40 pills or so, I do not know whether this was the new fish oil I started taking at around the same time, or the piracetam or maybe something comlpetely unrelated. However, with the new bottle, I no loger have this shortness of breath. Also, there was no discoloration of my pills as one other person on this fourm has noticed with his/her bulk supply of piracetam.

My question is this: Would storing your supplements (i.e Piracetam, Fish Oil, Choline, Vitamin E) in the refridgerator stablize the efficacy and/or potency of the supplement? I also live in Long Beach, California, which is next to the beach (go figure). This makes the environment somwhat humid and there is lots of moisture in the air. When I have peantus or crackers in my room after a certain period of time they begin to get soft (not stale) due to the high amounts of moisture and humidity in the air. Similar to some of my snacks, could this also be affecting my supplements?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I have noticed that my Jarrow CDP Choline bottle has inside it a small pack that says "Moisture Absorbent". There is no such pack in my Piracetam bottle for RI. Is there something I can buy that absorbs moisture and oxygen in order to keep my supps fresh? Or with refrigerating them be just as effective?

#2 solracselbor

• Topic Starter
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:50 AM

Any advice?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Any advice?

anyone???

#4 solracselbor

• Topic Starter
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Any advice?

anyone???

161 views 0 responses. Someone please advise so that others interested may find some guidance.

#5 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

Any advice?

anyone???

161 views 0 responses. Someone please advise so that others interested may find some guidance.

Bueller?...Bueller?...

Ferris?

Haha 161 views! Don't remember ever seeing any of my excellent topics get that many hits.

A quick google search, dude...

Posted ImageFebruary 14, 1981
CONSUMER SATURDAY; STORING VITAMINS, FROM A TO K
So vitamins are on sale this week. Is it worth it to buy a three year supply? Or will the vitamins go bad? How will you know if they do go bad? Is there any danger in consuming vitamins after they've lost their potency? What's the best way to store them?

If the label doesn't have special instructions, the general rules for storing vitamins are to keep them cool and dry, away from light, in airtight containers and out of the reach of children.

Stored properly, vitamins are usually stable for four or five years, according to Glen M. Shue, a chemist/ nutritionist for the Food and Drug Administration, but he added: ''We had a bottle of vitamin D on the shelf in the lab for 10 years. We're air-conditioned so the temperature stays cool here and when we tested it, it was still good. So it's hard to tell.

''It also depends on the kind of packaging the vitamin comes in,'' Mr. Shue said. ''Pressed tablets, like most aspirin tablets, tend to be more porous and therefore more subject to oxidation. Sugar-coated or capsulated products are pretty well sealed and tend to last longer than pressed tablets under the same conditions.''

Contrary to popular belief, the refrigerator is not an ideal place for vitamins that are taken regularly. ''Say for instance you had a large bottle of pressed tablets, and you kept them in the refrigerator, if you kept opening and closing the lid all the time, then you would get condensation in the bottle and the vitamins wouldn't last nearly as long,'' Mr. Shue said.

Where to Store Them

Mr. Shue does, however, recomend the refrigerator for long-term storage. ''If a person is using a mail order discount service and buying 1,000 vitamins at a time, what they should do is take out a three-months' supply, close the lid tightly and put it in the refrigerator. Then when they want more, they should let the storage container warm up to room temperature before taking out more tablets.''

The heat and humidity in the bathroom make it a poor place for storing vitamins and kitchens are not good places either, said Dr. Richard P. Penna, a spokesman for the American Pharmaceutical Association. ''There is usually a lot of moisture and vaporized fats in the kitchen that tend to collect on the tablets or capsules. What most people choose is a linen closet.''

If there is no expiration date on a product, Dr. Penna recomends putting the date of purchase on the bottle. ''At least that gives you a reference point,'' he said.

Dr. Steven Strauss, author of a pharmacy handbook for consumers, ''Your Prescription and You,'' advises that vitamins should be kept in their original containers. ''If an individual gets a vitamin in an amber-colored glass bottle with a screw top and transfers the pills or capsules into a clear plastic container with a snap-on lid the product could be affected and deteriorate faster,'' he said.

Eating old vitamins is not dangerous. Over time vitamins simply lose potency. But without chemical analysis it is difficult to tell if a vitamin has lost strength. ''Generally speaking if there's any change in the color, in the physical appearance, the taste or the smell of the product, it is possible that the product isn't good any more,'' said Dr. Strauss. ''But it's also still possible that the chemical composition of the product has not been changed.'' Expiration Dates

The F.D.A. does not require that vitamins be labeled with expiration dates and storage instructions. But many manufacturers do it anyway. Actually it's to their advantage; if the vitamin has an expiration date, the manufacturer is responsible for the product's integrity only up to that date. Without one, the manufacturer is responsible for as long as the product is for sale.

Miles Laboratories, which makes Chocks, Flintstones and One-A-Day, puts expiration dates on all its products. The label also advises that the vitamins should be kept at room temperature and away from children. The expiration date is three years from the day the tablets were manufactured. But Doloris C. Cogan, a spokesman for the company, said that the product if kept dry and tighly capped was probably good for another year.

Expiration dates and directions to keep the product at room temperature are also on the labels of all Upjohn vitamins. Upjohn makes Unicap and nine other vitamin products. Expiration dates vary from two to four years from the date of manufacture. ''Our best advice to consumers is to follow directions and live with the expiration dates,'' said Susan Ford O'Brien, a spokesman.

The are two basic kinds of vitamins, water-soluble ones (C, Bcomplex), which must be replenished frequently, and fat-soluble ones (A,D,E,K), which are stored in the body. Excessive amounts of A, D, and K can be harmful and vitamins, like all drugs, should be kept away from children.

Edited by Rags847, 09 December 2008 - 12:55 AM.

#6 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

Posted Image

Shelf life of supplements

Dietary supplements are comprised of a wide range of different kinds of materials, and therefore display a broad range of sensitivity to temperature and light. Thus, some supplements tend to deteriorate or lose their potency faster than others and may need special storage conditions.

Should dietary supplements be kept in the dark or in the refrigerator to lengthen their shelf life?

Generally speaking, all dietary supplements should be tightly sealed and protected from light. This is usually not a problem since most supplements are sold in opaque plastic or colored jars or bottles.

Minerals

Minerals should be stored in dry, room temperature or cool areas. These include both macrominerals (calcium, chloride, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, sulfur) and trace minerals (boron, cobalt, copper, chromium, iron, iodine, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, silicon, vanadium, zinc) -- including chelated mineral forms.

Vitamins, herbals, and amino acids

Vitamins, herbal remedies (botanicals) and amino acids should be stored in dry, cool areas.

Fatty acids and antioxidants

Fatty acids and antioxidants, including vitamin E and the carotenoids (beta-carotene, xanthins, luteins, etc.), should be stored in dry, cool areas and tightly sealed to protect them from air oxidation. Polyunsaturated oils are especially vulnerable to oxidative damage at room temperature. Thus, store all essential fatty acids in dark bottles in the refrigerator once they are opened.

Temperature-sensitive supplements

A few temperature-sensitive dietary supplements, such as SAMe (SAM-e, S-Adenosylmethionine, Sammy, Samie), should be tightly sealed and stored in the freezer.

Other supplements

With all this said and done, the shelf-life of most, if not all, dietary supplements is much longer than the usual period of normal consumption or use. In addition, reputable manufacturers and suppliers conduct aging and shelf-life research and put expiration dates on their labels.

Therefore, simply leaving the dietary supplement in its closed bottle in a closed cupboard for normal periods of use will not cause any loss of potency.

http://www.supplemen...shelf_life.html

#7 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

Freshness

Freshness is critical. Spoiled oils (vegetable or animal) will make you sick.

All animal and vegetable fats and oils are subject to oxidation. This is true for fish oil supplements.

In other words, they get spoiled (oxidize) after a certain period of time. They spoil much more quickly when they are exposed to air, water, or heat. Be sure to check the dating on the bottles of your fish oil supplements. And, store them in the refridgerator. Especially after you open the bottle.

http://www.prostate-...upplements.html

#8 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:07 AM

Pharmaceuticals - potency and storage
Expert: Catherine - 12/28/2005

Question
Is it advantageous or ill-advised to keep medications and/or vitamins and supplements in my refridgerator or even in the freezer, especially if I do not expect to use them all within the next 12 months? I do not refridgerate most of my meds as I generally use them up in 30-60 days. I was given some dilauded yesterday, however, for kidney stones and I will probably not use them all for quite a long time. Thank you.

Answer
Short answer: Your Dilaudid will most likely keep most of its potency for a few years if you keep it out of the sun, the bathroom, and don't expose it to extreme cold or heat by putting it in the fridge or the glovebox of your car, etc.

*Do not take tetracycline after its expiry date, it's one of the few drugs that turns toxic when it expires!* Aspirin merely smells bad, and is unlikely to cause any harm.

Detailed answer:
Most medications (pills, anyhow, liquids are different), unless otherwise specified, are typically meant to be stored between about 15 to 25 degrees C/60 to 80 degrees F - "controlled room temperature", since of course that's easiest way for both the pharmacy and you to keep them. Unless what you have says that it can or should be kept cold to maintain potency (more likely with vitamins/herbs/nutrional supplements that come in capsule form - flax seed oil and probiotics are good examples), keeping it in the fridge or freezer for long periods of time probably won't help much, if any (studies aren't generally done on this, as pharmacies go through drugs fast enough for it not to be a big issue), and because of the moisture, could cause the drug to degrade faster, depending on the drug.

A dry, dark place that's not exposed to extreme temperatures is best for storage - don't keep your pills in the bathroom! Some will break down when exposed to moisture before the manufacturer's expiry date! In a cupboard or drawer outside of the bathroom, under your bed, etc., are good places for meds you don't plan on using for a long time, though of course technically you should throw out what you're no longer using. Usually, pills that come in a vial without an expiry date on the label probably came from a bottle that has anywhere between about six months and two years before it expires and starts to lose potency, if it's something commonly prescribed. Your Dilaudid will most likely keep most of its potency for a few years if you keep it out of the sun, the bathroom, and don't expose it to extreme cold or heat. If you go to use it again five years from now and find it doesn't work, that may or may not mean the drug is no good - in that amount of time, your body chemistry can change a bit, and with that the way you react to some medications.

Beyond manufacturer's expiry dates, it's not an exact science, and nobody can *guarantee* a drug will still be safe, but if it's not a lifesaving drug (you don't want to risk, say, heart medications or antibiotics being less effective than they should be!), more often than not it'll still be safe to use for a while - most pain meds are.

Hope that helps, and I hope for your sake you don't need to use your Dilaudid for a long time!

http://en.allexperts...ncy-storage.htm

Edited by Rags847, 09 December 2008 - 01:08 AM.

#9 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

Combating Moisture and Humidity in Nutraceutical Packaging

</H2>Robert Crossno
08/20/2001
Posted Image

<H2>Combating Moisture and Humidity in Nutraceutical Packaging

by Robert Crossno

The dollars spent researching, engineering and marketing nutraceutical products are wasted if these products are damaged by moisture during warehousing or transport. Discoloration, odors, and product deterioration are just a few of the damaging consequences caused by moisture contamination. Therefore, a manufacturer needs to think about how to guard against moisture damage when designing and producing a product package.

Desiccants

Desiccants are one of the most popular and well-known devices for protecting against moisture damage. They are cost-effective tools that help maintain the integrity of products by keeping them safe from moisture throughout the frequently arduous course of shipping and storage. Desiccants are available in various configurations: packets, bags, canisters, tablets, tubes and desiccant stoppers.

Desiccants act to scavenge and adsorb any ambient moisture in the package, any moisture released by the product itself and any additional moisture caused by condensation. Desiccants can also be inserted into a product's cap or injected into the product container itself through a process called injection molding, which provides moisture protection while guarding against accidental ingestion by consumers. Desiccants used in manufacturing applications are typically one of three materials: silica gel, molecular sieve or activated clay.

Silica gel is a non-toxic, non-corrosive form of silicon dioxide synthesized from sodium silicate and sulfuric acid and processed into granular or beaded form. Its active, interconnected pores form a vast surface area that attracts and holds water through adsorption and capillary condensation, allowing it to adsorb up to 38 percent of its weight in water vapor. While silica gel works most effectively at room temperature and high humidity levels, its potency is somewhat diminished at lower humidity levels of 30 percent and below.

On the other hand, molecular sieve contains a uniform network of crystalline pores and empty adsorption cavities. A synthetic desiccant derived from sodium, potassium or calcium crystalline hydrated aluminosilicates, its pore size can be controlled in the manufacturing process, allowing for a large range of adsorptive capabilities in the finished product. Molecular sieve can reduce ambient humidity to nearly 0 percent below detectable levels, but it must be handled in a controlled low-humidity environment prior to insertion to prevent loss of capacity.

The third option is activated bentonite clay. This is a naturally occurring, non-hazardous and salt-free substance that is the least expensive and most widely used desiccant material. The layered structure of activated clay attracts and adsorbs moisture onto its surface and between its layers. Activated clay has essentially the same capacity as silica gel at humidity levels between 25 percent and 30 percent. However, unlike silica gel, activated clay is still effective at levels of 20 percent humidity and below and can adsorb up to 20 percent its weight in water.

Whether product or product packaging has hygroscopic (water absorbing) properties, manufacturers of nutraceutical products can benefit greatly from desiccants. The choice between silica gel, molecular sieve or activated clay is ultimately based upon the ambient temperature and relative humidity product and product containers will experience.

Choosing the Right Desiccant

In weighing the various choices of desiccant materials, it is important to consider the ambient environment within the package in relation to the desiccant's individual capabilities. The key parameters are initial humidity, amount of moisture in the packaged product, volume of product and volume of container, Moisture Vapor Transmission Rate (MVTR), length of storage time, activity curve of the desiccant and the maximum level of relative humidity (RH) permitted within the enclosed package. Humidity levels and temperature can fluctuate drastically during shipping, causing the desiccant materials to respond differently to these variables. Consequently, manufacturers should consider all variables when formulating comprehensive moisture-protection programs.

Once the appropriate desiccant has been chosen, it is important to consider other factors that will aid in creating a product package that is the least susceptible to moisture damage. For example, a barrier pack made of foil (usually aluminum) or plastic (typically polyethylene) can protect product from external elements by preventing moisture from entering into the package and compromising product integrity. Effervescent tablets and nutraceutical tablets, such as vitamins, are frequently packaged in foil or plastic. Polyethylene plastic cylinders injection molded with desiccant are the latest method of protecting effervescent tablets against moisture damage. Nutraceutical tablets packaged in plastic or glass bottles can also be protected by the inclusion of canisters or packets containing desiccant.

Protection in the form of activated clay in Tyvek® (a DuPont registered trademark) bags can save manufacturers millions of dollars in lost product and insurance expenses. Use of a simple psychometric chart can help calculate the number of adsorbent bags of activated clay needed under specific conditions.

Also known as a refrigeration chart, a psychometric chart displays readings for wet and dry bulb, relative humidity, temperatures and pressures. Once the temperature and humidity inside the container are known, these calculations enable the shipper to utilize a precise number of moisture-adsorbing bags.

In any product shipment, the inclusion of a humidity indicator card can allow for fast, hands-off, visual inspection of the package when it arrives at its final destination. When enclosed in a package, a humidity indicator card detects humidity levels caused by defective or improper packaging or other unintended exposure that otherwise might go unnoticed during shipping. The end user is alerted to the level of RH (relative humidity) in the package when the card shows pink to reflect damage or blue to reflect an uncompromised product. In the longrun, the card helps prevent corrupted product from damaging the manufacturer's reputation.

No matter which moisture inhibitor method is used, desiccants protect against moisture damage to the product and product packaging, and are non-toxic as well as environmentally friendly.

Nutraceutical manufacturers should keep in mind certain criteria when selecting a desiccant supplier. The supplier should:
  • Offer a complete line of moisture-adsorbing products and humidity indicators;
  • Provide knowledge about packaging and humidity requirements
  • Supply custom-design capabilities;
  • Present innovative, new products;
  • Work with individual package design and shipping parameters to develop the most effective protective system.
Robert Crossno is the national sales manager for Belen, N.M.-based Süd-Chemie Performance Packaging. For more information on packaging options, visit www.s-cpp.com.

http://www.naturalpr...181pacfoc2.html

http://en.wikipedia....Further_reading

#10 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Dehumidifier 40 Gram, Desiccant

This Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Dehumidifier 40 Gram Desiccant protects 3 cubic feet of enclosed space. Top grade silica gel is contained within a compact aluminum canister that measures only 4" x 2" x ½". Provides lifetime protection for gun, camera and telescope cases, tool boxes, silver drawers, and more. It has a built-in indicator that turns from blue to pink to signal the need for reactivation. Easy to reactivate in any oven.

All Hydrosorbent silica gel is manufactured to the highest specifications. Inert, non-toxic, and safe to use, our silica gel remains dry to the touch even when saturated. And once saturated can be easily reactivated in any conventional oven for lifetime protection.

Family photos, documents, guns, optical equipment, electronics, jewelry, medicines, pharmaceutics, food, seeds, bulbs, horse tack, leather, batteries, camera, telescope, video equipment, coin and stamp collections and other collectibles, computers, tools, and other treasured items can all be destroyed by condensation and moisture in the air. Most moisture damage to stored valuables and supplies is caused by humidity trapped in a storage area which turns into almost imperceptible condensation that causes irreparable damage.

Silica gel has been the desiccant (drying agent) of choice by government and industry since WWII. By surface adsorption, silica gel drinks up excess humidity from the air. It prevents condensation within enclosed areas which cause irreparable damage: rust, corrosion, tarnish, oxidation, mildew, fungus, mold, odor, spoilage, spotting, toning, stains on stamps & documents, fogging of lenses, deterioration of seeds, bulbs, foods, and medicines.

Used within enclosed storage areas, silica gel "drinks up" moisture to create a protective shield of dry air. "It's like a miniature dehumidifier working night and day." Yet, needs no electricity. Hydrosorbent 40,200,450,750, & 900 gram units come with built in indicators which turn from blue to pink when the silica gel is saturated with adsorbed moisture. Once saturated, our silica gel can be easily reactivated in any conventional oven and re-used for lifetime protection.

Hydrosorbent Dehumidifiers come in five different sizes to protect storage areas from just three cubic feet all the way up to 66 cubic feet of enclosed space. Top grade silica gel is contained within a container that can be reused indefinitely. It reactivates easily in any conventional oven, so it can be used for a lifetime of moisture protection.

FAQ

Use & Reactivation Instruction

Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Dehumidifier 40 Gram, Desiccant Hyd-SG-40Posted ImageReg. price: $5.95Posted ImageCamping Sale price: $5.45

http://www.campingsu...sigelde40g.html

#11 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

How To Store Supplements
With added amino acids, antioxidants, enzymes and herbs, it might seem like dietary supplements could easily replace food as your source of nutrients. But this isn't the case. Whole foods — such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains — provide a complex combination of vitamins, minerals, fiber and other substances that promote health.

Though vitamin and mineral supplements can't copy all of the nutrients and benefits of whole foods, they can complement your diet. If you have trouble getting enough nutrients, you may benefit from taking a vitamin or mineral supplement. To use supplements safely, weigh your nutritional needs, scrutinize the merits of taking a supplement, and understand how to choose and use dietary supplements.

Store you supplements improperly and they'll break down and loose their potency.

Here's how to keep those sports supplements fully charged:

• Leave them in the bottles they cam in. Most of them are opaque and keep the light out which degrades their contents by causing minute chemical reactions.
  • Store the jars or bottles in a dark, dry place - not your bathroom cabinent. You see, after light, heat is the primary force for triggering chemical breakdowns. Keeping your supplements in the heat will produce you own little Chernobyl.
  • Don't throw out the small white packets that come in the bottles. Ever wonder what it's for? They're desiccants, and they absorb the moisture that would otherwise attack your pills and reduce their effectiveness.
  • A few supplements need special care: Fish oil and probiotics break down at room temperature and need to be stored in the refrigerator. SAMe should be kept titghtly capped in your freezer.
  • Keep an eye on expiration dates. Most supplements become much less effective the older they get.

With all this said and done, the shelf-life of most, if not all, dietary supplements is much longer than the usual period of normal consumption or use. In addition, reputable manufacturers and suppliers conduct aging and shelf-life research and put expiration dates on their labels.

Therefore, simply leaving the dietary supplement in its closed bottle in a closed cupboard for normal periods of use will not cause any loss of potency.

Drew Voight

http://www.4-men.org...upplements.html

window.google_render_ad();

#12 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:02 AM

I also live in Long Beach, California, which is next to the beach (go figure). This makes the environment somwhat humid and there is lots of moisture in the air. When I have peantus or crackers in my room after a certain period of time they begin to get soft (not stale) due to the high amounts of moisture and humidity in the air. Similar to some of my snacks, could this also be affecting my supplements?

I had some RI Piracetam that I had atop a refidgerator for a year (unfinished bottle), not expired but had a bad reaction (stomach upset, acid). Tossed them, bought new. No problems.

You should take extra care living near the beach (lucky bastard, I'm freezing in Boston - no skin cancer, though!).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 solracselbor

• Topic Starter
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

I also live in Long Beach, California, which is next to the beach (go figure). This makes the environment somwhat humid and there is lots of moisture in the air. When I have peantus or crackers in my room after a certain period of time they begin to get soft (not stale) due to the high amounts of moisture and humidity in the air. Similar to some of my snacks, could this also be affecting my supplements?

I had some RI Piracetam that I had atop a refidgerator for a year (unfinished bottle), not expired but had a bad reaction (stomach upset, acid). Tossed them, bought new. No problems.

You should take extra care living near the beach (lucky bastard, I'm freezing in Boston - no skin cancer, though!).

Hahaha! Thanks a lot rags your info really helped!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users