• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Zinclear-IM: any one know anything about this transparent form of ZnO?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 remlon

• 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

I just bought a sunscreen whose only active was Zinc Oxide in the form of Zinclear-IM. I checked on the web, and apparently Zinclear-IM is manufactured by a company called Antaria. Using something called Indexing Matching Technology (hence the IM, whatever the hell index matching technology means is beyond me) they've been able to make a virtually transparent form of micronized zinc oxide with a mean particle size of over 1 micron (which =1000nm). That's pretty exiciting, seeing as most micronized/nano zinc oxide forms are micronized down to 100nm and below, which jeopardises their UVA protecting ability. So Zinclear seems ideal: at 1000nm you'd probably get amazing protection, and certainly looking at the transmittance graphs, Zinclear provides 0% transimittance to about 370nm, at 400Nm there's only like 20% transmittance.

Anyone want to comment?

#2 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

I just bought a sunscreen whose only active was Zinc Oxide in the form of Zinclear-IM. I checked on the web, and apparently Zinclear-IM is manufactured by a company called Antaria. Using something called Indexing Matching Technology (hence the IM, whatever the hell index matching technology means is beyond me) they've been able to make a virtually transparent form of micronized zinc oxide with a mean particle size of over 1 micron (which =1000nm). That's pretty exiciting, seeing as most micronized/nano zinc oxide forms are micronized down to 100nm and below, which jeopardises their UVA protecting ability. So Zinclear seems ideal: at 1000nm you'd probably get amazing protection, and certainly looking at the transmittance graphs, Zinclear provides 0% transimittance to about 370nm, at 400Nm there's only like 20% transmittance.

Anyone want to comment?

It is hard to believe that it is possible to make an invisible shield of ZnO without compromising its UVA I protection.

Otherwise a thought about nano-technology:
"Nano particle technology. Little is know about the safety issues surrounding this veru sci-fi advance in technology"

http://www.safecosme...n...=5&Itemid=6

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users