* * * * * 1 votes

Selegeline & Setraline

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:49 AM

Someone I know who is on Zoloft wants to try Selegiline as well, for motivation and the general life-extending effects. But I am a little weary of this combination because they are contra-indicated. But, would there be anything to worry about as long as he stays below a dose of 10mg of selegiline? Right now I take 2.5mg of selegiline w/ 10mg of Celexa, which I just lowered from 20. I've been feeling fine. But the dose of Celexa is low, as a standard dose is 40mg. This person is on a standard dose of Zoloft, 100mg. Is this a bad idea, or alright as long as the dose of selegiline is low enough? Have any of you comined Selegiline w/ an SSRI? Experiences?

#2 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:28 AM

I work with a bunch of psychiatrists who mix and match all kinds of medications with all kinds of patients with very serious psychiatric conditions.

They would never mix an MAOI and an SSRI.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

I took 40mg of Prozac with roughly 1mg of deprenyl a day for quite a long time with no problems.

This type of question has been asked many times the general consensus is that at low doses Deprenyl only affects MAO B. The official information says that anything lower than 10 mg oral only affects MAO B. Personally I wouldn't go over 5 mg oral a day. If you want the life extension effects of deprenyl the dosages are extremely low .5 - 1 mg per day and if you factor in the fact that Rat mao b replenishes in about a week where as Human mao b takes 40 days then the doses are even lower

#4 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

Someone I know who is on Zoloft wants to try Selegiline as well, for motivation and the general life-extending effects. But I am a little weary of this combination because they are contra-indicated. But, would there be anything to worry about as long as he stays below a dose of 10mg of selegiline? Right now I take 2.5mg of selegiline w/ 10mg of Celexa, which I just lowered from 20. I've been feeling fine. But the dose of Celexa is low, as a standard dose is 40mg. This person is on a standard dose of Zoloft, 100mg. Is this a bad idea, or alright as long as the dose of selegiline is low enough? Have any of you comined Selegiline w/ an SSRI? Experiences?

I have. 5mg selegiline with 150mg effexor. No problems. No problems with BPAP thrown into the mix either, and that one does mess with seratonin, albeit not on the destructive side of things.

#5 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

Any other experiences?

#6 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

I have taken 5mg of selegiline for a while and have taken a few things its not meant to be taken with such as ginko, SAM-E and 5htp. Nothing weird about those combinations. Being a pharmaceutical, I don't take it at the same time with any other herbs or supplements (except general vitamin/mineral)

If taking an MAO-A inhibitor I would take the warnings much more seriously.

And given the way in which MAO and SSRI's work, I would never ever mix the 2. Thats asking for trouble!!

#7 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

I took citalopram and 5mg selegiline for a while.

If you're worried, pick up some cyproheptadine, its an antidote for serotonin syndrome.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:28 AM

At any dose, SSRI's + Selegiline is a bad idea, IMO. Yes, Selegiline is selective for MAO-B at low dosages, but there is some individual variation in substrate levels and a "spill over" effect to inhibition of MAO-A is quite possible when MAO-B is inhibited to a strong degree (especially over the course of repeated, low dose exposure, given that Selegiline is an irreversible inhibitor).

Regardless of the type of MAO that is being inhibited, MAOIs and SSRIs, as classes of drugs, should not be combined in most any instance (especially if self-medicating).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users