• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How to handle retail product discussions?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

... but in a heavily biased board, anyone who leans towards fair and balanced, is accused of the opposite bias.

Crep, is anyone accusing you of bias? You keep accusing ImmInst of being "heavily biased", so we're aware of the accusations flowing in that direction, but I'm not seeing anyone accusing you of bias. As an aside, the use of the term "fair and balanced" by Fox News as a description of their propaganda has given it a bad connotation. The phrase may be sending a different message than you're intending.

#32 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

... but in a heavily biased board, anyone who leans towards fair and balanced, is accused of the opposite bias.

Crep, is anyone accusing you of bias? You keep accusing ImmInst of being "heavily biased", so we're aware of the accusations flowing in that direction, but I'm not seeing anyone accusing you of bias. As an aside, the use of the term "fair and balanced" by Fox News as a description of their propaganda has given it a bad connotation. The phrase may be sending a different message than you're intending.

"What you see is the way that you see".

The only thing we can do is change a few things on the forum. According my experience, discussions about these kind of elementary views is almost useless. Basic politics has a lot in common with religion. :)

Are there any additional thoughts on the proposal? If an integrated vendor forum is to far fetched, then we could at least go forward with mind's proposal and work that out a bit? E.g. who will be responsible for the vendor forum moderation? In single-vendor forums I guess it's the imminst team that should be responsible.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

Some people are contrarians. I've always thought of crepe as such.

#34 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Remember xanadu? He was the ultimate contrarian. I think crepulance shows potential but still has a long way to go to fill those shoes. He'll need to expand out from resveratrol and start questioning everything if he wants real contrarian street cred. :)

#35 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

One thing I'll give Sardi credit for, Longevinex was the first RSV product I could find in 2004, and I the first I took within a month of it coming out (back then it had about 15mg). I immediately got my parents taking it back then, too -- the evidence was quite compelling for it even back then, and the downside (other than cost) appeared to be near zero, since wine had safely been around for 1000's of years. Sardi also cares about quality, otherwise, as the first RSV supp, he wouldn't have gone to the extra expense (and delay of market release) of the Licaps (before it was shown that T-RSV has pretty darn good stability).

Edited by DukeNukem, 24 December 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#36 Crepulance

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

Hey Niner, not on this thread, but in the past I've heard it when I stated that I liked the results I was feeling from Longevinex.

Crep

#37 Crepulance

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:52 AM

Am only trying to bring to light the other side of the story in a seemingly one sided board. In the end, I will wind up taking the product I deem fits my needs best. As of now, I have not decided so I don't believe contrarian would fit accurately to describe my stance here. If I was headstrong on taking Longevinex regardless of what was said here, then the term would apply.

Crep

Some people are contrarians. I've always thought of crepe as such.

#38 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Please note that any speculation as to the mental states of different resveratrol suppliers is the opinion of individual posters and not the official position of the Immortality Institute.

Personally, I have spoken with Sardi in the past and he seems like a genuine businessman and is passionate about his product and its quality.

#39 Crepulance

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:35 AM

Hey Niner, yes, Anthony...the ceo of a resveratrol company, imagine that! is one of the few who consistently calls me biased with zero reasoning.

Crep

#40 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

I would suggest if moderation is in order, to limit it to folks that don't call people names or take sides, or even provide false information (either by ignorance, or on purpose).

Not because people get their feelings hurt, but if there should be a legal issue of slander and the like... a name, false accusation or the like coming directly from a company, well it is much easier to correct and deal with legally (should it be necessary), than through a proxy.

Crep I believe, appears to be a proxy. But then again, he might not be.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 28 December 2008 - 03:34 PM.

#41 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

Here at the Institute we have tried to keep the forums focused on the science and not the individual retail products, because discussions about different products/companies invariably devolve into hissy fits and flame wars. We have had our share.

Lately, I have not been able to monitor this as much as I like. More and more retail product discussions are showing up and this is not a good thing (by the way, Anthony has been around for a long time and for most of that time has been very cooperative with not mentioning his company name and following the admittedly somewhat nebulous rules).

What we need is a different set-up that will make it easier for the Navigators to keep the science first and the retail flame wars in the background. One of our former sponsors suggested having a forum area (not on the active topics list) where advertising sponsors could answer questions/concerns about their products and interact with the Imminst community. All other discussions that did not revolve around the science of supplements or longevity treatments would be deleted.

Navigators/concerned members, please comment (again...I know this topic has come up before).

There is in place a wonderful solution, the Freedom of Speech Forum. Why don't we fix and restore it.

#42 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

That is an interesting solution William...just shuttle retail flame wars into Free Speech. Will have to think about that one.

#43 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

That is an interesting solution William...just shuttle retail flame wars into Free Speech. Will have to think about that one.

You will have to fix and restore the forum first. Which should be done at any rate.

#44 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

All these kinds of talks about nootropics and such, given answers by sponsors, advertising etc, are indeed problematic since we, as in, IMMINST do not represent it and we are not supposed to be a marketing board either.
BUT, it is necessary in a certain extent. Apparently many immortalists are into these stuff and find this forum the best place for these things. I think that any advice given should be taken as Ltd. and I'd suggest a research fo each saying.
Moreover, many members found ImmInst by searching these keywords, that has to do with Nootropix and so.
I do think there should be a separate forum for such talks, with special rules. Obviously, ImmInst will not take responsibility for damage occuring to anyone by advices given there, and it should be clear to all that ImmInst is not a marketing surface and definitelly not the seller. There is a difference between advicing and selling, even if sometimes it's hard to tell.

-Inf.

Edited by Infernity, 03 January 2009 - 05:53 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#45 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

All these kinds of talks about nootropics and such, given answers by sponsors, advertising etc, are indeed problematic since we, as in, IMMINST do not represent it and we are not supposed to be a marketing board either.
BUT, it is necessary in a certain extent. Apparently many immortalists are into these stuff and find this forum the best place for these things. I think that any advice given should be taken as Ltd. and I'd suggest a research fo each saying.
Moreover, many members found ImmInst by serching these keywords, that has to do with Nootropix and so.
I do think there should be a separate forum for such talks, with special rules. Obviously, ImmInst will not take responsibility for damage occuring to anyone by advices given there, and it should be clear to all that ImmInst is not a marketing surface and definitelly not the seller. There is a difference between advice and selling, even if sometimes it's hard to tell.

-Inf.

Thanks for posting that; as a new person here it helps me understand your board "norms".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users