• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: How much melatonin do you take?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Melatonin Amount and Frequency (147 member(s) have cast votes)

How much melatonin do you take?

1. Less than 500mcg daily (18 votes [12.08%])

Percentage of vote: 12.08%

2. Less than 500mcg a few times per week (3 votes [2.01%])

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

3. Less than 500mcg a few times per month (5 votes [3.36%])

Percentage of vote: 3.36%

4. About 500mcg daily (8 votes [5.37%])

Percentage of vote: 5.37%

5. About 500mcg a few times per week (6 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

6. About 500mcg a few times per month (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. About 1mg daily (26 votes [17.45%])

Percentage of vote: 17.45%

8. About 1mg a few times per week (7 votes [4.70%])

Percentage of vote: 4.70%

9. About 1mg a few times per month (5 votes [3.36%])

10. About 2mg daily (5 votes [3.36%])

11. About 2mg a few times per week (2 votes [1.34%])

Percentage of vote: 1.34%

12. About 2mg a few times per month (3 votes [2.01%])

13. About 3mg daily (35 votes [23.49%])

Percentage of vote: 23.49%

14. About 3mg a few times per week (14 votes [9.40%])

Percentage of vote: 9.40%

15. About 3mg a few times daily (12 votes [8.05%])

Percentage of vote: 8.05%

How much melatonin do you take? (Cont.)

1. -I already voted above- (107 votes [71.81%])

Percentage of vote: 71.81%

2. More than 3mg daily (2 votes [1.34%])

3. More than 3mg a few times per week (2 votes [1.34%])

4. More than 3mg a few times per month (2 votes [1.34%])

5. 5mg or more daily (11 votes [7.38%])

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

6. 5mg or more a few times per week (1 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

7. 5mg or more a few times per month (1 votes [0.67%])

8. My dosage amount varies but on average I take less than 500mcg per dose (3 votes [2.01%])

9. My dosage amount varies but on average I take about 1mg per dose (6 votes [4.03%])

10. My dosage amount varies but on average I take about 2mg per dose (2 votes [1.34%])

11. My dosage amount varies but on average I take about 3mg per dose (2 votes [1.34%])

12. My dosage amount varies but on average I take more than 3mg per dose (0 votes [0.00%])

13. My dosage amount varies but on average I take 5mg or more per dose (0 votes [0.00%])

14. There is no usual amount to my dose (1 votes [0.67%])

15. I don't take melatonin (9 votes [6.04%])

Percentage of vote: 6.04%

Do you think it has helped you?

1. Yes (102 votes [68.46%])

Percentage of vote: 68.46%

2. No (6 votes [4.03%])

3. Not sure (41 votes [27.52%])

Percentage of vote: 27.52%

Do you take it to improve the quality of your sleep or for other reasons?

1. Sleep quality (65 votes [43.62%])

Percentage of vote: 43.62%

2. Other reasons (14 votes [9.40%])

Percentage of vote: 9.40%

3. Both (70 votes [46.98%])

Percentage of vote: 46.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

please DO NOT TAKE MELATONIN in the morning..... melatoning increases light receptors photosensitivity,
increasing chances of retinal damage!!!!! and melatonin hinders memory consolidation, so once again,
please dont take it in the morning!!!!

So did you take melatonin in the morning?

#32 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

1mg sustained release. Seems to kick in about 30 minutes later and I have no noticeable hangover in the morning nor do I wake up in the middle of the night like I did when I was taking 5mg standard release.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'm going to give 750mcg a go, it just seem's too low a dose to be effective but I thought the same about 1.5mg at first and found that much better than 3mg. I do notice a very slight morning after effect from 1.5mg than from nothing at all, so hoping cutting this down even lower may be even better.

Does anybody know a decent brand that you can snap easily into halves or quarters? I have the Now chewable at the moment and it's difficult to snap with out crumbling it completely.

It's such a good supplement for sleep for the cost. Falling asleep used to be a major issue for me but has not been for years now since i've been taking it.

#34 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

I'm leery of melatonin because it constricts blood vessels.

Edited by nancyd, 14 April 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#35 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

Stopped taking it based on some concerns about down regulating male hormones and proper prostate function
No sleep problems anyway.

#36 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

I take 3 miligrams every night, and sometimes more.

I was taking more to try to get to sleep hours earlier at night, but I found that taking 9 to 15 miligrams only got me to sleep faster the first couple of times I took that much, but that the next few days of using 9 to 15 would then not be effective. I thought I was becoming immune. So I moved back to 3 miligrams every night to be safe, and for some reason that seems to be more effective consistently.

Let me try to illustrate this. On a scale of 1 to 10, if 3 miligrams was having an effect of 6 out of 10 for getting me to sleep, 9 to 15 miligrams would have an effect of 9 out of 10, and then drop to about 3 out of 10 in the following nights. Switching back to 3 miligrams seems to keep a consistent 6 out of 10.

Any dose generally makes me feel great the next day. Less irratable, theres no inability to focus, more energetic, just generally happier and ready to go.

Also, Im not sure if this is just a placebo effect or not, but somebody told me that it interacts better in the presence of calcium, and it does seem its even easier to get to sleep when I drink milk after taking it. Some may say your supposed to drink milk to help you sleep anyways, but drinking milk alone doesnt seem to have the same effect.

#37 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

I find 300mcg or 750mcg as a time release works well for me, but I take 750mcg time release and 1mg sublingual to ensure I get the body temperature lowering effects as well. I only slightly feel it in the morning but it fades quickly.

Edited by cnorwood, 17 June 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#38 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

I'm holding steady at 300 micrograms 30 minutes prior to bedtime which usually works very well. 3-4 times per month I'll add 50 mg of HTP if the melatonin isn't doing the trick.

I take the Life Extension brand - 300 mcg melatonin caps.

Edited by pycnogenol, 16 April 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#39 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

I'm going to give 750mcg a go, it just seem's too low a dose to be effective but I thought the same about 1.5mg at first and found that much better than 3mg. I do notice a very slight morning after effect from 1.5mg than from nothing at all, so hoping cutting this down even lower may be even better.

Does anybody know a decent brand that you can snap easily into halves or quarters? I have the Now chewable at the moment and it's difficult to snap with out crumbling it completely.

Hi Imagination,

I use a TR Melatonin by NutriCology that is 1.2mg per tab.  They are easily split in half or quartered, although I do use a pill splitter. Perhaps 600 mcg (what I take most nights) would be as effective as 750.

Best, Mia 

(Edit to delete the cryptic message my cat added to the end of my post. Perhaps it was something about the silliness of humans needing something for sleep...)

Edited by Mia K., 16 April 2010 - 07:31 PM.

#40 xontek

• 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:52 AM

I tried a bottle of 3 mg pills to try to improve sleep quality. I'm a firm believer of quality over quantity. Melatonin didn't work for me.

By the way, this doctor thinks melatonin is bad for you, Daniel F. Kripke, M.D.*. He explains it in his book, Dark Side of Pills which is free online (http://www.darksideo...epingpills.com/)

#41 SATANICAT

• 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

Melatonin is great. But, one thing I do notice is that if somebody wakes me up about 40min into sleep I'm incredibly disoriented and occasionally talk in my sleep. And, I also wake up in the middle of the night occasionally. I take 1.5mg single dose.

#42 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

I tried a bottle of 3 mg pills to try to improve sleep quality. I'm a firm believer of quality over quantity. Melatonin didn't work for me.

By the way, this doctor thinks melatonin is bad for you, Daniel F. Kripke, M.D.*. He explains it in his book, Dark Side of Pills which is free online (http://www.darksideo...epingpills.com/)

I didn't see specifically where he said it's bad for you. He did note very little research about the possible benefit of melatonin has been done and is inconclusive.

Edited by tintinet, 25 April 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#43 Nerarenai

• 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

I must say, this post intrigued me enough to join and post, I'd like to know more.

Although when I do take Melatonin, or l-tryptophan (I found this forum when seaching on a suppliment I just bought today, Life Extension TryptoPure), it's to get me down for sleep . It's been almost decades since I've had real trypto and I remember how well and simple it worked for me. The only thing with no hangover.

I remember that whatever dosage they used to sell it in 15 years ago, probably 5mg or more, wiped me out the next day on a few occasions, and, it never compared with my favorite, trypto, but it was pulled from the market.

So far tonight it hasn't worked, so I did someting I haven't done in a long time, inspired by this forum - took 2 x 1mg GNC melatonin. I often have trouble getting to sleep, and always have trouble getting up, so am always looking for anything to improve sleep quality and to get me to sleep.

I use a calcium / magnesium suppliment which seems to work sometimes.

Tomorrow's a day off so I can afford to be a little groggy, the reason I don't really take melatonin since years ago, but often wonder if i need to experiment with it a little more.

Since then I'd tried 5HTP trypto but it just wasn't the same, and I felt it may have made me moody in some strange way, so I didn't take it for long.

But although my primary focus is on sleep, I am intrigued about the wake/sleep barrier and the netherworld there which I have to admit, though sometimes terrifying, is often exciting and interesting and I'm drawn to it.

This is the first I've heard of IR melatonin, not sure about it.

I've been taking melatonin for delayed sleep phase syndrome for 2 years now, and for entertainment reason also. It makes every night a real adventure. If you have ever taken any tryptamines, the similarity is uncanny.

I don't get as sleepy with the onset, the dreams are less colorful and waking up in the middle of the night is still a problem, but with timed release I can't fall back immediately to sleep for some reason and the sleep doesn't feel as good as IR melatonin. When I finish this bottle, I'll probably go back to regular melatonin.

For that extra punch, take some vitamin b6 or b-complex along with it, taurine and magnesium, and this is probably as close as you can get to legally tripping inside your dreams.

I discontinue it once in a while though because all that dreaming every night does wear you down, and you just want a deep dreamless sleep.

Melatonin is right up there with the few supplements with noticeable effects.

#44 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

I think tryptophan has a big advantage in that
Melatonin, DMT, pinolene and maybe others are made from this.
So your body can make what it needs and control the output.

http://www.antidepre...pinealstory.htm

Alpha lactalbumin might be even better than taking pure tryptophan:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15883425

I must say, this post intrigued me enough to join and post, I'd like to know more.

Although when I do take Melatonin, or l-tryptophan (I found this forum when seaching on a suppliment I just bought today, Life Extension TryptoPure), it's to get me down for sleep . It's been almost decades since I've had real trypto and I remember how well and simple it worked for me. The only thing with no hangover.

I remember that whatever dosage they used to sell it in 15 years ago, probably 5mg or more, wiped me out the next day on a few occasions, and, it never compared with my favorite, trypto, but it was pulled from the market.

So far tonight it hasn't worked, so I did someting I haven't done in a long time, inspired by this forum - took 2 x 1mg GNC melatonin. I often have trouble getting to sleep, and always have trouble getting up, so am always looking for anything to improve sleep quality and to get me to sleep.

I use a calcium / magnesium suppliment which seems to work sometimes.

Tomorrow's a day off so I can afford to be a little groggy, the reason I don't really take melatonin since years ago, but often wonder if i need to experiment with it a little more.

Since then I'd tried 5HTP trypto but it just wasn't the same, and I felt it may have made me moody in some strange way, so I didn't take it for long.

But although my primary focus is on sleep, I am intrigued about the wake/sleep barrier and the netherworld there which I have to admit, though sometimes terrifying, is often exciting and interesting and I'm drawn to it.

This is the first I've heard of IR melatonin, not sure about it.

I've been taking melatonin for delayed sleep phase syndrome for 2 years now, and for entertainment reason also. It makes every night a real adventure. If you have ever taken any tryptamines, the similarity is uncanny.

I don't get as sleepy with the onset, the dreams are less colorful and waking up in the middle of the night is still a problem, but with timed release I can't fall back immediately to sleep for some reason and the sleep doesn't feel as good as IR melatonin. When I finish this bottle, I'll probably go back to regular melatonin.

For that extra punch, take some vitamin b6 or b-complex along with it, taurine and magnesium, and this is probably as close as you can get to legally tripping inside your dreams.

I discontinue it once in a while though because all that dreaming every night does wear you down, and you just want a deep dreamless sleep.

Melatonin is right up there with the few supplements with noticeable effects.

Edited by zorba990, 30 April 2010 - 06:02 PM.

#45 garlicknots

• Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:24 AM

If you chose "Other reasons" for the last answer, please explain.

Made this while sleep deprived so please forgive any mistakes.

Edit: Fixed the poll.

I take 15-21 mg/night at 115 lbs.

Other reasons?...possibly/probably effective against brain tumors.

f/Re

#46 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

How long have you been taking this amount of melatonin nightly and do you experience any side effects?

Edited by chrono, 09 October 2010 - 10:10 PM.
fixed quote

#47 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

I took melatonin only for dream experiences. I think I took sometime 15 mg a night and had no noticeable side effects like lactation, or any other BS related to that.

Don't take it now though. Doing fine since....

#48 garlicknots

• Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

How long have you been taking this amount of melatonin nightly and do you experience any side effects?

Since October '09. I built up from 3mg/nightly which I had been taking on/off for a few years.

I do not notice any sides that I can definitively link to melatonin use. I have stopped taking the time release melatonin (might be more effective against BTs as a single shot) so, on occasion, I will wake up say at 4 am and find it quite difficult to fall asleep again but that is to be expected.

In the BT groups, there were studies cited that melatonin was safe upto 60mg/night/person.

Cheers,

f/R

edit: At lower doses (3mg) and in the past I used to get "interesting" dreams and loved them. That does not happen anymore.

Edited by chrono, 09 October 2010 - 10:33 PM.
fixed quote

#49 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

It's such a good supplement for sleep for the cost. Falling asleep used to be a major issue for me but has not been for years now since i've been taking it.

I read online that as little as 0.1mg has shown an effect. I assume some people are in the bandwagon that if a little is good than a mega dose is better? That appears to be why some Doctors are criticizing the substance? They claim that people are taking too much, and it's also been banned in Canada (people became addicted) and in some European countries.

Anyway, I was reading in the mayo clinic website that melatonin should not be taken with blood thinning drugs, so does anyone know if the same applies for blood thinning supplements such as fish oil, Vit. E, dark chocolate, etc?

#50 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I read online that as little as 0.1mg has shown an effect. I assume some people are in the bandwagon that if a little is good than a mega dose is better? That appears to be why some Doctors are criticizing the substance?
They claim that people are taking too much, and it's also been banned in Canada (people became addicted) and in some European countries.

A mere 300 micrograms nighty almost always makes me sleepy; sometimes I step up to 600 micrograms but not too often. I can't imagine anyone 'addicted' to melatonin - its not an opioid. But, hey, one never knows I suppose.

#51 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

What is better..

standard melatonin .... or timed release melatonin??

I am thinking of switching from timed release to standard... On the theory that this could eliminate grogginess that I normally experience the folowing day.

Thoughts melatoniners?

#52 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

What is better..

I am thinking of switching from timed release to standard... On the theory that this could eliminate grogginess that I normally experience the folowing day.

Thoughts melatoniners?

The immediate-release form of melatonin works best for me over the sustained-release melatonin.

I take 750 micrograms of melatonin 30-45 minutes prior to bedtime + 50 milligrams of 5-HTP.

I get no grogginess from this combo.

Edited by pycnogenol, 19 November 2010 - 11:45 PM.

#53 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

What is better..

Thoughts melatoniners?

The immediate-release form of melatonin works best for me over the sustained-release melatonin.

I take 750 micrograms of melatonin 30-45 minutes prior to bedtime + 50 milligrams of 5-HTP.

I get no grogginess from this combo.

nice thanks lol

#54 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Somebody mentioned dreams.. Yeah 'weird' is a word for them. Last night I had a dream that I was a gangster but we were based in the countryside. I mugged off some guy called 'Sonny Anderson' and I was bricking it because all my colleagues were warning me that you don't mess with this guy. I was fearing he was going to shoot me in the head but when he finally caught up with me he said 'don't worry about, get on with your business'... My journies through the countryside were detailed and clear. I remember certain locations as I rambled through

This was more f***** up than words can describe. Strange how it can be so detailed and lifelike!

Going to take melatonin again tonight... Wonder what will happen this time lol

Edited by Thorsten, 21 November 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#55 tommix

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

I read online that as little as 0.1mg has shown an effect. I assume some people are in the bandwagon that if a little is good than a mega dose is better? That appears to be why some Doctors are criticizing the substance?
They claim that people are taking too much, and it's also been banned in Canada (people became addicted) and in some European countries.

A mere 300 micrograms nighty almost always makes me sleepy; sometimes I step up to 600 micrograms but not too often. I can't imagine anyone 'addicted' to melatonin - its not an opioid. But, hey, one never knows I suppose.

Believe me, people these days are not just stupid, but lazy too. And i think placebo effect have big impact, even they'll get placebo - i think most people will think they sleep better so they'll need it and will be thinking that they can't without it.
And USA or UK, even Canada - they'll get addicted to EVERYTHING who is related to any psychological condition.

And as i remember melatonin is hormone, and if body gets hormones externally -it will start to produce it less, or stop producing at all.
So people who consumes hi amount of it - will have need it more and more. So i thinks it's the best what everyone can do - is do the on/off cycles in case if it's true that eventually brain will produce it less and less.

Edited by tommix, 01 December 2010 - 03:08 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#56 Guest_Eidnoga_*

• Lurker

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:26 AM

I take approx .6 mg per night to aid in falling asleep. Lately I've been sleeping an awfully long time every night (10+ hours), and even then I have to force myself to wake up. I don't feel sleepy during the day after this, though. Am I taking too much (for me)? The past few nights, I've also noticed quite a bit of anxiety during my sleep/dreams. I'd say the dreams straddle the border between "bad dream" and "nightmare," but certainly aren't night terrors or anything. One very odd thing I've noticed about these dreams is that they're very realistic. I mean "realistic" in the sense that the source of stress or anxiety in the dreams is never something impossible (like a monster); it's always a "real life" situation, and sometimes a rather mundane (albeit anxiety-inducing) one. Anyone else experience anything like this? Is this also from taking too much?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users