Photo
- - - - -

Bilberries vs. Blueberries

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:43 AM

I've just bought from my local store a very cheap Swiss Bilberry 25 mg fruit extract + 75 mg leaves extract and after the fact started to worry about the leaves. Why did they put them in there in such a high amount? I did some quick research on the web and found the interesting 2008 study below. I'll count the bilberry leaves as source of proanthocyanidins - a good enough cheap substitute for the much more expensive pycnogenol.
I'm intrigued about the hydroxycinnamic acid though - will do some more research and I'll be back.

Posted Imagedoi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.01.057
Organ-specific distribution of phenolic compounds in bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) and 'northblue' blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum x V. angustifolium)

Kaisu Riihinen Laura Jaakola Sirpa Kärenlampi and Anja Hohtola

Available online 5 February 2008.
Abstract

Blueberries and bilberries are recognized as some of the best sources of flavonoids, especially anthocyanins. The contents of flavonoids (anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, flavonols) and hydroxycinnamic acids in the flower, fruit skin and pulp, leaf and rhizome of bilberry and the blueberry cultivar 'Northblue' were analyzed using high-performance liquid chromatography combined with diode-array detection. The most striking difference in the fruits was the predominance of hydroxycinnamic acids in blueberry, whereas in bilberry the anthocyanin content was much higher, particularly in the pulp. Differences in flavonoid contents of fruits were already apparent at the flower stage. Bilberry and blueberry leaves both contained high amounts of proanthocyanidins, flavonols and hydroxycinnamic acids. Blueberry rhizomes accumulated high amounts of hydroxycinnamic acids. All plant parts of bilberry and blueberry are potential sources of phenolic compounds for use either as dietary botanicals or by the pharmaceutical industry.

#2 NDM

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

Wow - on top of being an antioxidant, hydroxycinnamic acid is widely used in topical applications for skin brightening...the same effect should also result, I hope, from oral ingestion.

This effect might partly explain the comments by that guy in the skin care forum who noticed markedly improved skin quality from a combo of blueberries, cocoa, and pomegranate.

The study/poster below found that hydroxycinnamic acid is not phototoxic.

http://www.njbiomate..... exposure.pdf

EDIT: the most known hydroxycinnamic acid is ferulic acid...a component in the Juvess cream...

Bioconversions of Ferulic Acid, an Hydroxycinnamic Acid (2006 Critical Reviews in Microbiology)
Ferulic acid is the most abundant hydroxycinnamic acid in the plant world and is ester linked to arabinose, in various plant polysaccharides such as arabinoxylans and pectins. It is a precursor to vanillin, one of the most important aromatic flavor compound used in foods, beverages, pharmaceuticals, and perfumes. This article presents an overview of the various biocatalytic routes, focusing on the relevant biotransformations of ferulic acid using plant sources, microorganisms, and enzymes.

Edited by NDM, 24 December 2008 - 01:18 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 NDM

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:38 AM

A study in Japanese from 2006 is particularly enlightening about the distinct potential of bilberry leaves.

It looks like -via its GAD upregulation mechanism - bilberry leaf extract:

- increases GABA levels (good for mood)
- increases hyaluronic acid production (good for skin)
- increases glutathione levels (good for everything)
- stimulates skin cell growth
- inhibits collagenase
- inhibits elastase
- decreases melanin content (i suppose this explains skin brightening)
- has anti-histaminic activity (maybe because its chemical comp. includes some quercetin)

In short, if until now bilberry was seen as a quite narrow-spectrum supplement (taken mainly for eye protection), it may be the time to reconsider its potential (for skin, brain; also read about lipid and glucose regulation, arthritis, etc)

Fragr J(2006) > Anti-aging effects of bilberry extract through up-regulation of GABA-synthesizing enzyme (GAD) in dermal fibroblasts.

Accession number;06A0649560

Glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) catalyzes the synthesis of gamma-aminobutyric acid, an inhibitory neurotransmitter, from glutamate. An expression of GAD protein has been reported from brain and pancreas, but not from skin. In this study, we presented evidence that GAD67 is expressed in human dermal fibroblasts and involved in the oxidative stress tolerance, production of hyaluronic acid and dermal modeling. Furthermore, we showed that Bilberry leaf extract enhanced GAD67 expression in dermal fibroblasts, resulting in the stimulation of cell growth, hyaluronic acid and glutathione synthesis. In addition, the extract showed inhibitory activity of collagenase, elastase, decrease of melanin content in B16 melanoma cells and suppression of histamine release from mast cells. These data indicate that Bilberry leaf extract is a promising natural ingredient against aging skin

#4 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

Hi NDM,

I think you are referring to me from the skin care forum post about the dramatic effects on my skin following supplementation with LEF's blueberry pomegranata cocoa combo product.

I can't exactly remember when I posted it, but it was many months ago, and to this day, I still get those benefits, and I have tested it at least 7 times, going off the supplement for 2 weeks, and then resuming, and really the DAY I use it again, the skin benefits return. Given the science it is possible, and as you have stated about billberries, that would presumably happen from blueberries too. That said, I have used LEF's billberry supplement too, and noticed it was very strong, it has 25% anthocyanosides calculated as anthocyanidins, which is much higher than the blueberry. What I noticed is that I got a headache from ingestion of 2 capsules.

But yeah, I'm a fan of all berries, I get the benefits from lef's berry complete too, so they do seem to have constituents in common causing this effect on me. I do hope it happens for others too. I have already had 3 people contact me saying it did. Obviously I want to stay away from anything marketing, so by all means, try any brand, or even try getting the results by eating instead of supplementing.

#5 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

I'm using blackberries in my daily smoothie. Research I've read seems to put it just about in the same league as blueberries and cheaper to boot.

#6 NDM

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hi NDM,

I think you are referring to me from the skin care forum post about the dramatic effects on my skin following supplementation with LEF's blueberry pomegranata cocoa combo product.

I can't exactly remember when I posted it, but it was many months ago, and to this day, I still get those benefits, and I have tested it at least 7 times, going off the supplement for 2 weeks, and then resuming, and really the DAY I use it again, the skin benefits return. Given the science it is possible, and as you have stated about billberries, that would presumably happen from blueberries too. That said, I have used LEF's billberry supplement too, and noticed it was very strong, it has 25% anthocyanosides calculated as anthocyanidins, which is much higher than the blueberry. What I noticed is that I got a headache from ingestion of 2 capsules.

But yeah, I'm a fan of all berries, I get the benefits from lef's berry complete too, so they do seem to have constituents in common causing this effect on me. I do hope it happens for others too. I have already had 3 people contact me saying it did. Obviously I want to stay away from anything marketing, so by all means, try any brand, or even try getting the results by eating instead of supplementing.

piet3r - apologies for forgetting your name; Good to know about the headache from 200 mg/day. I checked th Lef product and it's 100% berry extract whereas the one I've got has 25 mg berry extract (standardised at 25% a.) and 75 mg bilberry leaf. So I hope I won't get any headaches (I anyway take only 1 capsule/day).

I don't take blueberry extract because I eat frozen wild blueberries several times/week. I'm waiting for my order of Lysine - when it arrives I'll go back to eating chocolate (85% cocoa) (I don't dare until then because it's high in arginine and just had a herpes outbreak a couple of weeks ago from not being careful about the arginine-to-lysine ratio in my food). Pomegranate I don't eat because it's too much work - I take 1 capsule of P extract AOR/day instead.

mustardseed41 - I haven't ruled out all the possible confounds, but the last two times I ate blackberries I felt rather depressed. Will try again at some point to get clear about what's going on.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hey NDM,

Good to hear about your diet. Indeed the lysine is good to boost in your case. About the pomegranate, from what I've read you want a pomegranate extract to be standardized to punicalagins and not ellagic acid. Last time I checked AOR was ellagic acid. If u want benefits of ellagic acid, why don't you eat some strawberries?

Well good luck with the berries :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users