Photo
- - - - -

OrthoClone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 waldemar

• 206 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with either AOR or Customcapsule, except that I am a customer of both companies.

Everyone here knows OrthoCore, and most of you will agree that it's a great multivitamin. I'm also sure that every OrthoCore customer will notice one or two things in the ingredient list that he doesn't like, or where he would want a different dosage. Also everyone notices one or two things that are missing to make OrthoCore "just perfect" for him. Last, but not least, a lower price is always nice, if the quality stays the same.

To address this issues I've tried building an OrthoCore clone using the capsule builder at http://www.customcapsule.com. The result was pretty good. There were very few substances that Customcapsule didn't have, and I ended up with a cheaper alternative without sacrificing much.

Capsule Name: OrthoClone
Pills Per Serving: 5
Total Pills: 300
Ingredients %DV
Green Tea Extract (50% Catechins) 130 MG N/A
Alpha Lipoic Acid 150 MG N/A
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10 Natural) 30 MG N/A
N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) 200 MG N/A
Pomegranate Fruit (40% Ellagitannins) 100 MG N/A
Lycopene 10 MG N/A
Thiamine HCl (Vitamin B1) 9 MG 900%
Niacin (Vitamin B3) 115 MG 575%
Vitamin A (Vitamin A acetate) 500 IU 10%
Pantothenic Acid (Calcium-D-Pantothenate) 100 MG 1,000%
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 647 MCG 10,783%
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) 100 MG 5,000%
Folic Acid 800 MCG 200%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 3 MG 300%
Biotin (Biotin) 300 MCG 100%
Magnesium (Magnesium aspartate) 210 MG 53%
Zinc (Zinc Aspartate) 11 MG 73%
Copper (Copper Chelate) 1 MG 50%
Resveratrol (From Polygonum cuspidatum) 2 MG N/A
Lutein 7 MG N/A
Quercetin (Quercetin Dihydrate) 76 MG N/A
Potassium (Potassium Ascorbate) 150 MG 4%
Beta Carotene (ProVitamin A) 6 MG N/A
Boron (Boron Gluconate) 1 MG N/A
Vitamin K (Phytonadione) 50 MCG 63%
Chromium (Chromium Polynicotinate 100 MCG 83%
Vanadium (Vanadyl Sulfate) 18 MCG N/A
Iodine (Potassium Iodide) 150 MCG 100%
Manganese (Manganese Sulfate) 2 MG 100%
Molybdenum (Molybdenum citrate) 45 MCG 60%
Selenium (Selenium Citrate) 55 MCG 79%
Phosphatidylcholine (Choline) 75 MG N/A

We got 300 pills per batch, 5 pills per serving, 60 servings per batch. Price is 40.52.
OrthoCore has 180 pills per batch, 6 pills per serving, 30 servings per batch. Price is 39.99.

The price is nearly exactly half of OrthoCore. With larger orders you can get it below 50% of OrthoCore.

A big advantage is that you only use 5 pills instead of 6, so you can fill up 1 pill with other stuff (at a slightly increased price) and end up with 6 pills.

Ok, there are some disadvantages. Customcapsule doesn't have some substances, so I had to use other forms for some substances like vitamin k, choline or chromium. E.g. I now have chromium polynicotinate instead of OrthoCore's chromium picolinate.
I also had to reduce the dosage for choline from 100 mg to 75 mg to fit the stuff into 5 capsules. Some stuff is rounded up or down to the mg, e.g. 2 mg resv instead of the funny 1.8 in OrthoCore.

I left out the following because Customcapsule doesn't have it:
Silicon (Na Metasilicate)
Strontium (Citrate)
Mixed Citrus Bioflavonoids (25%)
Sulforaphane (from Broccoli Sprout Extract)
Alpha-carotene
Tocotrienols
Chlorophyllin
Cryptoxanthin
Zeaxanthin
Astaxanthin

I think I'll increase the vitamin c and the green tea, add grape seed extract, decrease NAC from 200 to 80 and then switch to this baby! :-)

#2 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

That's a very nice idea. I wonder what the shipping costs to Europe would be.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

I wouldn't add green tea to any formulation with minerals -- the reason AOR leaves it out is because green tea binds with a percentage of minerals, in effect cancelling them out. Folic acid is at least 400mcg too high. Are you taking tocopherols separately?

#4 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

Nice find.

I hope they will offer more of the latest versions of supplements in the future. Calcium carbonate? Why not at least Caclium citrate? Ubiquinone? Why not ubiquinol? 50% resveratrol? and so on. Fortunately they have R-Lipoic Acid.

They need to upgrade their ingredients a bit . But otherwise a good site.

#5 waldemar

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

DukeNukem: I've added the same amount of green tea as in OrthoCore. Do you know what minerals it binds and how much? Folic acid... ok, I also think it should be reduced. I personally don't take any tocopherols (except from food).

100YearsToGo: I fully agree about the ingredients list. Two things I would really like to see on it are 99% Resveratrol and Meclofenoxate. Piracetam would also be nice.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

Where do they buy their bulk powders and do they have a COA for each product ? I have searched their site but couldn't find any except for some quality statements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users