- - - - -

Beginner's Regimen

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 yipe

• Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:02 AM

Okay, I'm an overweight 25yr old male. I've only recently become interested in longevity and supplements so here's the regimen I've come up with so far, please tell if I'm missing something vital or taking things that conflict or anything like that. Here's what I take, in no particular order.

Morning Dosage
==========
Vitamin C 500mg (time release, the regular upsets my stomach)
Citalopram 40mg (depression and social anxiety disorder)
Co Q-10 300mg
Ginseng 100mg
5-HTP 100mg
DHEA 50mg
B1 100mg
B2 100mg
B3 100mg
Folic Acid 400mcg
B6 100mg
B12 100mcg
Calcium 600mg
Vitamin D 400IU
Aspirin 81mg
Lecithin Concentrate 400mg
Gingko Biloba 120mg
Grape Seed Extract 50mg
Omega-3 300mg
Piracetem 1800mg

Afternoon
======
Vitamin C 500mg
Citalopram 20mg
Co Q-10 300mg
Ginseng 100mg
5-HTP 100mg
B1 100mg
B2 100mg
B3 100mg
Folic Acid 400mcg
B6 100mg
B12 100mcg
Lecithin Concentrate 400mg
Gingko Biloba 120mg
Grape Seed Extract 50mg
Omega-3 300mg
Piracetem 1800mg

Bedtime
=====
Melatonin 3mg
Dramamine or Benedryl (HUGE insomniac)

Thoughts, suggestions? Hold the flames please.

#2 sunfiregod

• 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:43 AM

Good to see sombody using gensing. Heres what your need:
-resveratrol: Copper chelator,Controls iron via heme oxygenase, calcium, via ostacalcin, Sensitizes vitamin D receptor.
-quercetin: Iron chelator
-Rice bran phytate(IP6)(if you like): Iron, Copper chelator. Anti-calcifying agent.
Get those without a shadow of a dout
-D3:anti-calcifying agent. Breaks down IP6 to IP3.

-AstraglosideIV(Astralfruit) or 15-30 grams of astragalous b4 bed or appart from resveratrol,green tea,curcumin, milk thistel. Panax ginsing will strengthen the dna repair of the astraglosides

-Dna/Rna oral spray to repair missing dna sequence.

and Tribulus terrestis + Saw palmetto for mens health and testo AND a strong multi vitamin/mineral

Edited by sunfiregod, 30 December 2008 - 04:44 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:27 AM

First and foremost yipe the best thing that you can do for your health, that will trump any supplement is to lose weight and to exercise. If your dropping the caloric content of your diet, which you will have to do to lose weight, a good multivitamin and increased protein in the diet will keep you nourished and maintain your lean muscle mass, respectively.

keep it simple for now and focus on the above if your not already.

Heres what your need:
-resveratrol: Copper chelator,Controls iron via heme oxygenase, calcium, via ostacalcin, Sensitizes vitamin D receptor.
-quercetin: Iron chelator
-Rice bran phytate(IP6)(if you like): Iron, Copper chelator. Anti-calcifying agent.
Get those without a shadow of a dout

I disagree.

Panax ginsing will strengthen the dna repair of the astraglosides

That's excellent news for the astralagus.

Dna/Rna oral spray to repair missing dna sequence.

Stop the match!

Posted Image

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:13 AM

You underestimate the ability of the body to correct imbalance of it's own accord. The first thing this poster stated was that he was overweight. The best thing that he can do for himself, especially to increase his health/lifespan, is to lose the weight.

You obviously do not understand the complexities involved here because you recommend trivial compounds that would have minimal, if any affect, especially with someone who is just starting out.

Sunfiregod, one things is for sure, I do have a beef with you. Not on personal level but rather with the way you attempt to dominate with your over powering and know it all tone, which explains why you have 2 warnings.

Yipe, deserves better. Therefore, I offered yipe, my educated advice.

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

I think the RDA for B6 is around 1.7 mg, with an upper limit of 100mg. Why take 200 mg/daily? You could be getting into neuropathy territory with those doses.

Too much folic acid. You should shoot for 200-400 mcg/daily, if you feel you need to supplement at all with it. Most people get plenty from their diet.

Any why so much CoQ10? 600mg/daily is a bit excessive, unless you have a heart, mitochondrial or neurological disease. It's probably better to split that into smaller doses up anyway, instead of 300mg twice daily. 100mg at a time may be better.

#6 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Okay, few things I guess I left out the first time. I forgot to mention the multivitamin I take in the morning dosage, it's just the equate brand "Complete". Second I have a history of heart disease on both sides of my family.

Repliers, last in, first out.
Nameless: All those B vitamins and the folic acid are in one pill for each dose period. I suppose the real reason I started super-dosing Vitamin C and B (which in turn led me eventually here) wqas because I was studying Philip K Dick's VALIS experiences, during which he was on a similar regimen. I suppose it should have rung a bell for me that he died of stroke a year or two later. Okay, halving the Bs. Is there a problem with Co Q-10? I'm new at this and majored in Philosophy in school, so I'm not really as up on the medical effects of these as I should be.

Zoolander: Oh of course I know I should exercise more, I've been trying to gradually raise the amount I exercise daily. Taking progressively longer walks, etc. I've been on and off exercise for years, early enthusiasm quickly turns to exhaustion which leads to missed workouts which leads to dropping the whole thing. I've done this cycle more times than I can count. Also I'm aware of Sunfiregod and his rapidly increasing notoriety, don't worry about me I'm tough.

Sunfiregod, most of what you said is way over my head, I'm a humanities major, take it easy on me with the mumbo jumbo!:)
Seriously though, I know I need resveratrol, the Grape Seed Extract I take says it contains it, but it makes no mention of how much! UGH! I'm looking around to find it locally, but money's tight. REAL tight.
What is this astralfruit people keep mentioning? I've heard the name but no one says what it's actually GOOD FOR.
I've seen DNA/RNA for sale but I worry, where is this DNA coming from? How does my body process DNA when taken orally? I'm way too huge of a science fiction fan to take oral (or sublingual) DNA without LOTS more research, I don't want to grow chicken feet!:p
My wife saw your mention of saw palmetto and immediately said she wanted me to start taking it, so I'll probably do that.

Phew, did I miss anyone?

#7 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

Zoolander: Oh of course I know I should exercise more, I've been trying to gradually raise the amount I exercise daily. Taking progressively longer walks, etc. I've been on and off exercise for years, early enthusiasm quickly turns to exhaustion which leads to missed workouts which leads to dropping the whole thing. I've done this cycle more times than I can count. Also I'm aware of Sunfiregod and his rapidly increasing notoriety, don't worry about me I'm tough.

yipe, you may have adrenal fatigue.
look into adrenal support like rhodiola, ashwagandha.
if you can spare the money get a hormone panel, and see if you have any issues.

#8 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

yipe, you may have adrenal fatigue.
look into adrenal support like rhodiola, ashwagandha.
if you can spare the money get a hormone panel, and see if you have any issues.

When I was first diagnosed with depression I was told I should have tests run on my thyroid but it was too expensive. Maybe I should look into it again.
Can you tell me more about adrenal fatigue, rhodiola and ashwagandha? Even just some good links will help.

#9 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

I went to the health food store today and picked up some Resveratrol (ouch, expensive!), vinpocetine, and Astralagus. How much of the resveratrol and astralagus am I supposed to take?

#10 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:21 AM

yipe, please disregard everything that sunfiregod has recommended. Sunfiregod is an unstable uneducated internet troll who doesn't know the first thing about dietary supplements. Note that he has been suspended indefinitely for his behaviour.

#11 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

yipe, please disregard everything that sunfiregod has recommended. Sunfiregod is an unstable uneducated internet troll who doesn't know the first thing about dietary supplements. Note that he has been suspended indefinitely for his behaviour.

So I got the wrong stuff? :(

#12 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:18 AM

That sucks, that stuff was expensive. Well, I wanted Resveratrol and Vinpocetine anyways but the astralfruit stuff was pricey.

Edited by yipe, 31 December 2008 - 02:19 AM.

#13 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

That sucks, that stuff was expensive. Well, I wanted Resveratrol and Vinpocetine anyways but the astralfruit stuff was pricey.

I hope they have a decent return policy.
Plus, You can probably get a better deal on resveratrol from revgenetics.

#14 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:00 AM

No dice, I already opened the stuff. I prefer to support locally owned businesses whenever I can. I don't know how you guys afford those megadoses of RSV, the stuff would send me straight to the poor house! *looks around* too late....

#15 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:19 AM

No dice, I already opened the stuff. I prefer to support locally owned businesses whenever I can. I don't know how you guys afford those megadoses of RSV, the stuff would send me straight to the poor house! *looks around* too late....

Well, I know both vitamin cottage & vitamin shoppe allow you to return opened stuff ...

I'm one of those few people who had a bad reaction (joint problems) to resveratrol, so I don't have to afford it. :)

#16 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:49 AM

Rwac is right. If you purchased the items at Vitamin Shoppe, they'll take them back, even opened. They have a really good return policy and will even exchange an item if you lost the receipt.

Regarding CoQ10, there probably is no harm in taking such a large dose, but you may be wasting your money. I see no reason for a 25 year old to require 600mg/daily, unless you currently have a disease it'd possibly help. As a dosage reference, I have cardiomyopathy, and I currently only take 300mg/daily. And I think Parkinson's people have used 600mg-1200mg/daily, with mixed results. The only real side effects from CoQ10 may be some minor stomach discomfort and insomnia, and a smaller bank account. But if you do wish to take such a large dose, an alternative would be to take a better absorbed form, at a lower dosage -- it may save you some money.

Diet and exercise are the best things you can do for your health. If you can, I also advise some general bloodwork, including thyroid (TSH, Free T3/T4, antibodies), adrenals, lipids (VAP test), glucose, and vitamin D levels.

I also suggest a better brand multi. There is no need to go overboard with supplements at your age, and you don't even have to take the full dose. AOR (Core or Multi-Basics) is generally considered a good one by most people here. You also don't necessarily have to take resveratrol, or expensive supplements. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a single human study on resveratrol that showed any benefits. The rodent studies were a bit iffy too. That is just my opinion, and I don't mean to say resveratrol won't have health benefits in people... just don't feel you have to take every supplement recommended or mentioned in these forums.

As for insomnia, maybe look into valerian, or some other supplements for sleep? I'm not sure how healthy it is to take Benedryl every evening. Taking a well absorbed form of magnesium before bedtime may help too.

#17 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

This is a part of the learning process that you must go through before you become a jedi night young anakin

#18 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

If only I had all the money back that I wasted on voodoo when I was a youngster (and I'll probably think the same in a few years about myself now). I used to take shark cartilage and royal jelly from GNC.

Seriously.

#19 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

It wasn't from a "Vitamin Shoppe" it's a small locally owned business. You know, they probably WOULD take them back, but I think I'm just going to eat the loss rather than put it back on them just because I took bad advice.

On related note, just because it came from someone that's disliked, does that really make his advice bad? Does that make this supplement (Astragalus) something I should just throw away? Not necessarily. Does anyone know what this stuff is for?

The point has been raised that I don't need to be taking every supplement under the sun, and it's a good one. Can anyone point out something specific I should be cutting out, with some sort of rationale as to why?

Co Q-10 has been brought up. The pills I take are 300mg each so I would have to cut back to one a day rather than take smaller doses morning and afternoon. What's the half-life of Co Q-10 in the human body? Will I still get whatever imagined benefits I'm getting from taking it twice daily (my skin is SO nice now:P)?

#20 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

The point has been raised that I don't need to be taking every supplement under the sun, and it's a good one. Can anyone point out something specific I should be cutting out, with some sort of rationale as to why?

Co Q-10 has been brought up. The pills I take are 300mg each so I would have to cut back to one a day rather than take smaller doses morning and afternoon. What's the half-life of Co Q-10 in the human body? Will I still get whatever imagined benefits I'm getting from taking it twice daily (my skin is SO nice now:P)?

I don't recall exactly, but I think CoQ10 peak is around 6 hrs, and half-life is about 30 hrs. For a person your age, I'm not sure you really need to supplement with it at all. But if you want to, 50mg-100mg daily might be a better dosage. There is no proof supplemental CoQ10 has any actual benefits in healthy people, especially young healthy people. You could take your 300mg once daily for now, and when you run out, try 100mg or less daily. Reducing your intake may help with your insomnia too.

As for the other things you take:

Why are you supplementing with calcium?

Why an aspirin daily, at your age?

And are you taking a B complex along with a multi, and if so, why? Most of the extra Bs will just be urinated out anyway.

For your insomnia, try some magnesium before bedtime. The albion chelates are considered good (glycinate), although I am partial to mag orotate myself.

I am somewhat conservative regarding supplements, so just take what I say here as my opinion. I'm hardly a supplement expert, so best you do your own research too.

Also, check out Duke's recent post on recommended supplements:
http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=26518

#21 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

I don't recall exactly, but I think CoQ10 peak is around 6 hrs, and half-life is about 30 hrs. For a person your age, I'm not sure you really need to supplement with it at all. But if you want to, 50mg-100mg daily might be a better dosage. There is no proof supplemental CoQ10 has any actual benefits in healthy people, especially young healthy people. You could take your 300mg once daily for now, and when you run out, try 100mg or less daily. Reducing your intake may help with your insomnia too.

My insomnia predates my taking any supplements by years. Actually I've had trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember. Even as a young child.

As for the other things you take:

Why are you supplementing with calcium?

My wife wants me to, she's worried about osteoporosis. I guess doing what my wife wants trumps immortality :)

Why an aspirin daily, at your age?

Fear, most of my ancestors died of heart attacks. I also was born with a heart murmur.

And are you taking a B complex along with a multi, and if so, why? Most of the extra Bs will just be urinated out anyway.

I've already lowered the amount of B I take since starting this thread.

For your insomnia, try some magnesium before bedtime. The albion chelates are considered good (glycinate), although I am partial to mag orotate myself.

When you say Albion, I think of England (and Blake), what are you talking about? As for the magnesium, what is the dosage? Are there risks in using it every night? Someone else recommended Valerian, what about that? How long does it take to kick in?

#22 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

Why are you supplementing with calcium? My wife wants me to, she's worried about osteoporosis. I guess doing what my wife wants trumps immortality :)

Getting your vitamin D levels decent (if low) + K2 probably will do more to combat osteroporosis than calcium would. But to be honest, I don't think you really need to worry about osteoporosis at 25 years old.

Why an aspirin daily, at your age? Fear, most of my ancestors died of heart attacks. I also was born with a heart murmur.

Get your lipids tested by asking your doctor for a VAP test, and also ask for c-reactive protein and homocysteine. I also recommend the other blood tests I mentioned in this thread too. If heart disease runs in your family, you want to find out why -- could be a lipid disorder, high Lp(a), low HDL, etc.

When you say Albion, I think of England (and Blake), what are you talking about? As for the magnesium, what is the dosage? Are there risks in using it every night? Someone else recommended Valerian, what about that? How long does it take to kick in?

I'm the one who mentioned Valerian, but I just meant that you could research it, if you were interested in supplements to help with sleep. I honestly don't know a ton about it, dosages, etc. as I've never taken it.

As for magnesium, Albion is just the name of the company that makes well absorbed mineral chelates. http://www.albionminerals.com/

You can find it in several brands, Carlson, Solgar, BlueBonnet, etc.

Here is one:

http://www.iherb.com...p...246393&at=0

And here are two with calcium, if you feel you need to supplement calcium:

http://www.iherb.com...p...002231&at=0
http://www.iherb.com...p...100214&at=0

Magnesium is safe, but if you take large doses it could have a laxative effect. This is probably more pronounced in mag citrate, as compared to glycinate. You should be able to take 200-400mg with no problems. You can take even more, but be prepared for the laxative effect if you take a really large dose at one time.

Edited by nameless, 31 December 2008 - 11:44 PM.

#23 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

Although I take a variety of quality supplements, nothing beats a good diet, a daily walking regimen (with a pedometer!) and a restful nights sleep. I'm a big fan of the low-tech approach.

As forum poster nameless stated: "Diet and exercise are the best things you can do for your health."

Edited by pycnogenol, 01 January 2009 - 12:19 AM.

#24 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

I don't recall exactly, but I think Why an aspirin daily, at your age?

Fear, most of my ancestors died of heart attacks. I also was born with a heart murmur.

That would be a second reason to take D3 + K2 (I personally prefer MK-4)
D3, and vitamin K2 both help with atherosclerosis.

If you must take calcium, do take atleast as much magnesium as calcium.
(Best would be to decrease the calcium)
Most people are short of magnesium. Splitting the magnesium over 2 or 3 doses,
that should help with GI issues, if any.

Edited by rwac, 01 January 2009 - 12:27 AM.

#25 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

okay, picked up some D3 today,

Why is everyone so upset at the calcium? If I halved it would that be better? No one has told me what's actually wrong with taking the calcium, but since everyone seems upset about it, I'll halve the amount.

#26 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

okay, picked up some D3 today,

Why is everyone so upset at the calcium? If I halved it would that be better? No one has told me what's actually wrong with taking the calcium, but since everyone seems upset about it, I'll halve the amount.

Calcium and Magnesium need to be balanced, plus you're taking calcium without a good reason.
Most people don't get enough Magnesium, so you might be hurting your Magnesium levels further ...

#27 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

The ratio of calcium to magnesium in the Paleolithic or "caveman" diet -- the ancient diet that evolved with our bodies was a 1:1 ratio compared with a 5:1 to 15:1 ratio in present-day diets.

- pycnogenol

Edited by pycnogenol, 01 January 2009 - 04:20 PM.

#28 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

There isn't necessarily anything bad about calcium supplementation, but as both mentioned above, it can throw off your mag/calcium balance. Excess calcium may also increase the chances of prostate cancer, but I don't recall the exact reason at the moment. I think it had to do with excess calcium lowering vitamin D, which led to the greater incidences of cancer. So... try not to go overboard on dairy if supplementing calcium too.

Here is some calcium info if you want to look it over:
http://lpi.oregonsta...nerals/calcium/

The above site is really good regarding all vitamins/minerals, by the way. A lot of good information listed.

As for D3, you really should dose that based off of bloodwork. Otherwise, you have no idea how much to take. You should probably aim for vitamin D levels in the 40-50ish range. Go for a gel or liquid form of D3 also, as it requires some fats for absorption.

Edited by nameless, 01 January 2009 - 05:37 PM.

#29 yipe

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

There's been a lot of talk about losing weight, so the question comes up, what does the immortalist diet look like? Are we talking Atkins, South Beach, Caveman, Mediterranean, Good ol' 4 food groups (pyramid, whatever)? Should I start a new thread in one of the other forums or is it okay to talk about diet here?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#30 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

There's been a lot of talk about losing weight, so the question comes up, what does the immortalist diet look like? Are we talking Atkins, South Beach, Caveman, Mediterranean, Good ol' 4 food groups (pyramid, whatever)? Should I start a new thread in one of the other forums or is it okay to talk about diet here?

It's your thread ... :)

I'm trying out a mild form of Duke's paleo diet.

You should look through these threads and ask questions, perhaps.

Being fat is easy
Duke's All-Star Supplements

or .. start your own thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users