Photo
- - - - -

Calcium supplements

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

I was wondering if Calcium supplements that contain magnesium are good? I read that magnesium competes with Calcium; would that affect the bodies ability to absorb calcium? I’ve found two supplements online one that contains Vit D3 and Calcium and another that contains D3, Calcium and Magnesium. However, I wanted to know if magnesium interferes with Calcium absorption before deciding which one to buy.

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

I just started reading the book "The Magnesium Miracle" in which the author states:

"...at the biochemical level, magnesium and calcium are known to act antagonistically toward each other..."

She recommends that magnesium be taken on an empty stomach approximately 1 hour prior to a meal for better absorption.

For what its worth, this is what I take (1 tablet daily) which I think is good, at least for my specific needs:

* Calcium (as calcium hydroxyapatite, citrate, aspartate, alpha-ketoglutarate & lysinate) 500 mg
* Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, citrate, taurinate, alpha-ketogluturate & aspartate) 250 mg
* Phosphorus (as calcium hydroxyapatite) 250 mg

http://www.iherb.com...s.aspx?pid=1759

Plus, I take a separate, high quality magnesium and vitamin D3 supplement.

Edited by pycnogenol, 31 December 2008 - 03:32 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

I just started reading the book "The Magnesium Miracle" in which the author states:

"...at the biochemical level, magnesium and calcium are known to act antagonistically toward each other..."

She recommends that magnesium be taken on an empty stomach approximately 1 hour prior to a meal for better absorption.

For what its worth, this is what I take (1 tablet daily) which I think is good, at least for my specific needs:

* Calcium (as calcium hydroxyapatite, citrate, aspartate, alpha-ketoglutarate & lysinate) 500 mg
* Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, citrate, taurinate, alpha-ketogluturate & aspartate) 250 mg

http://www.iherb.com...s.aspx?pid=1759

Plus, I take a separate, high quality magnesium and vitamin D3 supplement.

Thank you for the reply. I guess I'll buy a calcium + D3 supplement and magnesium from Source Naturals (133 mg); I get enough from my diet so that amount seems good.

#4 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Phosphorus as calcium? Seriously? :)

Anyway, I'm taking Mag orotate and Cal orotate (which also has Mag aspartate in it). It is said that the orotate form (which is also said to be superior to any other in many aspects) can be taken with meals, or that it might even be better, can't remember exactly. Anyway, orotate is extremely recommended, as well as combining multiple forms (some have slightly different activities in vivo).

#5 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

I asked the same question a few weeks back, here, and got the opposite response. Now I'm confused...

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 31 December 2008 - 10:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:47 AM

I asked the same question a few weeks back, here, and got the opposite response. Now I'm confused...

i believe what i said in the thread you link to be correct.. the OP should read it.

calcium/magnesium antagonism is not an issue when using (proper) chelates... this is only an issue when using inorganic mineral salts like calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide.

Edited by ajnast4r, 01 January 2009 - 02:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users