Photo
- - - - -

Dioxins in free-range eggs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

This topic was raised in another thread recently but not explored further there. I'm interested in this as I have been eating organic, free-range eggs. This study from the EU suggests dioxin is significantly higher in free-range eggs than eggs from caged hens, likely because of the hens' access to soil and insects. I don't know why this should be unique to the EU and it has me considering switching back to conventional eggs. I emailed the study to Organic Valley, the brand I have been using, and asked whether they test their eggs for dioxins. They responded that they do not. Thoughts?

#2 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

In the opinion of BfR there is no need at present to forego eating free-range eggs since in general they only account for a comparatively small proportion of man’s exposure to dioxins from food. Highly contaminated eggs are the exception. They should not be eaten. This recommendation also applies to people who keep their own hens.

Further information on this subject can be accessed on the BfR homepage under Foods/Food safety/Residues and Contaminants.

http://www.bfr.bund.de/cd/5967

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users