Photo
- - - - -

Basic question for Eva, The resident sunscreen expert

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

I will list all the ingredients after telling you my experience with this. Basically it is listed as an 'all natural, chemical free sunscreen'. When i apply it the contents dry out almost immediately before I have a chance to spread it around, which results in a smudged, cakey/grainy effect. In the back where it says 'uses' it merely says 'helps prevent sunburn'. Above this it basically states that it offers 'broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection. But how do I know I have applied it evenly if it is so dry? I am in need of using one of these because I began using a retinol product about a week ago which will increase my sensitivity. Any tips of either how to apply, with or without mousturizer, or to reduce the cakey, smudgey after effect would be helpful, or maybe if you could even offer a better product and/or tell me if smudging is normal I would greatly appreciate it. Here is a paste directly from the product website.

Note: what concerns me most about this product is that it seems to be marketed for summer time outdoors use mostly. I want something for out/in door use and that is designed for appearance as much as protection. This is just like putting cake batter on my face. It looks and feels weird.

Chemical-Free Sunscreen SPF 30
High protection from the sun's harmful rays, naturally.
How it Works
This 100% natural, non-whitening formula provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and helps keep skin hydrated without using chemical sunscreen actives like octinoxate and oxybenzone. Instead, titanium dioxide, a naturally-occurring mineral creates a micro-fine barrier on your skin to reflect the sun's harmful rays. Our natural sunscreen is effective immediately upon application and safe for kids.

How to Use It
Apply generously and evenly before sun exposure. Reapply as needed or after swimming, perspiring or towel drying. Use carefully. This product may discolor clothing.

Featured Ingredient
Titanium Dioxide — Occurring naturally as the mineral rutile, this substance is used chiefly as a white pigment and as an opacifier. It reflects light, so (when identified as such) can be considered a natural sun block.

Read more
Ingredients: Active ingredient: titanium dioxide (8.58%)
Inactive Ingredients: water, cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil, glycerin, stearic acid, fragrance, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, hydrated silica, sucrose distearate, calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract, crataegus oxyacanthus (hawthorn) stem extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, hydrastis canadensis (golden seal) extract, symphtum officinale (comfrey) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, alginic acid, acacia senegal gum, xanthan gum, beta carotene, sucrose stearate, lecithin, aluminium hydroxide, sodium borate, glucose, sodium chloride, canola oil, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase

http://www.burtsbees...s...1&langId=-1

Edited by TheFountain, 02 January 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#2 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

If it gets cakey it is because the formulation is not good enough. Too much oil and TiO2 (most likely they used not pre-dessolved TiO2) is not dissolved properly.
The amount of TiO2 is not high enough in my opinion to be able to give adequte protection (unless it is non-micro! then the appearance is very whitening, however to achieve SPF 30 with 8.58% active is only possible if the TiO2 is micronized. It'll also means that it does not have good enough UVA protection.
There is one more thing that I would not recommend this sunscreen because of the high content of oil and escential oil/fragrance. It can make the skin sensitive esp. in UV light.

I would rather go for Bioderma Photoderm Mineral SPF 50+ UVA 22 with TiO2 and ZnO for fuller UVA protection!

http://www.bioderma....istics/594.html

You can even order it online ;)

I will list all the ingredients after telling you my experience with this. Basically it is listed as an 'all natural, chemical free sunscreen'. When i apply it the contents dry out almost immediately before I have a chance to spread it around, which results in a smudged, cakey/grainy effect. In the back where it says 'uses' it merely says 'helps prevent sunburn'. Above this it basically states that it offers 'broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection. But how do I know I have applied it evenly if it is so dry? I am in need of using one of these because I began using a retinol product about a week ago which will increase my sensitivity. Any tips of either how to apply, with or without mousturizer, or to reduce the cakey, smudgey after effect would be helpful, or maybe if you could even offer a better product and/or tell me if smudging is normal I would greatly appreciate it. Here is a paste directly from the product website.

Note: what concerns me most about this product is that it seems to be marketed for summer time outdoors use mostly. I want something for out/in door use and that is designed for appearance as much as protection. This is just like putting cake batter on my face. It looks and feels weird.

How it Works
This 100% natural, non-whitening formula provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and helps keep skin hydrated without using chemical sunscreen actives like octinoxate and oxybenzone. Instead, titanium dioxide, a naturally-occurring mineral creates a micro-fine barrier on your skin to reflect the sun's harmful rays. Our natural sunscreen is effective immediately upon application and safe for kids.

How to Use It
Apply generously and evenly before sun exposure. Reapply as needed or after swimming, perspiring or towel drying. Use carefully. This product may discolor clothing.

Featured Ingredient
Titanium Dioxide — Occurring naturally as the mineral rutile, this substance is used chiefly as a white pigment and as an opacifier. It reflects light, so (when identified as such) can be considered a natural sun block.

Read more
Inactive Ingredients: water, cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil, glycerin, stearic acid, fragrance, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, hydrated silica, sucrose distearate, calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract, crataegus oxyacanthus (hawthorn) stem extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, hydrastis canadensis (golden seal) extract, symphtum officinale (comfrey) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, alginic acid, acacia senegal gum, xanthan gum, beta carotene, sucrose stearate, lecithin, aluminium hydroxide, sodium borate, glucose, sodium chloride, canola oil, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

If it gets cakey it is because the formulation is not good enough. Too much oil and TiO2 (most likely they used not pre-dessolved TiO2) is not dissolved properly.
The amount of TiO2 is not high enough in my opinion to be able to give adequte protection (unless it is non-micro! then the appearance is very whitening, however to achieve SPF 30 with 8.58% active is only possible if the TiO2 is micronized. It'll also means that it does not have good enough UVA protection.
There is one more thing that I would not recommend this sunscreen because of the high content of oil and escential oil/fragrance. It can make the skin sensitive esp. in UV light.

I would rather go for Bioderma Photoderm Mineral SPF 50+ UVA 22 with TiO2 and ZnO for fuller UVA protection!

http://www.bioderma....istics/594.html

You can even order it online ;)

How it Works

How to Use It

Featured Ingredient

Read more

Thank you. I have bookmarked that product and I will be investing in it very soon. for now I am using a cheap sunblock my mother gave me to offset the terrible buyers remorse I feel about wasting 15$ USD on that horrible product. I will transition off the cheap sunblock my mother gave me and onto this within the next couple of weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users