- - - - -

Elbow grinding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:00 AM

Got a couple questions for you geniuses here in the health forum,

In one of my elbows I have a really nasty grinding noise whenever I extend or retract my arm while flexing my upper arm muscles and I have a pretty good idea what it is, but I want to know if I can fix it without surgery...

Basically, when I was younger 8-12 ish I discovered that I could bend all of my fingers back completely, and twist my arm around completely backwards (putting strain on my elbow), and at the time I had no idea what I was doing to my joints, I just thought it was cool as shit and showed it off to my friends.

But now, I am left with this grinding noise... There really isn't any pain associated with it, maybe a slight ache on occasion, but nothing really debilitating.

I have had x-rays taken, but both doctors couldn't give me a definitive answer, one suggested that I had torn the cartilage or somehow damaged it so that it is causing a snag, and I am fairly confident he's right, but I am not sure.

Now, I am wondering if there is any way I can regenerate this cartilage through the use of vitamins or supplements, or a specific type of excercise which might stimulate the growth.

I am afraid that between this, and natural deterioration of joint tissues I might someday be left with a disability. So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this or at least prevent more damage?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

If your health insurance covers it, maybe get an MRI scan to get visibility of the softer tissues, just to be sure?

Although you do not experience pain, Hyaluronic acid comes to mind.

#3 JohnDoe1234

• Topic Starter
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

Doing some reading on it now, thanks.

I was told to regularly take a Glucosamine supplement, and I did for a while, but now I have fallen out of the habit. Does anyone have any personal experience with Glucosamine and its effects? I've read that it isn't very effective, and I don't want to waste more time and money on it if it going to do me no good. I took it three months straight with no results (perhaps not long enough?)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Any luck correcting this problem, Joseph? I have the same issue with musical joints. Anytime I bend at the elbow, there's a low "clack" kinda sound.

#5 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

SUBJECTIVELLY I can say that glucosamine helped me on a few occasions (used a stack of pills from "Universal nutrition"), I think so, but I have no idea if it really did, the end result is just satisfying for me (pain's gone) so..

Edited by VidX, 14 September 2009 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users