• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

The Route of Administration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: The Route of Administration (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Please select choices

1. Oral (swallow) (14 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. Sublingual (under the tongue) (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. Buccal (above the tongue) (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. Transdermal (injection) (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

5. Some combinations of the above (4 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 theflatworld

• 88 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

Hey Everyone,

I just want to post in here for a curiosity sake, how does everyone take their supplements?
I used to take them orally, but I read on the route of administration and realizing that
by swallowing pill I may:

1) reduce the pill's effectiveness by digestive tract's acid
2) enters the liver and causes liver toxicity.

As a result, I am taking all of the my drugs nowadays sublingually and buccally, that is submerging them and dissolve them
under my tongue. Yes, some pills are distasteful, but I get used to it after a while, most are tasteless.

By doing so, I let the effective ingredient enters the bloodstreams directly and putting less stress on the liver.

How do you all think?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:19 AM

by swallowing pill I may:

1) reduce the pill's effectiveness by digestive tract's acid
2) enters the liver and causes liver toxicity.

As a result, I am taking all of the my drugs nowadays sublingually and buccally, that is submerging them and dissolve them under my tongue. Yes, some pills are distasteful, but I get used to it after a while, most are tasteless.

By doing so, I let the effective ingredient enters the bloodstreams directly and putting less stress on the liver.

How do you all think?

I would call it an overstatement to say that supplements entering the liver cause liver toxicity. Very few supplements are likely to do this, although many are metabolized at least partially by the liver. However, that is the liver's job, and it can perform oxidations and conjugations without being damaged in the process. The reason the liver is doing these things is to get rid of whatever random toxins you might consume. The liver is treating all externally supplied molecules as potential "toxins", and trying to get rid of all of them. For most of the supplements people normally take, there's not much need to use them buccally. Most common supplements are sufficiently bioavailable when taken orally. There are a few where buccal delivery might be advantageous. Some may work worse buccally.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

I used to take them orally, but I read on the route of administration and realizing that by swallowing pill I may:

- reduce the pill's effectiveness by digestive tract's acid
- enters the liver and causes liver toxicity.

theflatworld,

Where did you read that?

Please list what supplements you're currently taking and the amounts of each one.

I take mine orally. The exception is vitamin B-12 (sublingual).

Edited by pycnogenol, 04 January 2009 - 03:50 PM.

#4 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

Transdermal is not the same thing as injection. Transdermal means through the skin, as in a lotion, a patch or the use of a solvent like DMSO; this is a route intended for slow systemic absorption. There are three kinds of injection, and they are all relatively drastic for supplements. Subcutaneous injection is similar to transdermal, except it doesn't require the same formulation for permeability. A small bolus is injected at a 45 degree angle (or "darted") under pinched up skin. Insulin and Lovenox (a special form of heparin) are taken this way.

The two other routes are intramuscular, which is deeper and painful. This is most likely to be used by people taking human growth hormone, which some people on the forums here do. Finally there is intravenous injection. I would really, really strongly advise nobody use IV administration unless they are properly trained and guided by a doctor.

I take all my supplements orally. Unless you're on a slew of supplements, or are on some medications that are metabolized exclusively by the liver, I wouldn't worry too much about the liver thing. Most of the studies done on supplements are researched through the oral route, so if there were issues of digestion or bioavailability they would probably already be known.

#5 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

I find that the suppository method works the best, though the curcumin w/bioperine stings a little.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

hahahah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users