Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Experiences with bite guards?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Anyone use them? Do they help with placement of teeth?

#2 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

Anyone use them? Do they help with placement of teeth?

Occlusal (bite) guards are not used for the "placement" of teeth. They are to protect the wearer from the harmful effects of parafunction or bruxism including severe teeth attrition and headaches. Therapeutic movement of teeth is accomplished with orthodontic brackets and wires or other orthodontic appliances. Keeping teeth in their place is done with orthodontic retainers which may be removable or may be bonded to the teeth. In children space maintainers are sometimes used to ensure proper eruption of permanent teeth.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

I use one every night. It really helps with symptoms of bruxism; LSP's post above is very informative. I wish I would have started using it sooner; as it is, I'm probably looking at a lot of restorative dentistry down the road, like enough to buy a new car. For the dentist, that is... I'm surprised that the technology of bite guards (at least the ones I've seen) is as crude as it is. It's made of a plastic that needs to be kept wet at all times, is prone to discoloration, and most importantly is bulky and unnatural feeling. You do get used to it, but I expected it to be a lot thinner, kind of like a tough skin that fits over the top teeth. It's more like having a shoe in your mouth.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:40 AM

Thanks for the replys. There is a bite guard that is much thinner and more expensive it is referred to by some Dentists as a "bite correcting brace". I agree about the bruxing guard it is bulky and obnoxious to wear but it saves your teeth. Neither one of the guards Im referring to need to be kept wet.

#5 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the replys. There is a bite guard that is much thinner and more expensive it is referred to by some Dentists as a "bite correcting brace". I agree about the bruxing guard it is bulky and obnoxious to wear but it saves your teeth. Neither one of the guards Im referring to need to be kept wet.

I just got a night guard from my dentist after grinding my teeth ever since I've had them. It's super thin and I barely notice wearing it. It's usually $500 but she gave me a discount.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

I just got a night guard from my dentist after grinding my teeth ever since I've had them. It's super thin and I barely notice wearing it. It's usually $500 but she gave me a discount.

Would you happen to know who makes this guard? It sounds like what I'm looking for.

#7 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:03 AM

Would you happen to know who makes this guard? It sounds like what I'm looking for.

I don't know who makes it. I specifically asked for one that is very thin though. It goes on the lower teeth.

Edited by nancyd, 27 April 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

I don't know who makes it. I specifically asked for one that is very thin though. It goes on the lower teeth.

Does it cover your molars, or is it a little thing that forces your front teeth to unmesh slightly? I know of a kind like that, but supposedly it can lead to TMJ problems, and it's also possible to swallow it. Does yours seem small enough to swallow?

#9 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

Does it cover your molars, or is it a little thing that forces your front teeth to unmesh slightly? I know of a kind like that, but supposedly it can lead to TMJ problems, and it's also possible to swallow it. Does yours seem small enough to swallow?

It would be quite a feat to swallow it. I imagine that would wake me up. It fits tightly so I can't take it off my teeth unless I use both hands and it takes a couple of seconds of pushing it. It just covers the front teeth including the eye teeth. It has completely relieved any TMJ symptoms I had.

Edited by nancyd, 27 April 2009 - 02:16 AM.

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:16 AM

Hey niner, nancyd

Have you guys considered using Magnesium to help with bruxism ?
I used to grind my teeth, but I stopped quite a while ago.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:36 AM

Hey niner, nancyd

I'm taking Mg now. It's crossed my mind that maybe I don't do it anymore, but the only way to tell would be to not wear the guard and see if I get any more damage. That's kind of a hard experiment to do. If I had something like a tooth-sized strain gauge, that might be able to tell me something... Or maybe a plastic thingy that would show tooth marks if you bit hard enough on it.

#12 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

Hey niner, nancyd

I've taken magnesium for years, but it didn't have an effect on the bruxism for me.

#13 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

I'm just correcting my previous post. My night guard does cover most of my molars.

#14 lecithin

• 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

I use magnesium citrate / sports mouth guard for treating bruxism and they are really effective (without magnesium I chew through mouth guard).

The guard I use is a boil and bite, and hasn't caused any changes (yet) in my bite pattern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users