- - - - -

Any disadvantages to 5htp use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Not_Supplied

• 93 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hi there.

I've just restarted using 5-htp to improve sleep. The last couple of days I took 2 holland and barret capsules containing in total: 5htp 100mg Niacin 10mg Vit B6 10 mg Magnesium 50 mg. The first day I felt no significant effect, but maybe slightly improved mood the next day. Yesterday, I had a glass of wine earlier in the evening, then missed dinner and had the 5htp with a small carbohydrate snack. I was unable to sleep and had a 'wired' feeling that is still present today.

I feel euphoric, but it has a slightly 'crazed' edge to it that's not entirely pleasant.

Obviously if that happens every night it's no good as a sleep aid. But I feel it would be good to persist with a lower dose for the mood lift, and change the time I take it if it prevents sleep. Do you think missing dinner and combining it with alcohol could cause this effect? Are there any potential harmful effects or downsides to long term 5htp use?

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

The only thing I don't like about taking 5-HTP is sometimes I have nightmares from the stuff. Not every night, thank goodness.
Other than that, it helps. A mere 50 mg usually does the trick. I've never taken 5-HTP with booze.

Edited by pycnogenol, 15 January 2009 - 04:26 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Not_Supplied

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

The only thing I don't like about taking 5-HTP is sometimes I have nightmares from the stuff. Not every night, thank goodness.
Other than that, it helps. A mere 50 mg usually does the trick. I've never taken 5-HTP with booze.

I tried 50mg last night and feel ok today. I wonder if yesterday was signs of the 'serotonin syndrome'.

I know what you mean about intense dreams! I see it as probably a good thing - mind processing past traumas maybe.

#4 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

May I suggest not taking it with B6, as that could cause the transformation of some of the 5-htp into serotonin before it gets to the brain. You do not want serotonin in your bloodstream, and it will not cross the blood-brain barrier in that form.

#5 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

I've also experienced insomnia and a "wired" sensation when taking 100 mg. IIRC, some individuals have been reported to experience stimulative effects at higher doses. I have more recently taken 50 mg QHS and, at that lower dose, I did not notice stimulation. YMMV.

#6 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:51 AM

I also get nightmares from 5htp. I like them though. I always feel better the morning after. I've given some to my cousin and he always asks me for "the pill that lets me wake up in the morning with ease and energized."

#7 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:38 AM

It was my understanding that 5-htp would simply be excreted as 5-HT (serotonin) provided sufficient B6 levels.
I think you could get around this by taking some sort of decarboxylase inhibitor, but this would introduce something much worse IMO.

Tryptophan might work? well... wutever, I'm not going to deny that I felt SOMETHING from 5-htp. Some of it must be crossing the BBB.

Just avoid the contraindicated: MAOI, mdma, ssri, snri, etc... A quick glance at wikipedia confirmed the aforementioned and that excess 5-htp levels in the brain may cause further production of serotonin and subsequently increased release.

tidbit: If you eat lean turkey by itself, you won't experience much effect because tryptophan is a large amino acid. Slow the absorption with carbs/fat for effect.

#8 Not_Supplied

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hmm...have been seriously wired and had sleep problems, but the mood lift and energy is seriously good. Dunno what to do now.

It was my understanding that 5-htp would simply be excreted as 5-HT (serotonin) provided sufficient B6 levels

Are you saying that you believe the seratonin formed is not an issue, as it will be excreted or have I misunderstood. Maybe you mean that h5tp is ineffective when combined with B6?

It's definitely having an effect much greater than placebo, esp as I thought it would give me a peaceful nights sleep.

I was using 100mg daily at the end of last year and didn't have this problem. The only differences I can see are:

Now, I'm taking AOR ortho core.
Then, I was taking high doses of Niacin, B vitamins and mineral complex.

Thanks for the tip...turkey and rice definitely used to give me a good night's sleep.

Edited by Not_Supplied, 18 January 2009 - 04:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 mr Fred

• 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like an "activation" of some kind. This can happen with a seritonin altering drug or supplement. I had the same issue with the generic brand of Zoloft. I suffer from insomnia and I am hoping 5-HTP helps... try it alone or only with a meal - no vitamins. The timing of the dose can play a role in how your body handles it. If successful, this can be a wonderful thing for sleep. I have started on 50MG - only with breakfast. After a week, I am going to add another 50MG at suppertime. Also, look into a "time release" version that is available in 100MG and 200 MG versions. That may be the answer, as it will realease the 5-HTP slowly over a 12 hour period.

Good Luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users