Photo
- - - - -

alkaline diet and juice fasting questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orangish

• 264 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

Was wondering whether anyone has tried these and/or whether anyone has had beneficial results?

I noticed that when I started eating more alkaline foods, I was able to sleep better, but also felt like my head wasn't as clear. Could something else possibly explain this phenomenon?

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

Catching the hippie is known to cause neuronal apoptosis.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

It helps to check your urine pH to see if your body is getting the alkalizing minerals and alkalizing foods it needs.

The first morning urine indicates, for the most part, how alkalizing your diet was the day before. Subsequent results (two other tests) will indicate if your diet is providing enough alkalizing minerals to raise pH if you need to.

I noticed my insomnia went away when I changed to an acid alkaline diet (more alkalizing foods).

It can take some time to feel completely better.

Protein can be the hardest macro nutrient to get in your diet. Are you getting enough protein. Protein is needed for your neurotransmitters, for one thing.

Supplementing alkalizing minerals can help. But taking bicarbonate is also good. Bicarb is usually added to water with lemon juice. That way the bicarb doesn't lower stomach acid (and interfere with digestion) but alkalizes your body.

But those ph strips are economical, I think, at about 10 cents a piece.

There is a lot of confusing and conflicting info on what foods are alkalizing.

I have never done juicing or any cleanses. I don't believe in starving myself.

If you developed a new symptom from changing your diet it might mean you're missing something like calcium or perhaps iron. Iron is alkalizing and may be low in diets low in animal protein. Iron is important for a number of neurotransmitters. But that is just some possible explanations.

#4 frederickson

• 282 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:50 AM

Supplementing alkalizing minerals can help. But taking bicarbonate is also good. Bicarb is usually added to water with lemon juice. That way the bicarb doesn't lower stomach acid (and interfere with digestion) but alkalizes your body.

i have had very acidic urine (less than 6), which is somewhat worrisome to me. i have tried incorporating lemon juice (which produces alkaline ash despite being acidic) and baking soda in water separately, but never together. do you think the fact that lemon juice is acidic and baking soda acidic make a neutral solution when combined?

#5 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

i have had very acidic urine (less than 6), which is somewhat worrisome to me. i have tried incorporating lemon juice (which produces alkaline ash despite being acidic) and baking soda in water separately, but never together. do you think the fact that lemon juice is acidic and baking soda acidic make a neutral solution when combined?

They work together because the end product is neutral. Baking soda is alkaline. Bicarbonate is alkaline. Taking baking soda by itself can interfere with your digestion, if you don't have excess stomach acid. Baking soda alone is an antacid.

That's why the neutral pH of lemon juice and bicarb can be taken or drunk at any time. Because they are neutral they will not interfere with digestion.

Alka-Seltzer Gold - the only A-K product without aspirin - is like lemon juice and baking soda (in water). The difference is A-K Gold has citric acid instead of lemon juice. There is another A-K product that uses tartartic acid. That is cream of tartar which is used in baking. The fizz is the chemical reaction of the acid and base coming together and releasing carbon dioxide. When your body releases the carbon dioxide (when you belch) it has an alkalizing effect

You really need to eat more alkaline foods to change your urine pH, particularly vegetables. My morning reading will be lower (acidic) if I eat less vegetables the day before.

Alkalizing supplements, bicarbonate, and other quick fixes won't alkalize your urine without vegetables in your diet. Your diet is important because it is the source of the ash that basically determines your (urine) pH. And the best alkalizing foods are vegetables.

#6 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

Juice fasting is a waste, IMHO.

What true fasting accomplishes primarily occurs through increased tissue catabolism and secondarily enhanced insulin sensitivity. The body preferentially recycles damaged material first. By adding extra calories from juice, one is merely delaying the inevitable catabolism and screwing up insulin sensitivity.

Just do water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users