Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Carbs = aging

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#301 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

Oatmeal has the added benefit of having very little or no gluten. Legumes and nuts will get you a good helping of protein and fats. Stick with leafy green vegetables and minimal fruit if you want to keep your insulin levels from spiking.

Well put!

Although I am a strong believer in protein=early demise, not carbs, the suggestion of oats and legumes is so up my alley, I have to say we think alike, which fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling. :)

I do disagree on the leafy greens, as I think they are probably the most overrated food category in human nutrition. We are not ruminants. True, we have pretty good digestive tracts for omnivores, but digesting leaves just doesn't really become us.
So, I would be in utter agreement if that wee part was changed to stuff like garlic and tomatoes.

But, I guess one positive thing about leafy greens is that they are 0 calorie consumables. Good for satisfying the compulsion to eat something. But, in this instance, I think green beans and peas are far superior, since they contain more absorbable nutrition.

Cheers!

#302 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

Oatmeal has the added benefit of having very little or no gluten. Legumes and nuts will get you a good helping of protein and fats. Stick with leafy green vegetables and minimal fruit if you want to keep your insulin levels from spiking.

Well put!

Although I am a strong believer in protein=early demise, not carbs, the suggestion of oats and legumes is so up my alley, I have to say we think alike, which fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling. :)

I do disagree on the leafy greens, as I think they are probably the most overrated food category in human nutrition. We are not ruminants. True, we have pretty good digestive tracts for omnivores, but digesting leaves just doesn't really become us.
So, I would be in utter agreement if that wee part was changed to stuff like garlic and tomatoes.

But, I guess one positive thing about leafy greens is that they are 0 calorie consumables. Good for satisfying the compulsion to eat something. But, in this instance, I think green beans and peas are far superior, since they contain more absorbable nutrition.

Cheers!

You dislike leafy greens because we did not evolve eating them, and yet you promote eating beans and peas?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#303 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

The low-fat dietary movement is one of the least healthy blunders we've made.

With obesity rates on the rise, the relationship between dairy and weight management has come under scrutiny. The high fat content in cheese, cream and other dairy products have prompted some nutritionists to link dairy to weight gain. However, some recent studies have indicated otherwise...She said that the study’s results showed an inverse association between consumption of full fat milk and BMI in the study cohort, with no similar association being seen for the intake of medium or low fat milk..."This is an interesting observation, but we don't know why it is so. It may be the case that children who drink full-fat milk tend also to eat other things that affect their weight. Another possible explanation is that children who do not drink full-fat milk drink more soft drinks instead," said Eriksson.
http://www.dairyrepo...o-low-BMI-study

Every cell in our body requires fat, as well as 1000's of bio-chemical processes within our body, such as the entire endocrine system. Limiting (healthy) fat intake is a big mistake. Not too mention, when fat is limited, the replacement is almost always carbs. And when you intake more carbs, you face accelerated aging...

If worms are any indication, all the sugar in your diet could spell much more than obesity and type 2 diabetes. Researchers reporting in the November issue of Cell Metabolism, a Cell Press publication, say it might also be taking years off your life.
http://www.medicalne...cles/169764.php

Quite simply, the more carbs you eat, the more glucose in your body, and glucose is extremely pro-aging for numerous reasons.

My brother has been a vegetarian for 15 plus years. I saw him on a disc golf course a few days ago and the person I was with commented, "What's wrong with Steve, he looks like warmed over death?" My brother is six years younger than me but everyone thinks he looks 10 years older than me. My answer is simple, "He's a vegetarian." In the above study, the researcher was so alarmed by the results, she switched to a low-carb diet:

Although the findings are in worms, Cynthia Kenyon of the University of California, San Francisco, says there are known to be many similarities between worms and people in the insulin signaling pathways. (As an aside, Kenyon says she read up on low-carb diets and changed her eating habits immediately - cutting out essentially all starches and desserts -- after making the initial discovery in worms. The discovery was made several years ago, but had not been reported in a peer-reviewed journal until now.)

#304 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

My brother has been a vegetarian for 15 plus years.

How old is your brother then? Have you seen any pictures of healthy vegetarians lately (I.E vegetarians who do it the right way!)? They invariably look younger than most of their peers.

I saw him on a disc golf course a few days ago and the person I was with commented, "What's wrong with Steve, he looks like warmed over death?" My brother is six years younger than me but everyone thinks he looks 10 years older than me. My answer is simple, "He's a vegetarian."

We've been through this before. Healthy vegetarianism is miles apart from people who call themselves vegetarian but who eat garbage food like refined carbs, dairy, wheat etc. Look at any number of real, whole food, raw vegetarians and you will see a trend toward them looking younger than their ages. Judging by your photo you definitely look your age if not older. I am just being honest here since you seem to think your meat consumption is slowing down your aging process. One thing I agree on though is that refined carbs play a significant role in aging and that net carbs should be no more than 100 grams a day. But I strongly disagree that eating meat is healthy. Too much evidence related to AGEs, IGF-1 activation and DHT production indicates that meat eating accelerates the aging process. In short I think it is just short sighted if not outright dumb to say all kinds of vegetarianism cause accelerated aging. Only the wrong kind do this. And IMO these people shouldn't be called vegetarians, they should be called junk foodetarians and they are a god damned shame to be labeled the same thing as healthy whole food vegetarians.

Edited by TheFountain, 05 November 2009 - 05:33 PM.

#305 Saber

• 110 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

Duke, you mention several times you were against dairy. How do accomplish the low-carb diet without consuming dairy?

Adipose tissues are used to store toxin in mammals, and we have a choice between it and dairy. There is not much other options for satisfying fat intake, perhaps nut but that comes with another problem of lectin and high omega-6 content.

Edited by Saber, 05 November 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#306 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

Duke, you mention several times you were against dairy. How do accomplish the low-carb diet without consuming dairy?

Adipose tissues are used to store toxin in mammals, and we have a choice between it and dairy. There is not much other options for satisfying fat intake, perhaps nut but that comes with another problem of lectin and high omega-6 content.

Modern factory farmed dairy and animal products are high in Omega 6 in fact the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 has gone up significantly in the past 30 or so years due in part to farming methods and possibly environmental factors. I suggest staying away from too much dairy and meat, consuming Omega 3 eggs and olive oil. Fish is better for you in moderation than animal meat is in IMO

#307 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

I don't worry too much about dairy anymore, as my extensive blood tests don't seem to indicate anything negative. However, I only ever buy dairy that is from natural cows. And, when I buy milk it's always goats milk (plus, I buy goats cheese and goats butter). If I'm in a restaurant, I'll eat the dairy products without worrying about it.

As for getting more fats, I eat a lot of coconut oil, with I pre-mix 50/50 with whey protein powder, and then I'll eat this mixture along with a piece of dark chocolate (currently I buy 86% cocoa chocolate). I also eat an omelet daily (usually with sausage), and I eat guacamole everyday. Plus, my daily shake is 70% fat (coconut fat, red palm oil, and olive oil).

#308 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:47 AM

I know plenty of vegetarians here (not over the net), but I'm the only vegetarian that eats healthy that I know ;) Being vegetarian doesn't really say anything about the quality of the diet... I've been vegetarian since 2007 now. :-) and quite happy with that decision.

Edited by Matt, 07 November 2009 - 02:48 AM.

#309 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

Pflugers Arch. 2010 Jan;459(2):269-75. Epub 2009 Sep 17.
The role of mitochondrial uncoupling proteins in lifespan.
Dietrich MO, Horvath TL.

Section of Comparative Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA.
Abstract
The increased longevity in modern societies raised the attention to biological interventions that could promote a healthy aging. Mitochondria are main organelles involved in the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energetic substrate for cellular biochemical reactions. The production of ATP occurs through the oxidative phosphorylation of intermediate substrates derived from the breakdown of lipids, sugars, and proteins. This process is coupled to production of oxygen reactive species (ROS) that in excess will have a deleterious role in cellular function. The damage promoted by ROS has been emphasized as one of the main processes involved in senescence. In the last decades, the discovery of specialized proteins in the mitochondrial inner membrane that promote the uncoupling of proton flux (named uncoupling proteins-UCPs) from the ATP synthase shed light on possible mechanisms implicated in the buffering of ROS and consequently in the process of aging. UCPs are responsible for a physiological uncoupling that leads to decrease in ROS production inside the mitochondria. Thus, induction of uncoupling through UCPs could decrease the cellular damage that occurs during aging due to excess of ROS. This review will focus on the evidence supporting these mechanisms.

PMID: 19760284 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]PMCID: PMC2809791Free PMC Article

Doesn't a low-carb diet increase UCPs. I remember Skot posting a study on that.

#310 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

More evidence that carbs are bad, as if we need anymore.

#311 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Really deceptive language. How would you like it if someone said 'more evidence fats are bad' based on a study indicating that transfatty acids were deadly? Sugar is a carbohydrate but to make the blanket statement based on a sugar study that we have 'more evidence that carbs are bad' is just deceptive, manipulative language. This kind of language will not help matters, really. There are good and bad sources of fats and carbs. Why can't we approach this from this more balanced language than matter of factly stating 'carbs are bad'? Guess what? It is highly likely that Lipids contribute to aging too! But which kinds of Lipids and in what ratio? Same question must be asked of carbs.

Edited by TheFountain, 22 April 2010 - 05:33 PM.

#312 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

im up to 65-70% of my diet in carbs. but it's all veggies. brussel sprouts, low GI sweet potatoes....

only thing close to high GI "sugar" is a bit of dark chocolate...

#313 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

My main source of carbs right now is Oatmeal, some walnuts and vegetables. From time to time I eat blue corn chips with salsa. But these don't seem to be adding visceral fat.

#314 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

My main source of carbs right now is Oatmeal,

rolled, steel cut or whole?

#315 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

My main source of carbs right now is Oatmeal,

rolled, steel cut or whole?

Old fashioned Irish oatmeal. Like this but only 100% organic rolled oats.

Posted Image

#316 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Substitute Fat for Carbs in your above statement and now where back to the 70's/80's

#317 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

i don't understand how it cooks so fast without phosphates added. it must be rolled oats that are "irish style", no?

edit: seems im right. they are basically rolled oats.

Two other examples provide an anomaly of sorts. The Old Wessex Irish Style Oatmeal and Old Wessex Scottish Style Porridge Oats, whatever their claims to Celtic national traditions, are both made from rolled oats and taste and feel no better nor worse than the other rolled-oats oatmeals; they certainly don't resemble the more authentic steel cut or ground oats versions. There are no federal laws governing oatmeal label claims, of course, so manufacturers can assert whatever they want to, but all you have to do is hold a handful of rolled oats beside steel-cut oats to see the difference

Source: http://www.commercia...eel-cut-ground/

Edited by prophets, 22 April 2010 - 09:12 PM.

#318 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

Substitute Fat for Carbs in your above statement and now where back to the 70's/80's

I'm trying to eliminate extremism with our language. I think there are healthy types of both carbs and fats and saying one macronutrient is completely the culprit is just foolish. See what happens if you were on a low carb, high fat diet but the fats you consumed were mostly transfatty acids. You would fuck your health over on those too. The problem here is the types of fats that have been causing health problems have not been targeted by health officials and the types of carbs that have been causing health problems have not been isolated by the language we as a community are using.

#319 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

I'm trying to eliminate extremism with our language. I think there are healthy types of both carbs and fats and saying one macronutrient is completely the culprit is just foolish. See what happens if you were on a low carb, high fat diet but the fats you consumed were mostly transfatty acids. You would fuck your health over on those too. The problem here is the types of fats that have been causing health problems have not been targeted by health officials and the types of carbs that have been causing health problems have not been isolated by the language we as a community are using.

Ummm I believe the F-word is extremism as far as language is concerned.

#320 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

Pity you're focusing on the word FUCK more than the content of my post.

#321 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

Oh my god. Did somebody say FUCK?

#322 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

Pity you're focusing on the word FUCK more than the content of my post.

Another useless conversation with you. As usual.

#323 Snoopy

• 105 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

It seems like insulin is not the problem but the downstream signalling there after - the article below isolates and emphasizes growth hormone receptors as the problem.

I have also done some further research and found this:
'Growth Hormone Inhibits Apoptosis and Up-Regulates Reactive Oxygen Intermediates'

Does this mean growth hormone speeds up the rate of damage being done, making a shorter window of opportunity for repair to take place...

That would explain why all the supercentarians are extremely short people and why people with gigantism have problems.

http://www.worldheal..._be_key_to_lon/

http://pen.sagepub.c...stract/22/6/368

#324 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

It seems like insulin is not the problem but the downstream signalling there after - the article below isolates and emphasizes growth hormone receptors as the problem.

I knew it.

That would explain why all the supercentarians are extremely short people and why people with gigantism have problems.

And why younger body builders tend to, on average, look more 'mature' than their peers.

#325 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

High carb diet affects rates of heart disease in women more than men, according to this study.

#326 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

On my 2Read list:

Endocr Rev. 1994 Feb;15(1):80-101.
Nutritional regulation of the insulin-like growth factors.
Thissen JP, Ketelslegers JM, Underwood LE.

J Nutr. 1998 Feb;128(2 Suppl):315S-320S.
The porcine insulin-like growth factor system: at the interface of nutrition, growth and reproduction.
Simmen FA, Badinga L, Green ML, Kwak I, Song S, Simmen RC.

FASEB J. 1994 Jan;8(1):6-12.
Nutritional regulation of hormones and growth factors that control mammalian growth.
Straus DS.

J Anim Sci. 1992 Sep;70(9):2901-10.
Insulin-like growth factors and binding proteins in ruminants and their nutritional regulation.
McGuire MA, Vicini JL, Bauman DE, Veenhuizen JJ.

Edited by Sillewater, 29 April 2010 - 06:23 AM.

#327 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

Can cutting carbohydrates from your diet make you live longer?
It's an extraordinary claim. But scientists say you can extend your life AND stay fit throughout old age - just by a change of diet that switches on your youth gene... [confirmation bias]The writings on the wall![/confirmation bias]

#328 orbital

• 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

Having read that article in the Dailymail site the other day, I was confident that the evidence is starting to all go the same way.

Then today Yahoo had this-

http://uk.health.lif...iosclerosis.htm

It gave me jitters... or am I overreacting to a single article?

#329 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

Having read that article in the Dailymail site the other day, I was confident that the evidence is starting to all go the same way.

Then today Yahoo had this-

http://uk.health.lif...iosclerosis.htm

It gave me jitters... or am I overreacting to a single article?

That article is from 2009, on mice, and [the study behind it] has been discussed in this forum (maybe even this thread) somewhere already. Sorry can't recall where exactly

#330 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:21 AM

I have also done some further research and found this:
'Growth Hormone Inhibits Apoptosis and Up-Regulates Reactive Oxygen Intermediates'
Does this mean growth hormone speeds up the rate of damage being done, making a shorter window of opportunity for repair to take place...
http://www.worldheal..._be_key_to_lon/
http://pen.sagepub.c...stract/22/6/368

Sooo... maybe we are back to ROS/SOD once again here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users