• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Any Supplements that help with feeling rested after sleep?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

No idea... Maybe the whole growth hormone thing

#32 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

No idea... Maybe the whole growth hormone thing

What's that? Not familiar with a relation between choline and growth hormone.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:00 AM

im not sure on the specifics, but theres a supposed relationship between choline donors and growth hormone secretion.

ive experimented with a few things since i first posted in this thread...

the countrylife tension RX still gives me the best sleep ever... i wake up, and im up.. instantly awake and refreshed and feeling good. leaves me mentally clear & in a good mood for the entire day... phenibut tolerance builds quick so i plan on only using it twice per week. twice per week i have 2 classes in a row that i need to be really sharp for...

2.5g glycine + 1g tryptophan + 20mg p5p produces a nice deep sleep as well.. fantastic dreams and recall (which i -never- have). gonna stick with this stack for a while and see how it works out...

Edited by ajnast4r, 04 February 2009 - 08:03 AM.

#34 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

I tested out Suntheanine the past two nights, and I can't say it did much for me. Maybe I fell asleep slightly quicker, and perhaps it made me a little more relaxed, but it wasn't much of an effect. It could be that I'm not really stressed out or anxious to begin with.

But what I did notice, which I found weird, is that I woke up several times in the early morning, several hours before I normally awake. I was able to get back to sleep, but I actually felt worse each day, as if I was getting poor quality sleep, not better. And this second day I notice my asthma is a little worse. Now this probably is all a coincidence, but I was wondering:

Could it be that L-Theanine causes the release of more GABA, worsening asthma?

http://www.marketwir...tre-745588.html

It's probably a stretch to come to that conclusion, but I was curious if excess GABA could induce more mucus, hence worsen asthma?

I have some GABA samples here too, which I guess I could test to see if the same reaction occurs. Although GABA supplements don't cross the blood-brain barrier, do they? Yet I think L-Theanine does.

#35 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

I tested out Suntheanine the past two nights, and I can't say it did much for me. Maybe I fell asleep slightly quicker, and perhaps it made me a little more relaxed, but it wasn't much of an effect. It could be that I'm not really stressed out or anxious to begin with.

But what I did notice, which I found weird, is that I woke up several times in the early morning, several hours before I normally awake. I was able to get back to sleep, but I actually felt worse each day, as if I was getting poor quality sleep, not better. And this second day I notice my asthma is a little worse. Now this probably is all a coincidence, but I was wondering:

Could it be that L-Theanine causes the release of more GABA, worsening asthma?

http://www.marketwir...tre-745588.html

It's probably a stretch to come to that conclusion, but I was curious if excess GABA could induce more mucus, hence worsen asthma?

I have some GABA samples here too, which I guess I could test to see if the same reaction occurs. Although GABA supplements don't cross the blood-brain barrier, do they? Yet I think L-Theanine does.

I think a more likely possibility would be that L-theanine suppressed the production of cortisol, which would have caused middle-of-the-night awakenings (low glucose) and increased asthma symptoms.

#36 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:53 AM

I've had sleeping problems with L-theanine as well. Though I've never heard of it suppressing cortisol production... I tend to think of Ashwagandha and phosphatidylserine in that regard. I always just assumed the nasty mechanism was lowering production and increasing clearance of serotonin.

http://www.jstage.js...62_816/_article

"Following the administration of theanine, the brain tryptophan content significantly increased or tended to increase, but the contents of serotonin and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid (5HIAA) decreased. The use of inhibitors of serotonin metabolism enable us to speculate that theanine reduced serotonin synthesis and also increased serotonin degradation in the brain."

#37 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

im not sure on the specifics, but theres a supposed relationship between choline donors and growth hormone secretion.

ive experimented with a few things since i first posted in this thread...

the countrylife tension RX still gives me the best sleep ever... i wake up, and im up.. instantly awake and refreshed and feeling good. leaves me mentally clear & in a good mood for the entire day... phenibut tolerance builds quick so i plan on only using it twice per week. twice per week i have 2 classes in a row that i need to be really sharp for...

2.5g glycine + 1g tryptophan + 20mg p5p produces a nice deep sleep as well.. fantastic dreams and recall (which i -never- have). gonna stick with this stack for a while and see how it works out...

So you're taking this stack w/ the tension RX? I'm going to guess the p5p is to help serotonin synthesis? Do you recommend this over other forms of B6? Is it easy on the stomach?

Also, if you've taking the tension rx frequently, aren't you a little worried about the b6/5-htp mixture? I might've considered giving it a shot, but the CDP choline hurts my stomach. Plus, I don't see the point of the GABA in there either. Was there ever a definitive study about the ability of GABA to cross the BBB, or is it mostly conjecture?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 05 February 2009 - 02:12 AM.

#38 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

Nameless, Melatonin has been known to worsen asthma. Was it part of your stack?

http://www.webmd.com...n-worsen-asthma

#39 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

Nameless, Melatonin has been known to worsen asthma. Was it part of your stack?

http://www.webmd.com...n-worsen-asthma

Not recently. I have tried melatonin in the past, and it never worked very well for me. Asthma could be the reason why. All I tried this time was Suntheanine, but the results weren't that different. It's interesting if Suntheanine does lower cortisol, as I never read that before. I just assumed it'd be nice and safe and provide a relaxing sleep.

I could try GABA next, but I see no real point, as the results probably shouldn't be different than Suntheanine. The best sleep aid I've used in the past was Chlortrimiton (allergy med), but I don't think it's a good idea to use it very often.

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's, so that could be one factor regarding my poor sleep. I'll know more as my medicine is titrated, but that can take several months.

#40 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Are we talking about taking that stuff with food or on an empty stomach? Do you (have to) combine your sleep stack/glycine with food?

#41 Barksdale

• 149 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Melatonin didn't work for me either. However, I've ordered 6-hour time released melatonin now, is that better?

Edited by Barksdale, 04 April 2009 - 05:30 PM.

#42 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

GABA definitely has a sedative quality to it when you take a couple grams at once.

I never cared for melatonin. It knocks me out which is something I need, but I always wake up in the middle of the night when I take it.

The best thing I ever found for sleep quality was phenibut. Unfortunately I quickly became dependent on it and it started to effect my mood during the day.

#43 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

I was wondering if there are any supplements that help someone to feel more rested after sleeping? I am sleeping 6+ hours, but yet I am tired when I wake up in the morning. This just has been happening as of late. Maybe I am not going into REM sleep? Work has been stressful.
I tried melatonin-doesn't help.

Any suggestions?

Dosage matters within melatonin, and appropriate dosage can be very different for different people.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#44 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

My sleep stack works so well for me consistently waking up refreshed and pleasant that I wish I could patent it and make my millions.

Glycine, tryptophan, and melatonin play big roles for me. Particularly the tryptophan and glycine.

Do you take Glycine and Tryptophan at the same time? Being free-form amino acids, are they going to compete for absorption?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users