Photo
- - - - -

Low Carb foods on the market

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Although I am not a proponent of the low carb diet, as I believe there is a major difference between good and bad carb intake, I wanted to take this opportunity to compile a list of low carb foods widely available in supermarket outlets. I understand that it is difficult for some to actively differentiate (and equally, to believe in this difference) between good and bad carbs, so for those on a low carb diet, it is better to stay away from carbohydrates completely rather than to eat some bad and some good carbs. Please contribute to this list.

1-Dream fields pasta (considered low carb because the carbs are in the form of fibre)

2-Eggs, cottage cheese (low carb high protein)

3-Most fish, like shrimp, salmon, tuna etc.

4-There are low carb breads on the market, though I do not currently recall any other than 'weight watchers' which I am sure contains added sucralose for us health fanatics.

5-An assortment of vegetables, including:

Alfalfa sprouts
Daikon
Mushrooms
Arugula
Endive
Parsley
Bok Choy
Escarole
Peppers
Celery
Fennel
Radicchi

This seems like a very scant list thus far. What am I missing? I know there must be more, aside from meat.

Edited by TheFountain, 23 January 2009 - 12:01 PM.

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

You should check out the whole health blog, and what its author has to say on wheat. Interesting reading.

I think the list should be the other way around with the vegetables first.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

You should check out the whole health blog, and what its author has to say on wheat. Interesting reading.

I think the list should be the other way around with the vegetables first.

The thing I am interested in knowing is how body builders on low carb diets 'bulk up'. There doesn't seem to be too many calorie dense foods that are also low in carbohydrates. And is we know calorie surplus, not deficit, is what feeds muscle growth. Take Mark Sisson for example. To have and maintain a physique like his you have to be taking in significant calories daily. I just don't see where he is getting it on the 'paleo diet'. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Although I am not a proponent of the low carb diet, as I believe there is a major difference between good and bad carb intake, I wanted to take this opportunity to compile a list of low carb foods widely available in supermarket outlets. I understand that it is difficult for some to actively differentiate (and equally, to believe in this difference) between good and bad carbs, so for those on a low carb diet, it is better to stay away from carbohydrates completely rather than to eat some bad and some good carbs. Please contribute to this list.

1-Dream fields pasta (considered low carb because the carbs are in the form of fibre)

4-There are low carb breads on the market, though I do not currently recall any other than 'weight watchers' which I am sure contains added sucralose for us health fanatics.

Alfalfa sprouts
Daikon
Mushrooms
Arugula
Endive
Parsley
Bok Choy
Escarole
Peppers
Celery
Fennel
Radicchi

This seems like a very scant list thus far. What am I missing? I know there must be more, aside from meat.

6-Cream, Greek Yogurt, Coconut oil, Coconut milk
(High fat)

7-Nuts, esp. almonds.

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

Alfalfa sprouts
Daikon
Mushrooms
Arugula
Endive
Parsley
Bok Choy
Escarole
Peppers
Celery
Fennel
Radicchi

6-Cream, Greek Yogurt, Coconut oil, Coconut milk
(High fat)

7-Nuts, esp. almonds.

Thank you for your additions. What are some calorie dense. low carb foods that would help someone build muscle?

#6 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

Alfalfa sprouts
Daikon
Mushrooms
Arugula
Endive
Parsley
Bok Choy
Escarole
Peppers
Celery
Fennel
Radicchi

Spinach
Lettuce
Oil-based unsweetened salad dressings
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Avocados
Guacamole
Nuts (relatively low-carb, these are a staple in most low-carb diets)
Nut butters
Sour cream
Butter
85% or higher dark chocolate
MCT Oil
Protein powders

As far as your question about caloric intake, that is ironic because the entire reason we were told to eat low-fat diets in America for the last 30 years is because fat is so calorically dense at 9 calories a gram. The low-carb diet is dominated by fat, and looking at this list, you should be able to eat massive calories if you are so inclined. You might be confused by the fact that ad libitum intake is naturally lower on a low-carb diet, but that is just a side effect of satiety and low insulin levels. If you want or need to consume calories for whatever reason the food is there.

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

Alfalfa sprouts
Daikon
Mushrooms
Arugula
Endive
Parsley
Bok Choy
Escarole
Peppers
Celery
Fennel
Radicchi

Spinach
Lettuce
Oil-based unsweetened salad dressings
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Avocados
Guacamole
Nuts (relatively low-carb, these are a staple in most low-carb diets)
Nut butters
Sour cream
Butter
85% or higher dark chocolate
MCT Oil
Protein powders

As far as your question about caloric intake, that is ironic because the entire reason we were told to eat low-fat diets in America for the last 30 years is because fat is so calorically dense at 9 calories a gram. The low-carb diet is dominated by fat, and looking at this list, you should be able to eat massive calories if you are so inclined. You might be confused by the fact that ad libitum intake is naturally lower on a low-carb diet, but that is just a side effect of satiety and low insulin levels. If you want or need to consume calories for whatever reason the food is there.

So for example, a meal consisting of a tuna steak, 2-3 servings of Dream fields low carb pasta and 4 tablespoons of virgin olive oil with a side of carrots would be considered both Low carb and calorie dense? I am going to experiment with this diet insofar as molding it into my philosophy of not eating any higher animals, such as cows, pigs and chickens. I will basically go on a trial adjusting for the lack of other meats with fish, low carb breads and pastas and basically sticking with orange juice consumption as my highest source of carbs. The reason for the latter being potassium intake. Anyone know any other natural source of potassium that is also low carb? I know bananas are pretty high on the carb scale too, but I am still not convinced these carbs are bad or act as insulin spikes, but I am going to experiment nonetheless.

#8 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

Anyone know any other natural source of potassium that is also low carb? I know bananas are pretty high on the carb scale too, but I am still not convinced these carbs are bad or act as insulin spikes, but I am going to experiment nonetheless.

You should get adequate potassium without making any special effort on a balanced low-carb diet. The vegetables provide potassium, nuts are a very rich source of potassium. If you are compelled to drink something specifically for potassium content, tomato juice is a MUCH better choice than orange juice. Please do not eat bananas. :)

#9 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

Anyone know any other natural source of potassium that is also low carb? I know bananas are pretty high on the carb scale too, but I am still not convinced these carbs are bad or act as insulin spikes, but I am going to experiment nonetheless.

You should get adequate potassium without making any special effort on a balanced low-carb diet. The vegetables provide potassium, nuts are a very rich source of potassium. If you are compelled to drink something specifically for potassium content, tomato juice is a MUCH better choice than orange juice. Please do not eat bananas. :)

Low in carbs? Would low sodium V8 qualify?

#10 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Yes, but considering the ratio of sodium to potassium in regular V8 is already well-balanced at 1:1, unless you are getting excessive salt elsewhere in the diet or have high blood pressure that responds to reductions in sodium intake I don't see the need for the low sodium variety.

#11 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

Yes, but considering the ratio of sodium to potassium in regular V8 is already well-balanced at 1:1, unless you are getting excessive salt elsewhere in the diet or have high blood pressure that responds to reductions in sodium intake I don't see the need for the low sodium variety.

Well I am trying to keep my sodium intake to around 1000 mgs daily, 1500 at the uppermost limit. Regular V8 is generally about 600 mgs per serving from what I know. So it makes sense to get the lower sodium kind. And besides, sodium-potassium balance is generally calculated during a 24 hour period not through individual servings of foods.

Edited by TheFountain, 23 January 2009 - 07:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users