Photo
- - - - -

Anxiety and Tension

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zans Mihejevs

• 45 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

I have a serious problem with anxiety. It feels as if I'm always tense, like a string that's being too taut. As a side effect I always speak WAY too fast. Most people who don't know me have trouble figuring out what I'm saying because all the words just blurr together when coming out of my mouth. And I can never relax. I don't know why, I'm just always on the edge.

I'm not really taking anything right now and this problem persisted for most of my life. I have a good diet and below average sedetary level.

Are there any supplements, nootropics or lifestyle changes that you would recomend for me as a solution?

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

anxiety responds well to behavioral therapies... also meditation is KEY imo. anyone who has even slight problems with anxiety should be meditation every day..

meditation teaches you to induce the 'relaxation response'... which get progressively deeper & deeper as you continue to induce it over and over. eventually daily induction of this relaxation response will 'spill over' into your waking life... you will find a reduction in anxiety and increased calm/peace during your everyday activities. also you will be able to consciously induce a relaxation response whenever you are feeling anxious... effectively reducing or completely removing the anxiety.

it takes some time to learn to do it properly, and required daily practice. consistency is the key to efficacy with meditation, if you dont do it every day you wont experience the positive results.

read this, its a good starter on meditation:

mindfullness in plain english:
http://www.urbandhar...harma4/mpe.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:36 AM

You could try taking Magnesium(anything except Oxide), lots of people are deficient.

Perhaps 200-600 mg/day ?

#4 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

I completely agree with ajnast4r. Mindfullness based stress reduction (MBSR) is a very helpful technique that was first championed in the west by Dr. Jon Kabatt-Zinn at UMass. You can find their programs all over the country. Also, some people with anxiety respond well
with fish oil, esp. the EPA rich ones.

J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006 Dec;26(6):661-5.
n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease anxiety feelings in a population of substance abusers.
Buydens-Branchey L, Branchey M.
New York Harbor Healthcare System, Brooklyn Campus, Brooklyn, NY 11209, USA. lbuydens@worldnet.att.net
There is mounting evidence that low levels of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) play a role in the pathophysiology of a number of psychiatric disorders. Preclinical studies have shown that n-3 PUFAs decrease anxietylike behaviors, but there is a paucity of information about their effects on anxiety in humans. In light of our observation that substance abusers have poor dietary habits and the strong association between anxiety disorders and substance use disorders, the possibility that the administration of supplements of n-3 PUFAs would decrease the anxiety level of a group of substance abusers was explored. Thirteen patients were given on a daily basis capsules containing 3 g of n-3 PUFAS (eicosapentaenoic acid + docosahexaenoic acid). Eleven patients received similarly looking placebo capsules containing vegetable oil. The trial was double-blind, randomized, and lasted 3 months. A scale assessing anxiety feelings was administered at baseline and on a monthly basis thereafter. Six PUFA group patients and 8 placebo group patients were followed for an additional 3 months after treatment discontinuation and administered the same questionnaire monthly. Patients who received n-3 PUFAs for 3 months showed a progressive decline in anxiety scores. This was not the case for patients who received placebos. A comparison of the 2 groups was significant (P = 0.010). Anxiety scores remained significantly decreased in the PUFA group for 3 months after treatment discontinuation. A comparison of the 2 groups followed for 6 months was also significant (P = 0.042). In conclusion, these preliminary data indicate that n-3 PUFA supplementation could be beneficial in the treatment of some patients with anxiety disorders.

PMID: 17110827

anxiety responds well to behavioral therapies... also meditation is KEY imo. anyone who has even slight problems with anxiety should be meditation every day..

meditation teaches you to induce the 'relaxation response'... which get progressively deeper & deeper as you continue to induce it over and over. eventually daily induction of this relaxation response will 'spill over' into your waking life... you will find a reduction in anxiety and increased calm/peace during your everyday activities. also you will be able to consciously induce a relaxation response whenever you are feeling anxious... effectively reducing or completely removing the anxiety.

it takes some time to learn to do it properly, and required daily practice. consistency is the key to efficacy with meditation, if you dont do it every day you wont experience the positive results.

read this, its a good starter on meditation:

mindfullness in plain english:
http://www.urbandhar...harma4/mpe.html

#5 bran319

• 175 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:43 AM

Aerobic Exercise
Strength Training

I can't emphasize those two enough.

I seem to suffer from similar problems and the supp that has had the most profound effect for me personally is LEF Sublingual DHEA two 25mg tablets in the morning.

Good luck!

#6 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:19 AM

Theanine, deprenyl. The magnesium and fish oil supplements are a good idea for basically anyone, as well.

#7 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:43 AM

Magnesium, take 200-400 mg whenever you feel the symptoms coming on. I have those same problems you mentioned. Also, look into Taurine and holy basil.

#8 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:11 AM

Aerobic Exercise
Strength Training

I can't emphasize those two enough.

I can't stress them enough either. The weeks where I've hit out the hardest intensity in the gym (I do mainly HIT work), are the weeks where I'm mellow, chilled out and easy.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:25 AM

Meditation has changed my life, if not saved my life. It should start with that. Then there needs to be exercise.

As for supplements, start with the basics: Fish Oil, Magnesium, stuff like that. Only then should you move up to things like adaptogens, herbs, and then the more serious stuff. I wouldn't touch stuff like deprenyl or DHEA for a while. I take deprenyl for ADD and I spent a year going through other options before I finally even tried it.

I would say more but gotta run. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users