• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

A sunscreen that only works when you wash it off?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aphrodite

• Guest, F@H
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

I just came across this apparently breakthrough innovation called Freeze 24/7 that claims to be one of the best products of the year (nominated by allure). Anyway, this product is supposed to use some "magnetic force" to bind sunblock ingredients to your skin--which is activated when you wash the lotion off your face. I must admit, I am very skeptical of this product and after looking at the ingredients I wasn't able to sort out exactly how this would work. If anyone else has tried this product or would like to leave their opinion, fire away!

Here's a link to the product http://www.skinstore...amp;PID=1332426

Edited by Aphrodite, 08 February 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#2 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

I just came across this apparently breakthrough innovation called Freeze 24/7 that claims to be one of the best products of the year (nominated by allure). Anyway, this product is supposed to use some "magnetic force" to bind sunblock ingredients to your skin--which is activated when you wash the lotion off your face. I must admit, I am very skeptical of this product and after looking at the ingredients I wasn't able to sort out exactly how this would work. If anyone else has tried this product or would like to leave their opinion, fire away!

It is a bit of a contradiction to be able to rinse away the foaming ingredients of the cleanser (tha ones that clean and irritating to the skin) but in the same time being able to leave a thin film (that does not penetrate into the skin) evenly loaded with sunscreen agents on the surface of the skin to be able to protect the skin against UVR? ;)

Here is the ingredients list for the aforementioned product:

Ingredients: WATER (Aqua), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Polyquaternium- Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethicone, Petrolatum Ammonium dimethicone PEG-7 Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate Laureth-4, Acrylates Copolymer, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate Dimethicone, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Ammonium Hydroxide, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids BHT, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Methosulfate Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycerin, Glycol Stearate PVP, Quaternium-91, Silica, Sodium citrate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Stearate, Stearic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzoic Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Chlorphenesin Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben Methylparaben, Isobutylparaben

Does anybody see a sunscreen agent except TiO2 (which is used as a colouant and thickener in this product in a very low concentration that has no effect what so ever as an SPF booster/UVB protector agent)?

I will still stick with an "old fashioned" sunscreen for the time being :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Does anybody see a sunscreen agent except TiO2 (which is used as a colouant and thickener in this product in a very low concentration that has no effect what so ever as an SPF booster/UVB protector agent)?

From another website: Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2.1%, Octinoxate 4.8%, Octocrylene 4.6%.

#4 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:27 AM

It is a bit of a contradiction to be able to rinse away the foaming ingredients of the cleanser (tha ones that clean and irritating to the skin) but in the same time being able to leave a thin film (that does not penetrate into the skin) evenly loaded with sunscreen agents on the surface of the skin to be able to protect the skin against UVR? ;)

Ingredients: WATER (Aqua), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Polyquaternium- Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethicone, Petrolatum Ammonium dimethicone PEG-7 Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate Laureth-4, Acrylates Copolymer, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate Dimethicone, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Ammonium Hydroxide, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids BHT, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Methosulfate Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycerin, Glycol Stearate PVP, Quaternium-91, Silica, Sodium citrate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Stearate, Stearic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzoic Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Chlorphenesin Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben Methylparaben, Isobutylparaben

For me those 'old fashioned' sunscreens cause irritation.

If I'm out in the sun for an hour during a run in the summer when I get back, shower, put on moisturizer,
within a few hours my skin feels back to normal. If I put on a suncreen an hour before my run I end up with a 'burned' feeling that
doesn't go away until maybe 12-24 hours later (not to mention that it sometimes runs into the eyes ouch!)
I have only two friends who have been regular sunscreen users for many many years (that I know). They both have
terrible (but very white) skin. From my observations of these people (and this is a huge generalization I know..)
these chemicals cause a roughening of the skin and cause visible large pores. Now maybe these people were using
poor products, or had poor genetics and would have bad skin anyway. I don't know. I have always stopped using
the products before my pores got as large as these people's -- maybe its the excess oil in some products or
a bad ph balance.

I for one would love a non irritating sunscreen that doesn't give me large pores, make my skin feel burned,
or cause zits. I've tried loads of name brand and healthfood store brands. I have no problem with good moisturizers
(and there are only a few of these but thats another story) but once those standard sunscreen chemicals are added
blammo! bad skin (for me).

#5 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

It is a bit of a contradiction to be able to rinse away the foaming ingredients of the cleanser (tha ones that clean and irritating to the skin) but in the same time being able to leave a thin film (that does not penetrate into the skin) evenly loaded with sunscreen agents on the surface of the skin to be able to protect the skin against UVR? :)

For me those 'old fashioned' sunscreens cause irritation.

If I'm out in the sun for an hour during a run in the summer when I get back, shower, put on moisturizer,
within a few hours my skin feels back to normal. If I put on a suncreen an hour before my run I end up with a 'burned' feeling that
doesn't go away until maybe 12-24 hours later (not to mention that it sometimes runs into the eyes ouch!)
I have only two friends who have been regular sunscreen users for many many years (that I know). They both have
terrible (but very white) skin. From my observations of these people (and this is a huge generalization I know..)
these chemicals cause a roughening of the skin and cause visible large pores. Now maybe these people were using
poor products, or had poor genetics and would have bad skin anyway. I don't know. I have always stopped using
the products before my pores got as large as these people's -- maybe its the excess oil in some products or
a bad ph balance.

I for one would love a non irritating sunscreen that doesn't give me large pores, make my skin feel burned,
or cause zits. I've tried loads of name brand and healthfood store brands. I have no problem with good moisturizers
(and there are only a few of these but thats another story) but once those standard sunscreen chemicals are added

Try a sunscreen without AVO and/or Octocrylene.

#6 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

these chemicals cause a roughening of the skin and cause visible large pores.

Yes, indeed it's a terrible overgerneralisation.

Most commercially available sun screens contain comedogenic substances (at least those that I can afford) anyway, I don't think the active ingridients are particularly comdeognic (maybe irritating to some?)
Eva, will you ever sell that sunscreen of yours? The one without any useless additivies.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users