Photo
- - - - -

Why CR After 40 May Cause You To Look Old

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:33 AM

I always thought that CR might make middle-aged folks look older than they really are

http://news.yahoo.co...Tb01N7a7P4azJV4

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:54 AM

just get botox and fat implants ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

I've seen a few 40-50 year old CRers who actually look 10+ years younger than their real age. I wouldn't expect people who started CR at 20-30 for and maintain it for 10-20 years, and then to look older than others their age. It's just not what I've seen. I don't see how this study has anything to do with CR. CR has consistently been shown to slow down aging appearance in dogs, monkeys, rats, mice... which show fewer wrinkles, less grey hairs at advanced ages...

See this here
http://www.facebook....6...153&l=0efc8

Edited by Matt, 11 February 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#4 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

I think Meredith Averill looks fantastic. Although she started at almost 50.

#5 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

we are all defferent, CR does not work for all of us at 20 or 50.

But i defenetly won't use botox or any surgery to look longer, it does not look natural and sain.
That remind me the old "nicçises" on the riviera with a the perfect face and hands full of wrinkles.

#6 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

I've seen a few 40-50 year old CRers who actually look 10+ years younger than their real age. I wouldn't expect people who started CR at 20-30 for and maintain it for 10-20 years, and then to look older than others their age. It's just not what I've seen. I don't see how this study has anything to do with CR. CR has consistently been shown to slow down aging appearance in dogs, monkeys, rats, mice... which show fewer wrinkles, less grey hairs at advanced ages...

See this here
http://www.facebook....6...153&l=0efc8

From my own anecdotal experience, I would have to disagree with you. As people age, the sub dermal fat pockets in the face tend to disappear. This is well known to the plastic surgery business who provide millions of dollars annually worth of fillers to aging baby boomers (Just look at Madonna for an example of fillers). Being a life-long athlete, I have known quite a few runners who maintain a low body mass well into their 50s and 60s -- and they all look much older in the face. Regarding CR specifically, I recently watched an American made documentary that covered the various "remedies" for aging. They focused on a British man named Daniel (? I think that was his name) and while he was thin, his face didn't have youthful fullness that is associated with youth. This makes sense to me: if you are intentionally starving yourself (and that is really the methodology behind CR) or running at a caloric deficit, why wouldn't you expect the body to utilize all of its fat deposits over a long enough time line?

However, as the author indicates, there is more to calculating aesthetic age than simply an individuals face. Everything from body weight / condition, clothing, demeanor, etc has a role to play.

"Guyuron doesn't recommend that people gain weight just to look younger, and one limitation of his study is that the Twinsburg photos included only faces. If they had shown the whole body, the judges may have knocked a couple of years off the age estimates of those who had kept a youthful figure - and added a couple of years for those who were well fed in the middle."

It may be that since people undergoing CR have a low body mass and thinness is often associated with youth, that despite some increased loss of facial adipose tissue, they still have a net gain in youthful appearance. Anyways, its not my intent to bash CR as it is very promising, I simply think it is not a magic bullet for all aspects of aging.

#7 wydell

• Topic Starter
  • 503 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:47 AM

It's not my intent to bash CR either. In fact, I think that it's the most promising mechanism for life extension so far, but I think that it has some downsides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users